Which Garmin tracking/training collar?

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
I currently have a sportdog 1825 that is functioning well and can use that for training purposes with drills. I have realized that I need a collar with GPS tracking capabilities when hunting in order to develop/work my pup the way I want to.

I would like the ability to train/correct with multiple options, so I think the alpha 10 is out. Who out there is running an alpha 100, 200, or pro 550, and what are your likes/dislikes? With some experience using one, which would you get now?

Superdoo

WKR
I'll be picking up a pro 550 today. I run two dogs and the idea of having to look at a screen to before I issue a correction is a non-starter. You could effectively do this on the astro and the newest touch screen model, but it would be a set level of stim on the astro and the newest model does have side buttons to change the stim level.
The sleek design of the 550 puts it over the top for me.
I do think the latest track/ train model with communications and SOS built in is a nice feature, but I'm drawn back to the simplicity and ruggedness of buttons and switches, especially when I'm wearing gloves.
If you go to gundog supply and watch the videos, they are extremely helpful.

Sharppse

FNG
I am in the same boat. I am leaning toward the pro 550. I will be following as well to see what others say

AndrewMT34

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Alpha 200 and TT15x collar, I like it for the tracking/gps function and that it pairs nicely with my Instinct watch. For me at least applying corrections with the units is a bit of a hassle.

If you think you will need to use the tone/stim functions quite a bit, i'd lean towards the Pro 550. The 550 is like half the price too.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
I literally just went through this last week.

I wanted the 550, I still might end up with it, but I went with the Alpha 10. The #1 reason I went with the Alpha 10 over the 550 is because I run multiple dogs. The 550 will only track one dog at a time, I want the tone/vibration function when a dog is on point (in case I don't have eyes on them). The 550 will only do that if you are toggled onto that dog. For example, you're on dog #1, dog #2 goes on point and you never get a notification unless you toggle over to that dog or you eventually see it with your eyes. I also didn't like that you could only do 3 dogs on it.

I steered away from the Alpha and Astro models with the full fledged gps screen, I wanted something a little more simple.

If I just had one dog, I'd go with the 550 in a heartbeat. I THINK I'll like the Alpha 10, I just opened the box with the remote and 3 collars about 30 minutes ago, haven't had time to try them out yet.

Deepwoods

FNG
Alpha 100 for two years with almost daily use. I even purchased mine refurbished. Hands down the best system I have used (compared to DT systems and sportdog setups). One minor gripe, I would like a better way to know the dog is on point without using a beeper collar so I am considering a bell or Garmin instinct watch for when my layers are thick, and I cannot feel the handheld unit vibrate. However, my GSP stays pretty close so I can usually see her on point unless we are in tall brush conditions so it's not a major issue. I also wear hearing protection, so I don't always hear the beep, especially when bushwacking. I don't think you can go wrong with an alpha 100 or 200.

parshal

WKR
The Alpha series are perfect for hunting where you're not constantly changing the stim levels. The 5xx series are more of a training collar where instant access to stim level is required and can easily be done without looking at the transmitter.

I have both. The Pro series are used specifically for training and the Alpha for hunting.

The alpha 200 or 10 is what I would go with, but it depends on how you plan on using it. Multiple dogs? Running 6-12 hounds at a time? Walking or in a truck most of the time? All questions that lead to one or the other. You could call DU Supply and talk to them about your situation and hunting style. They are great and sell both units.

*zap*

WKR
I used tri-tronics pro 500 for many years training dogs so I am planning to get a 550 pro plus here soon for my 6 month old. It is going to be close for fit at the smallest neck size thou....fingers crossed.

Superdoo

WKR
The 550 will only track one dog at a time, I want the tone/vibration function when a dog is on point (in case I don't have eyes on them). The 550 will only do that if you are toggled onto that dog. For example, you're on dog #1, dog #2 goes on point and you never get a notification unless you toggle over to that dog or you eventually see it with your eyes.
This is a great point and one I had not considered!
It doesn't sway my decision yet, unless you can tell me how easy it is to adjust stim level on the fly with gloves on... seriously. Any input there would be great.
I did see an image of a Fenix watch with 3 dogs worth of info on it. That could be a good way to get the 550+ to have the full ability to notify a dog is on point in a multi dog scenario.

