Which brand isobutane fuel are you using for your stoves?

ams30gts

FNG
Which brand isobutane fuel are you using for your stoves? Are any particular brand better than the others? I am only using it with a BRS 3000T. I currently have the Coleman because that's what they sell at Walmart.

Primus/Optimus seems pretty reliable. The JetBoil branded stuff seems pretty good.

I've used Olicamp, but didn't like it as much. I just didn't seem to last as long or produce as much heat, for whatever reason

BBob

WKR
Coleman doesn't do well in the cold. I use MSR almost exclusively. In the cold it matters but for warm weather it doesn't make much difference what canister mix you use.

MThuntr

WKR
Last I checked they're all made in the same factory. There may be a winter or high elevation blend but otherwise they're same with different labels.

In years of backpacking I've never noticed a difference between any of the brands. Use winter blend for cold weather or high elevation.

pcrossett

FNG
I have only used MSR and have never had any issues with it even at 11k elevation. The coldest temp I have ever used them at was single digits at around 9,800 feet to brew coffee before skiing.

BBob

WKR
One company reportedly makes most (~70%) of the canisters but does that mean that the fuel mix is the same in all? Some of the brands claim different mixes and tests by some seem to confirm better performance in the cold with some over others.

There are plenty of studies/test that show most of them are all the same.

One thing that has been a huge upgrade in this department for me was getting the little refill valve adaptor. Get a big can, refill your little cans a few times. There are a few different ones on Amazon for like 10 bucks. Stick the little one in the freezer for a bit then couple the big can to the little can and open the valve. Use a scale to make sure your not over filling.

Drenalin

WKR
MSR, Jetboil and (maybe?) GSI have been fine for me.

I may be mistaken on the GSI branded ones; it was whatever Academy had at that time.

WMag338

WKR
Jetboil for me since it’s what’s most local stores stock. No issues with them or MSR.

OP
A

ams30gts

FNG
There are plenty of studies/test that show most of them are all the same.

One thing that has been a huge upgrade in this department for me was getting the little refill valve adaptor. Get a big can, refill your little cans a few times. There are a few different ones on Amazon for like 10 bucks. Stick the little one in the freezer for a bit then couple the big can to the little can and open the valve. Use a scale to make sure your not over filling.

That's a really good idea. I already do this with my green propane tanks and saves me a ton.

I’ve tried em all really. But they also make a “winter blend” that I use when super cold but who knows if it’s marketing or any better than other ones. Same cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87TT

WKR
I use whatever is cheapest. In the cold or high altitude, warm them up in your sleeping bag before you get out and use them.