Which manufacturer can we put some pressure on?

Dave0317

WKR
Seems like there are some market gaps in the rifle scope market that should be filled.
Is there truly just not a market for a reasonably price scope, that holds zero, has good reticle options, and dials accurately?

SWFA stays out of stock, Leupold and about everyone else got rid of any of their fixed powers, which usually held zero well. Leupold dropped some reticle options in their mid and lower priced scopes, so there is nothing all that useful at that sub $500 price range anymore.

Maybe Maven could do it? Small enough to be an agile and responsive company if they choose. Experienced enough and savvy enough to design something that could compete with the SWFA 6x, and come in at a similar or just slightly higher price point.

All I want is a fixed 6 or a 3-9 with a great Mil reticle, accurate tracking, pass Forms drop test, and cost under $500.

Who is with me?

OP
Dave0317

Dave0317

WKR
I’m sure Steiners are great, but their cheapest scopes put you into a price range of the Mavens and cheaper NFs as well.

What I’m wishfully hoping, is for someone to try to compete with SWFA. With SWFA always selling out of stock, it would be nice to see someone come up with a similar product. I would think you could even improve a bit, and beat them out of a lot of sales. Their designs are somewhat dated. Could add side parallax adjustment, locking turrets with zero stop, other reticle options, etc.

Credo is close. I think if they added anything, it would up the price, and you would be back in Maven territory. Maybe I just need to stop being cheap, lol. But, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask someone for a good utilitarian hunting scope to compete with the SWFA.

Macintosh

WKR
All I want is a brand new truck with 4x4, lifted, balls-out tires, good trim inside, and a reliable engine, for 15,000.

Actually, what I really want is a contractor who will build my 3000 sq ft architect-designed house on a nice piece of land in a desireable area for 200,000 all-in. On time.

Seriously, I think you’d have better luck holding your breath until we get an inspiring political leader in the US that isnt divisive. Ive heard all the arguments from everyone here on why they think its possible, and frankly I think it’s a pipe-dream to even consider it.

OP
Dave0317

Dave0317

WKR
😂

Yeah, sometimes I forget, I’m really an outlier with my preferences, and even the rokslide type hunters as a whole are a very small minority of all scope purchasers.

Much like the car market, most people want all kinds of features, bells, whistles, etc. So much so, that they are willing to sacrifice reliability and longevity in exchange. Most hunters are definitely going to grab a $200 scope packed with “features” over a $300-$500 simple and reliable scope that might even be (gasp) “fixed magnification!”.

sndmn11

WKR
Your best bet to get the scope that you think is perfect but 99.9999% of the market thinks is dumb would be to start your own company. Alternatively, try to buy SWFA.

Rokslider Bob is your target market. There are SWFA 6x and 3-9x in the classifieds right now between $500-650 that didn't sell right away. That situation should tell you a company producing the exact same thing, but more readily available, would need a lower price point.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I would go for 6x but what I really want is a 2-10x40 ffp with two rotations (min) of elevation, that tracks, and is bomb proof 600 ish bucks and 16(ish) oz

Marshfly

WKR
Credo is close. I think if they added anything, it would up the price, and you would be back in Maven territory. Maybe I just need to stop being cheap, lol. But, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to ask someone for a good utilitarian hunting scope to compete with the SWFA.
The Credo retails for $550. The Maven is $1200. But the Maven is 10 ounces heavier than the Credo. The Credo 3-9x40 with a dialing turret is exactly what a lot of us are asking for. The Mark 4 2.5-10 is a money scope too if it would hold up. (Maybe it will.)

I own an SWFA 6x. It feels like trash. The turrets suck. Mushy as hell. Clicks are uncertain. The Parallax is stiff to turn. It's a junky scope that happens to hold zero. I've owned two BTW. Both were like this so it wasn't a one off thing.

With a lot of guys moving to 6CM, 6ARC, and 223 there is an opportunity there to build ultralight rifles that still shoot very well. My 6ARC is sub 5 and half pounds without a scope. I don't want some mid 20 ounce scope on it. Less than 20 ounces for sure.

Hnthrdr

WKR
The Credo retails for $550. The Maven is $1200. But the Maven is 10 ounces heavier than the Credo. The Credo 3-9x40 with a dialing turret is exactly what a lot of us are asking for. The Mark 4 2.5-10 is a money scope too if it would hold up. (Maybe it will.)

I own an SWFA 6x. It feels like trash. The turrets suck. Mushy as hell. Clicks are uncertain. The Parallax is stiff to turn. It's a junky scope that happens to hold zero. I've owned two BTW. Both were like this so it wasn't a one off thing.

With a lot of guys moving to 6CM, 6ARC, and 223 there is an opportunity there to build ultralight rifles that still shoot very well. My 6ARC is sub 5 and half pounds without a scope. I don't want some mid 20 ounce scope on it. Less than 20 ounces for sure.
A dialing 3-9 credo would be great, I have 3 of those scopes and they are super solid little scopes especially at 550 price

tater

WKR
Get a design nailed down, set up fifty pre-orders and do it yourself. Call it the Rokslide 1000 (be sure to give Ryan 5% for using the name).

This company has been the manufacturer for a LOT of brands for a long time (including SWFA from my understanding).