which Kimber?

mac53

FNG
I am getting ready to buy my first true expensive rifle to Mule Deere, Elk, Whitetail, and Antelope with. Hunting ranges would vary from 50yards to 400 yards.
I have settled on Kimber rifles for this {I have a Montana that I like that is why Kimber}

I am having trouble figuring out which rifle I want though. I have been thinking about the Adirondack in 308 or the Mountain Ascent in 308 or 30-06

There is none around here that I can look at they have to be ordered.

By the time I add a muzzle brake to the Adirondack there is 200.00 difference in price, so I am thinking to just go with the Ascent.

So, what say you if you own one of these would you buy the same one or go a different route?

What do you like and dislike?
tyia

Grumman

WKR
Not trying to talk you out of another rifle but I like my Montanas better than the other two. I don’t care for the dipped stocks or their fluted bolts. What caliber is your Montana?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you're going to be looking at the used market for an Ascent, an Adirondack or a Montana. I agree with Grumman as to a preference for Montanas.

If you added 7-08 for consideration, there certainly won't be a need for the extra expense of a brake, not that I see a requirement for one on a 308 or 30-06. I guess that's just a personal decision. Good luck with your search. Curious what you're able to find out there.

h2so4

WKR
The ascent, Adirondack have not been made in a while (couple of years?). Second hand market is only source and they go quickly. There are some new Kimber rifles that might be a good fit. I think the pro Dessolve.

OP
M

mac53

FNG
My Montana is a 30-06 that I bought used.
I did look at the pro desolve and like what I see. And I have thought about another Montana also.
But just wanting something a little different I guess.

wildcat33

WKR
I have a Montana with a brake and remove it before hunting season. Shots are often quick and I’m bad about ear pro.

Going back between brake and no brake I don’t notice a ton of difference.

Unckebob

WKR
The ascent, Adirondack have not been made in a while (couple of years?). Second hand market is only source and they go quickly. There are some new Kimber rifles that might be a good fit. I think the pro Dessolve.

I haven't seen one in real life, but my understanding is that the muzzle brakes are not removable.

If I went with a '06, I might want a muzzle brake when I hunted. Otherwise, I would not use one except for range time.

I love my Kimber Hunter by the way.

h2so4

WKR
@Unckebob dang, you are probably right. Why wouldn’t they thread the barrel? Who doesn’t want a threaded barrel these days? Between muzzle devices and suppressors it should be a no brained. Unless it’s just a method to upsell to a higher price point.

Unckebob

WKR
Just a cut and crown away.

That's basically what the Kimber Hunter is. The Pro version has a better looking stock (maybe) and the muzzle brake.

Unless someone wants that stock really bad, they should just save some money and get the Hunter if they don't want the permanent brake.

The mtn ascent and Adirondack are still on the site, they don’t make them anymore? I had not heard that, but also haven’t tried to buy one

OP
M

mac53

FNG
I have looked at their website and it really doesn't give much information about their rifles.
I talked to the local gun shop and the catalog that he pulled out was a 2022 catalog and it had both the Ascent and Adirondack listed in it.

I think I want the Adirondack for the shorter barrel. But the Ascent has more choices in caliber.
I have never messed with a 7mm-08 would this be a good caliber for my intended use or would I be better off with the 308.

Have also thought about a 6.5prc but know absolutely nothing about it. So as you can see this rifle is one that
I will keep the rest of my life and will be used quite a bit that is why I am putting so much thought into it.

Sorry about the rambling

Guess Kimber availability is regional; by and large they have been unobtainable where I am for some time even with ordering online. I'm just now starting to see Kimber Hunters and Hunter Pros becoming available at least on line; none local to go fondle.

Not much help other than buy what is available or be prepared to wait an unknown person of time (kind of like SWFA scopes - crap shoot when available).

I have looked at their website and it really doesn't give much information about their rifles.
I talked to the local gun shop and the catalog that he pulled out was a 2022 catalog and it had both the Ascent and Adirondack listed in it.

I think I want the Adirondack for the shorter barrel. But the Ascent has more choices in caliber.
I have never messed with a 7mm-08 would this be a good caliber for my intended use or would I be better off with the 308.

Have also thought about a 6.5prc but know absolutely nothing about it. So as you can see this rifle is one that
I will keep the rest of my life and will be used quite a bit that is why I am putting so much thought into it.

Sorry about the rambling
I don’t think anything would ever know the difference between a 7/08 and a .308 in practical terms… I have watched a few roosies fall to the 7/08, and they worked as expected… with your range criteria, it’s a good option… I have had a few and they are a cool cartridge.

If you only plan on shooting factory ammo, the .308 is attractive in that sense, but just performance on game from elk down to 400yds, the 7/08 is a good choice

Unckebob

WKR

Sorry about the rambling

The 7mm-08 may be the best of the 6.5 CM and 308. Not too s small, not too big, The only downside to picking it - factory ammo can be hard to find. If you get one, make sure you have enough ammo for this season.

Although they had no 7mm-08 ammo on Saturday,, my local Cabelas had loads of choices for 6.5CM, 308, 270, 7mm REM Mag, and 30-06.

There are some mountain ascents and adorondacks herehttps://kimberfirearmsusa.com/mountain-ascent/ I was able to put 270's in my cart.

and Gunbroker..

Last edited: