Which company is making the best zip off base layer bottoms?

Elite

WKR
I have been looking for awhile now and can’t find any direct reviews on the new pants the major companies make.

First lite look a decent match but they do not list any weights of exact amount of merino wool content?

Kings camo look promising but have no experience with them and there quality

Kuiu does not offer any 3/4 length to avoid pressure points in hiking boots

Curious if anyone has direct comparison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The kuiu medium are up on my calves high enough to not interfere with Crispi idaho boot. 5'10 30 inch inseam. Only gripe is wish it was a double zipper since I use them skiing and snowboarding.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
The kuiu medium are up on my calves high enough to not interfere with Crispi idaho boot. 5'10 30 inch inseam. Only gripe is wish it was a double zipper since I use them skiing and snowboarding.

Are those the 200s?

I like my Kuiu but the way they arranged the hook and loop on the waist the hook can bite in to you. I have to tuck my base layer in to the zip-offs.

I don't know, these are probably 4 years old.Hard faced fleece. I know they have newer ones that I saw at the store In dallas when I took my kids there a few months back that were more straight legged. If it's like every other company they don't have.The model number on the clothes. I will check tonight since i'm loading my vehicle up.

Minus 33 makes some nice thicker ones if anyone wants heavier weighted. The velcro that holds the end the zipper stops on crapped put on me within a year, wife fixed that and ive had them for a few years since and they're great.

I also have a pair of the lightweight first lite boot height ones and i like them, but im careful with them since they seem pretty fragile. So far they have held up well tho. I dont like that the zipper is at the bottom when they're worn as it can dig into my calfs and they tend to come undone since i have larger calfs also. Minus 33 ones the zipper is at the waistline when they're zipped up, i prefer that design but they didn't make lighter weight ones at least last time i checked

Came here to say the Kuiu Peloton 97 zip off bottoms are awesome.. stop just at the top of your boots, insanely light, good stretch, warm, and very good at wicking moisture....

...then I realized they discontinued them :(

Lowg08

WKR
First lite is 95% merino and I’m a believer in them. I use the kiln and furnace. Of course. I use as my base layer I guess you would say. Knee length wick boxers and over the calf merino wool socks. This year mostly the first lite piston compression socks.

Mark.c

FNG
I have had good results with the ULTRA Merino 145 Zip-Off Bottom. Not too bulky under your pants and comfortable. I also carry zip-off puffy pants when it’s really cold for when I am static rather than wearing heavier pants. Makes for easy layering.

Jon_G

WKR
Have you looked into stone glacier? I haven't used theirs but I have a ton of their shirts in synthetic and merino. I also have had a couple of their jackets and their pants. Never have been disappointed with anything they make and their customer service is second to none. I will get their zip off bottoms soon too.

Seeknelk

WKR
Came here to say the Kuiu Peloton 97 zip off bottoms are awesome.. stop just at the top of your boots, insanely light, good stretch, warm, and very good at wicking moisture....

...then I realized they discontinued them :(
WHAT!!?? WHY? What the heck would make em do something so insane!?
Oh, I bet they are making them even better! I hope!
Glad I grabbed a fresh pair.

huntnful

WKR
I like the lighter weight kuiu merino zip offs for any mild weather hunts.

But the stone glacier merino zip off bottoms are a better waist design. They are just a heavier weight and you'll burn up in them with any moderate hiking at all.

BBob

WKR
Oh, I bet they are making them even better! I hope!
No 97 Hoodies listed either. I guess that's why they've been one sale so often this year. They must be doing an update. If not they are stupid because they are the best thing out there for warmth to weight :)

And all of my Kuiu bottoms are above boot height.

Last edited:

Dennis

WKR
I like the Kuiu zip offs bottoms but no experience with the others. I have both the Kuiu 145 and 200 weight. I rarely ever wear the 200 weight as they are a little too heavy and tight in my calves. My favorite combination is the Kuiu 145 merino bottoms and or 97 weight Kuiu Peloton bottoms. I wear either one as a base layer, but as the weather gets colder I wear the Peloton over the wool. It is nice to take off one as the weather warms.

KUIU 97 is the best I’ve found and they were the first zip off base layer.

I had the original SG synthetic base and did not like them. Haven’t tried the grid fleece SG bottom because the peloton 97 is too good at what they do.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ya I’m hoping the kuiu p97 is getting updated. The only thing I would change is the length. I understand the boot height but I have a 34 inseam and it’s hard to close the gap between my socks and those so another 2 inches would be great

No comparison to those mentioned, but I’ve had no complaints with the Sitka Merino 330 zip offs. 5’6” average build, medium fit me well and I forget they’re on until I start heating up from activity.