Which GPS unit for a non Techie

stevevan

WKR
I need your recommendation. I've pretty much illiterate when it comes to understanding todays new technology. What I want is a hand held GPS unit that is very simple to use and has a good sized screen. Planning a hunt with mixed public/private ownership and I want to be able to discern where I am and the ownership. Which unit of GPS would fit my needs and do I need to purchase a card or anything else to achieve what I need> Thank you

pirogue

WKR
I haven’t used mine since I started using ON X on my phone. So much faster to zoom in and out. And if you are going where no cell service, just download, use offline, and can stay in airplane mode. Hardly any battery drIn at all.

nobody

WKR
Your cell phone. You already know how to use it, add a mapping program like goHUNT, onX, or basemap and you’ll be surprised how intuitive it is

Another vote for your phone. ONX is great and I use it. You can also download Backcountry Navigator for free. They have a ton of different map and aerial options. You just download what you want a head of time if you won't have cell service. ON X is tough to beat though.

If you’re worried about going all in on a phone, I recommend picking up one of the Garmin etrex. You won’t be out too much cash. Use it as a backup to your phone until you’re comfortable. I will say I use three different gps apps on my phone (gaia, Garmin, onx/GOHUNT). It’s my way of having redundancy. I also run GIS for work so I may custom maps that I can run in Avenza. Most forest service and BLM are using Avenza for maps. They are/can be paper maps that are made digital and have GPS location capability. I really tried to dumb that down.

Montucky

WKR
Classified Approved
So if I’m interpreting your original post seems like you need a more simple approach to technology. Meaning: onX on your phone isn’t working & you want something more simple. If so, I have the Garmin 64 unit. I use it as a backup if I lose my phone. Yes it taked an sd card of your choice. It’s super lightweight. Super fast at finding signal, no touchscreen bs just easy push button interface navigation. Easy menus to navigate through. Takes AA batteries. Comes with preloaded topo for the lower 48.

Garmin 64st is the “easy button” my friend

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
The 64 series are plenty good. Does everything needed for hunting. Ive been let down before while using phone as gps. The Garmin units havnt failed me yet. Retired 2, lost 1.

Montucky

WKR
Classified Approved
As you decide, keep in mind OnX no longer makes the sd card chips that were for handheld gps.
Was not aware of that….so do you have to download state data from OnX website to your desired device…?

I would just do onX app on your smartphone and laptop version. Simple, easy to learn, low initial cost. Straightforward download from provided link. Not only used for field navigation but a good source for E-scouting. I use onX for other non-hunting related activities like cycling, hiking, snowshoeing, backcountry fishing, looking for real estate, etc..