Which of the classic calibers in .270, .30-06 or .308 if shooting solid copper only?

Vern400

WKR
They'll all work.
270 is best suited for velocity, and monos NEED velocity. Watch your twist rate.

By the way a 270 in the hands of a good hand loader can do some incredible things like slinging a 150 grain bullet approaching 3100 ft per second with a slow burning powder. The only downside is 277 doesn't have the highest selection of bullets, and the factory twist may not stabilize long boys.

First I want to say I shot Barnes bullets exclusively for 18 seasons in a variety of cartridges. Before last season. Killing well over 100 critters with them and having great results in the woods and on paper. Keep in mind I hunt in Georgia and the longest shot I’ve ever taken was 332 yards. Most of my shots on game are between 100-150 yards. With that being said here is my experience.

I load the 130 gr. TTSX for my 30-06 (3,279 gps av) and 300 WSM (3,536 fps av). I’ve killed close to 25 whitetails with this bullet. Does a great job and all exited. I’ve also shot several with the TSX 165 gr. out of a 30-06 with decent results. Blood trails were sometimes spotty with it.

I don’t have a 270 win. but do load for my 270 WSM. I shoot the 110 gr. TTSX out of it. It’s averaging a little over 3,600 fps. I’ve shot somewhere around 10 whitetails with this setup. It sure does a number on them.

Last year I wanted to give Hammer Bullets a try. I bought a 308 win and Hammer had just came out with the 154 gr. HHT Bullet. Not typically the grain of bullet I’d choose for a mono but I wanted to give them a try. I loaded some test rounds up and headed to the range. I was blown away by the accuracy of them. Being this was the first time I had used Hammer Bullets and the Bergara 308 I really don’t know if it’s the gun or the bullets but I have never shot that good in my life. A 3 shot group at 100 yards measuring .179”. Last year I gave that bullet a good run for its money. I shot 14 deer with it and my sons shot 6 with it. I was blown away by the results. Most were DRT’s but the ones that did run left really good blood trails. Definitely better than what Barnes bullets leave the majority of the time. I’m now a Hammer HHT fan and have ordered them for my 7mm-08’s and 6.5 CM’s to try out this year.IMG_6922.jpeg

SDHNTR

WKR
First I want to say I shot Barnes bullets exclusively for 18 seasons in a variety of cartridges. Before last season. Killing well over 100 critters with them and having great results in the woods and on paper. Keep in mind I hunt in Georgia and the longest shot I’ve ever taken was 332 yards. Most of my shots on game are between 100-150 yards. With that being said here is my experience.

I load the 130 gr. TTSX for my 30-06 (3,279 gps av) and 300 WSM (3,536 fps av). I’ve killed close to 25 whitetails with this bullet. Does a great job and all exited. I’ve also shot several with the TSX 165 gr. out of a 30-06 with decent results. Blood trails were sometimes spotty with it.

I don’t have a 270 win. but do load for my 270 WSM. I shoot the 110 gr. TTSX out of it. It’s averaging a little over 3,600 fps. I’ve shot somewhere around 10 whitetails with this setup. It sure does a number on them.

Last year I wanted to give Hammer Bullets a try. I bought a 308 win and Hammer had just came out with the 154 gr. HHT Bullet. Not typically the grain of bullet I’d choose for a mono but I wanted to give them a try. I loaded some test rounds up and headed to the range. I was blown away by the accuracy of them. Being this was the first time I had used Hammer Bullets and the Bergara 308 I really don’t know if it’s the gun or the bullets but I have never shot that good in my life. A 3 shot group at 100 yards measuring .179”. Last year I gave that bullet a good run for its money. I shot 14 deer with it and my sons shot 6 with it. I was blown away by the results. Most were DRT’s but the ones that did run left really good blood trails. Definitely better than what Barnes bullets leave the majority of the time. I’m now a Hammer HHT fan and have ordered them for my 7mm-08’s and 6.5 CM’s to try out this year.View attachment 687824
Do you still have to manually install the tips in that HHT bullet?

Do you still have to manually install the tips in that HHT bullet?
Yes you do. I heard Steve mention on a podcast that the machine to install them will be built and up and running by mid summer or so. It’s not that big of a deal to install them though.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I suspect you will find the 175 LRX will be essentially identical in performance to the 168 TTSX. The only difference I can tell is that the 175 has a slightly longer boat tail... about 7 grs worth. Otherwise they are identical bullets with different marketing.
I think the 168 basically is an LRX, at least that’s what I’ve read, I guess it’s softer than the 165s, 150s and 130s

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
If I was going to shoot a Barnes out of my 30-06, I’d probably stick with a 150 or even a 130. With my 18” barrel, my 180g accubonds are starting around 2650.

SDHNTR

WKR
Yes you do. I heard Steve mention on a podcast that the machine to install them will be built and up and running by mid summer or so. It’s not that big of a deal to install them though.
Yeah, but on the long list of things I have to do in life, manually installing plastic tips onto bullets is one task that will never be on there. My fingers have better things to do. Just dumb. If I were a bullet manufacturer, I would be embarrassed to ask my customers to do this themselves.

Last edited:

Mojave

WKR
I shoot the 30-06 with 150 Grain GMX and TSX bullets. Works like a champ. The 180 grain GMX and TSX have issues.

Push pure copper bullets as fast as possible.

RWS and Hornady have figured this out. There are multiple podcast from both companies on using high speed and low weights on leadfree bullets.