Which company has the best base layers

I am wondering what everyone thinks about the best base layers out there and, in my opinion, First Lite and Sitka have the best options but I struggle to decide which is better.

Wapiti151

WKR
Mine is hands down Sitka. I wish they had more wool options but I love every one of my core pieces. I like FL too, but the fit and comfort doesn't match Sitka, IMO.

I've been very happy with anything merino or merino blends.

My next base layer purchase will be another set of First Lite.

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
I have the FL 1/4 zip merino. It’s nice. I have a little heavier weight Fjällräven merino base layer that’s better for late season and is very comfortable. I have some other neutral color Icebreaker shirts that also work well and can be worn out and about without looking like I just came out of the woods, even if I just did. 😀

jonnyviceroy

Lil-Rokslider
Regardless of brand the only worthwhile baselayer for most of my high country use is merino wool. Hard for me to even consider anything else. I’ve liked and tried merino from Sitka, First Lite, Kuiu, as well as Kings. First like and kings were most comfortable to me personally, I found the kuiu one to be really itchy and the Sitka got really stinky really fast in comparison to the others in my experience. At the end of the day it’s just whatever fits you best and feels most comfortable!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I sold my First Lite base layers when I found Icebreaker 100% merino LS and SS shirts for 1/4 of the price, and bottoms from Minus 33 that are actually long enough. I never cared for KUIU's merino.......couldn't get it to not stink like a wet sheep. FL's camo versions stunk as well when wet. The FL solids weren't as bad, but my Icebreaker and Minus 33 are fine when they get wet. I also have a Red Ram SS top that's fine, and some Karbon brand from Costco that are fine.

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a big fan of the 100% merino icebreaker shirts. Particularly the 200 weight half zip

Turkeyfreak12

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer the First Lite base layers but actually had some success with the Badlands ones as well. The price of the Black Ovis ones makes me think Ill give them a try when my current ones wear out.

Lowg08

WKR
I really like my first lite. Specifically the kiln 250 weight is my favorite. I do really like my kuiu pro merino 145 zip off. They are comfortable and warm too

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve had and liked Kuiu, Sitka and FL and I prefer the FL, especially for heavy weight. Woolpower also makes some *very* heavy items that I like.

*zap*

WKR
Depends what your looking for. If you want light then sekri has some very good stuff with silver fibers. Kuiu has some good zip off stuff. Smartwool has good wool stuff..I have been very happy with my smartwool socks....my sekri's are very good for light base duty and come in tall's.

eoperator

WKR
Depends what your looking for. If you want light then sekri has some very good stuff with silver fibers. Kuiu has some good zip off stuff. Smartwool has good wool stuff..I have been very happy with my smartwool socks....my sekri's are very good for light base duty and come in tall's.
I love Smartwool socks also, not as tight as darn tough

ccc9092

FNG
Stone Glacier has really good base layers but any backpacking branded gear base layers would work equally as well. All big name brands are good but I would like to check out Black Ovis, all the gear I've bought from them has been badass.

I bought Meriwool brand merino base layers for our Sep NW MT hunt. They worked great for that trip and they've held up perfectly during bird and deer seasons here in Iowa.

I have 2 of the 250 weight quarter zip tops and 2 of the 100 weight bottoms. They are soft, durable, and very odor resistant. I highly recommend these to anybody.

barrister

WKR
I really like the First Lite merino bottoms/boxers and the Black Ovis merino blend tops. My upper bottoms tend to itch with 100% merino and the blend takes that edge off for me. Didn’t care for the fit of the Black Ovis bottoms.

Randle

WKR
There is a video thar was a round table about this subject but i cant find it
Maybe someone has it saved . I have been using sitka core light and like with a light merino over that.

Vandy321

WKR
I am wondering what everyone thinks about the best base layers out there and, in my opinion, First Lite and Sitka have the best options but I struggle to decide which is better.
What makes Sitka and FL the best options, in your opinion?