To add clarity to my previous post, the new collar I was referring to is the Alpha 200 as the "new model".

I still can't understand why they refuse to make an Alpha series transmitter with a toggle switch for dog selection.

I started running the 550 pro plus with a TT15 collar last year and have had zero second thoughts about it. Chose it over the Alpha 10 because my first Garmin collar was a pro 70, which is almost the same remote setup. The ease of use is by far the best part. You can manipulate it and change stim levels without having to look down. I simply clip it to my waist belt on my vest and never have to look at it again. I just find comfort in the tactile buttons/toggles that click when you adjust them. Also like there is a dedicated tone button, with two stim buttons always available. I do wish there was a dedicated vibrate button or that it could be configured so one of the stim buttons could be changed to a dedicated vibrate.

Pairing the collar and handheld have gotten a bad rap, but once you do it a few times and get it down, it takes less than 30 seconds.

This year I bought a second-hand Garmin Fenix so I can see the pup's direction/range without having to grab the handheld. With the watch and Garmin Explore app (which is pretty frustrating) you can track all your stats and the dog stats, if you're into that thing. Great for tracking conditioning workouts at least.

The battery life of the handheld is great as well. I've hunted consecutive full days without charging the handheld, when I did plug it still had about half a charge left.

I do run only one dog (for now), so until this thread I have not considered the limitations with tracking multiple dogs at a time and the alerts...

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
Also, call
This is a great point and one I had not considered!
It doesn't sway my decision yet, unless you can tell me how easy it is to adjust stim level on the fly with gloves on... seriously. Any input there would be great.
I did see an image of a Fenix watch with 3 dogs worth of info on it. That could be a good way to get the 550+ to have the full ability to notify a dog is on point in a multi dog scenario.

To add clarity to my previous post, the new collar I was referring to is the Alpha 200 as the "new model".

I still can't understand why they refuse to make an Alpha series transmitter with a toggle switch for dog selection.
I do believe you can pair it with a Garmin watch and get notifications, I have a watch I wear daily and didn't want to buy another watch to keep track of since the only time I would be wearing it is hunting with the dogs.

I'm scheduled to head west for pheasant and grouse next week, and I'll probably run the new Alpha 10 collars a few times this week as well. I'll report back what my experience with it is.

Another tip, buy from Gun Dog Supply. I talked to Steve on the phone last week about this since I was going back and forth between the Alpha 10 and 550. He recommended the Alpha 10 for what I needed, but ended the call saying that if it doesn't work for me, send it back and get the 550 since they have a 30 day money back guarantee. His videos on all of the collars are pretty helpful as well, in case you haven't found those yet.

OP
H

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies so far, this is the feedback I was looking for. I haven't watched the gundogsupply videos yet, but will tonight.

I have an old wirehair that can't handle hunting anymore, but gave me a lot of experience to draw from. He had little cooperation, so I had to use the whistle or collar to tell him where to hunt quite a bit. I have an 8 month old wirehair that just ran his NA test with a 112 score yesterday. This pup has boatloads of cooperation and checks back in frequently, but I have come to the realization that I will be hunting cover that will put him out of eyesight, and that if I'm going to continue building his independence and search I need to be able to watch where he is and what he's doing when I can't see him. I have been able to hunt quietly with him cueing off of my nonverbals and am going to continue building on that.

My breeder has an alpha 10 and a pro 550. She has recommended the 550 for train and track function, but she just has her husband run the alpha 10 if they are running multiple dogs. Her feedback is the alpha 10 is great for tracking as long as you don't need training/correction quickly. She likes the 550 pro because it has that, with the tracking added. She has been running an instinct watch and said she usually gets the point indication in her watch better than through the transmitter, especially with layers on..

I talked to another handler over the weekend that has the alpha 100 or 200 (can't remember which) and he said you have to be pretty carefull with positions of the touch screens or you can set them off bouncing around or in a pocket.

I like gundogsupply, but I might be getting a discount code from the NAVHDA test (they only have a few, are waiting to see how many people want one to use), or my breeder is a Garmin distributer and let me know to call her if I don't get one of those codes.

