Which of the big 3 make the strongest towing truck?

Moserkr

WKR
Had an ‘18 ram 2500 and now a ‘20 chevy 3500. Steer clear of chevy. Its more refined than the ram as far as the transmission goes, and its quieter, but the ram was a real truck. The chevy s/@!$ the bed - having issues and dont trust mine or the last one that almost killed me. Drove a friends ford f350 and it was better than both the chevy and ram in all respects. If you can afFORD it, thats a good option. Id still go ram personally, even with the transmission options. Love the cummins and its a good deal, plus not one issue with my old one. I miss that truck…

Cowbell

WKR
I pull 20k lb loads and ranch and we have had our best luck with duramax engines by a mile. I currently have a 15,19, and 22 model. The 19 is a 3/4 ton that I also use for all my hunting trips and it rides like a dream and averages 21 mpg on the Hwy.

OP
J

Jbrow327

FNG
I pull 20k lb loads and ranch and we have had our best luck with duramax engines by a mile. I currently have a 15,19, and 22 model. The 19 is a 3/4 ton that I also use for all my hunting trips and it rides like a dream and averages 21 mpg on the Hwy.
It seems like the duramax has mixed reviews on this forum.

Cowbell

WKR
It seems like the duramax has mixed reviews on this forum.
Imagine that.

But they have always been good to me. A lot of it comes down to some guys don't know what a true ranch work horse truck is because they don't use it in that way.

Our local dealership that carries all 3 definitely has more of one in the shop than the other two.

OP
J

Jbrow327

FNG
Imagine that.

But they have always been good to me. A lot of it comes down to some guys don't know what a true ranch work horse truck is because they don't use it in that way.

Our local dealership that carries all 3 definitely has more of one in the shop than the other two.
Which one is in the shop more? Lol

Well out of the big 3 I prefer a Kenworth first, but a Pete is a close 2nd and I don't really like the new Freightliner much
Yeah, I'd prefer the Pete, but Pete's and KW's are essentially the same truck anymore. When I worked for PACCAR, we had an initiative to build any truck in any plant. I left while that was going on, don't know if it has ever happened. Ive been in both Pete and KW plants and everything is the same on the assy lines. They are kinda like cadillac and chevy....:)

Diesel has more power - gas is more reliable? Emissions problems seem to be the culprit on chevy's/fords, which is super annoying (sensor goes bad and truck won't run, doesn't matter the brand they will leave you stranded). Dodges just suck - drove one to 30K and one to 100K over 6 years - blew one transfer case, 1 transmission, every ball joint multiple times, u-joints failing, only went into limp mode once though, with a hand full of other minor issues. Both dodges were purchased for $10-15K less than entry level ford or chevy, if they sell for he same price now, people are really getting screwed.

It's 100% why. Every single one of the people I know who buy Dodges, or I guess they are Rams now, buy them because they are cheaper than Fords/Chevys/GMCs.
You are just wrong brother - 🤷🏻‍♂️. Unless you pull for a living, you have no idea what you are talking about. They are work horses man. And it isn’t even true anymore…those rams are more than the comparable GMC/Chevy, and about the same price as a ford. Cummins are hands down the best engine out there and their tranny’s hang with the rest. If you aren’t pulling a lot, it won’t matter. Also, I am getting better MPGs than buddies who have duramax and Powerstrokes - its not even close. Also another reason why guys who pull for a living choose cummins.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
Back in the day before emissions, regen's and 6.0's there used to be a saying that if you could build a truck that would pull like a Dodge, last like a Ford, and drive like a Chevrolet you would have the perfect truck. I don't think that is far off.

Back in the day before emissions, regen's and 6.0's there used to be a saying that if you could build a truck that would pull like a Dodge, last like a Ford, and drive like a Chevrolet you would have the perfect truck. I don't think that is far off.
Why do you think I'm about to order Carli suspension for my Cummins powered F250?