Superdoo

WKR
I like gundogsupply, but I might be getting a discount code from the NAVHDA test (they only have a few, are waiting to see how many people want one to use), or my breeder is a Garmin distributer and let me know to call her if I don't get one of those codes.
Definitely get the NAVHDA code. It's 30% off and you buy from Garmin directly. You can also use it for anything Garmin, not just dog stuff. You paid $$ for the test, so now it's time to recoup!

I went to Scheels over lunch today. I needed to get my hands on both the 550+ and the 200. After handling them, I'm now leaning towards the 200i.
The rocker switches on the 550 are really tiny and they move a little too easily for my liking. They just don't have the tactile feel of previous units. I thought about getting a glove and trying, but I didn't need to. I know I wouldn't like it. This was not an easy thing for my mind to accept. I have been looking at this model since it came out and telling myself that it was the answer.
Think Wayne's World and the White Stratocaster...

1665429398648.png

After seeing that the 200i lets you immediately change the stim level after it's applied by using the rocker on the side, I saw myself having the functionality I wanted.
My current state of mind is that I can run the 200i with constant stim on each dog and another button to lock the touch screen. Then I can also have a second page that will let me have tone on each dog with the third button being compass. I'd probably stop there to eliminate confusion.
That's how I foresee using it for hunting. Training setup would be more focused on one dog. The customization you can achieve is really pretty great and it looks very easy to do.

I also plan on selling my InReach Mini as the 200i (although larger) gives me all the functions of the mini, albeit with worse battery life. I thought about keeping both, but bird hunting and big game hunting overlap and I'm not paying for two subscriptions in order to save a couple ounces. Much to the chagrin of every Rokslider out there!

1665429536141.png

I figure if I buy the 200i from Scheels, it's a breeze to bring it back if I decide I hate it.

Why 200i over standard 200??? $50 for a satcom is an easy decision!

Dos XX

WKR
From a dog tracking standpoint, what does a Fenix do over an Instinct? I think an Instinct will track 3 dogs with a 550 Plus, won't it?

I have 3 dogs and will run them all at the same time. Have an alpha 100 which was purchased first. I have since purchased a pro 550+. Also have a Garmin fenix watch.

I’ll state that I’m fairly tech savvy and work in technology. I pretty much hate the Alpha if you need to make corrections quickly. Whether it’s a dog chasing a flushed bird or toning him in due to getting to far out to the side. Whatever the situation is. The alpha requires me to remove it from my vest, ensure im on the right dog and make a correction if needed. Plus it’s not exactly the most intuitive. I have mine layed out with nick, constant, and tone for the 3 buttons, which I’m sure is fairly universal. Still is a little cumbersome if you have to scroll to another dog. A lot of time passes in real world scenarios when doing this.

550 plus and the watch is the wtg for me. I can view all my dogs with this setup at a glance. Once you know how to use the receiver you’re good to go. I never have to look at it, just wear it on my belt. If I need to make a correction because my dogs chasing a deer or encroaching a roadway I can do it immediately without a lot of hassle. I do still use my alpha 100 as back up when out hunting but pretty much never touch it. Other plus side to this, the 550 plus is an excellent training collar. The ability to hit 3 stim levels using the two buttons in a situation is great. All my dogs operate on 3, within that I can hit low 3, med 3, and high in the blink of an eye.

I’m not running hounds just bird dogs. We field trial and they have some range. Never feel like I’m without not using all the mapping features. Simpler is better for me personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hunt with many people, who all use alphas, and I have a 550+. They are primarily just used for tracking in the field and that is where their usable functionality ends. For the way I hunt and communicate with my dogs the 550+ is the hands down winner. It is more versatile when it comes to training, and I can correct my dog on the fly if needed in the field aka I can actually stop my dog if he breaks with the level of stim needed and then go back to lower levels for recall, changing direction, etc..

Best combo is the 550 plus and fenix watch IMO for bird dogs.

The alpha 10 is a bit of a toy IMO.

Superdoo

WKR
@Roman Nose and @cuttiebrownbow, how has the 550+ been while you're wearing gloves? Do you get used to the feel of the small toggle switch to select dogs?
I have always like to use tone before stim and figure I'd just transition to the more "traditional" method of no warnings and straight to stim with the 200i.