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
You are just wrong brother - 🤷🏻‍♂️. Unless you pull for a living, you have no idea what you are talking about. They are work horses man. And it isn’t even true anymore…those rams are more than the comparable GMC/Chevy, and about the same price as a ford. Cummins are hands down the best engine out there and their tranny’s hang with the rest. If you aren’t pulling a lot, it won’t matter. Also, I am getting better MPGs than buddies who have duramax and Powerstrokes - its not even close. Also another reason why guys who pull for a living choose cummins.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't "pull for a living" but I have put a lot of miles on all three makes of trucks while hauling daily. One thing to remember is that running a hotshot truck is different then how most trucks are used. That specific use could lead a person to use one brand over another while a different use could lead to a different truck. I do personally know two different owners of hotshot trucking companies and one uses GM trucks and the other uses Ford and Dodge.

The truth is, they all have pros and cons and each person has to decide what's important to them.

ODB

WKR
Our family business used nothing but duramaxes - they were incredible. We had 4 of them. They hauled 5k-7k lb trailers 6 days a week over hundreds of thousands of miles for about 8 years with zero issues.

rayporter

WKR
brands are sort of regional. some areas are ford country and some are chevy.

here it is ram. i used to be a ford fella but after 3 rams i guess i have changed. i baby them but they have always had a 13000 lb horse trailer on them when the engine cranks. my farrier has 500,000 on his. most horse activities look like a dodge dealer,

but i did see one moron last month with a 14 to 15 thousand lb trailer hooked to a 3/4 tom ram. and i have a friend that pulls a triaxle fifth wheel with a 3/4 ton cheby. just ignorant. if someone like that ever hits me the first thing i will tell the cop is to take a picture of the wt of the trailer tag and the door post on the truck.

running a hotshot truck is different then how most trucks are used.
How so? They pull heavy shit all over the country every day. Thats what diesel trucks were built to do isn’t it?

I know there are a lot of posers who lift them, put wheels and tires on them and use them like a soccer mom. If a hotshot truck isn’t used how a diesel truck was meant to be used, I am going to have to rethink a lot of stuff.

How so? They pull heavy shit all over the country every day. Thats what diesel trucks were built to do isn’t it?

I know there are a lot of posers who lift them, put wheels and tires on them and use them like a soccer mom. If a hotshot truck isn’t used how a diesel truck was meant to be used, I am going to have to rethink a lot of stuff.
These are light duty trucks aimed at a consumer market.

I drive a 3/4 ton because a 1/2 ton won't do a number of the things I demand a truck do. And is certainly less comfortable doing some of the it will do.

Can't you at least get a medium duty truck, you know one that's built and sold for the commercial market, before you come play the condescending super trucker?

svivian

WKR
When you are on the freeway, pay attention to what the guys pulling for a living are driving. Hotshots, transporters etc…most drive cummins. I have a side gig transporting and every time I pick something up, its like I am pulling into a Ram dealership.
Must be Geographical.... my father in law does this full time for living and drives a ford. I do several jobs for him when he is on long hauls and every time and pull into a site with the 40' trailer I see mostly fords waiting to be loaded. This is in Colorado driving over the passes daily pulling barely legal loads.

All his buddies who also drive for a living are driving fords...

With that said they will all do the job the same and its down to personal preference just my .02

M-Wig

Lil-Rokslider
We have three 6.7 Powerstrokes that have all been great trucks. I had a 6.0 that treated me like an abusive spouse so whatever you do don't go used on that route. I have buddies with great luck on the older Duramax engines. Not sure on the latest versions.

Here's what I've learned about diesel trucks and their reputations (around my neck of the woods).

-Everyone will tell you the problems with a Ford. Whether they've owned and/or driven one or not. If they didn't exprience it themselves they know a guy.
-No one has ever had an issue with a Cummins. I've known guys that have done major engine or transmission work that will tell you it's only ever had routine maintenance. I know Toyota guys the same way.
-Don't ever hear anything about a Chevrolet. It's odd because everyone I knew as a kid was in the Chevy camp.