Which boot for heel issues?

I bought a pair of Kenetrek Mtn Extremes last year and went through the break in period. They are terrible on my heels even now. I am a standard width but have a narrow heel/ankle. I also have mild Haglunds. My right foot has a larger bump than the left but it’s making finding a comfortable boot tough. I’ve been using those Silipos gel things to help.

That said, I’m currently looking at Meindl Comfort Fits or Hoffman Explorers. I called both and Meindl said the heel will still be a little stiff and somewhat hard like the Kenetreks. Hoffman said the Explorers have padding in the back. Has anyone had experience with both that could give me some input? Thanks

grfox92

WKR
Is it blisters you are experiencing?

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

OP
C
Is it blisters you are experiencing?

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
Yeah and almost like bruising on the back of my heel (like just below the Achilles’ tendon) from the pressure of the heel area. My heel is fairly narrow

Sounds like you're getting heel slip? Try to return or just cut your losses. Search around - some guys get creative with leuko tape/socks/lacing systems only to find no real solutions, just literally bandaids. Sometimes it works. YMMV

My experience was that the Lowas I bought had heel slip immediately on steep climbs. I loved them otherwise but returned them and got Crispis. No break in period and never any discomfort. They just fit my foot.

Try different brands, preferably from retailers that give you a return window.

That’s kind of how kenetrek fits for pointier heels. They are for broad flat heels.

Salomon quest 4D have the best heel cup.

Schnees have a much narrower heel than kenetrek but you will need to let you heel slide with a proper fitting boot. Not a harsh sharp blistering slip nice gentle slide with a liner.

Lathrop has more padding than Schnees will need similar size but the boots are not waterproof for long so have been a disappointment.

I would say Salomon quest 4D is your best bet. They are waterproof for 100 miles or so and serve 90% plus of all hunting terrain. Sidehilling on snowy or rainy hillsides can be a bit slick.

Extrapale

WKR
Leukotape and lacing technique to make your Kenetreks work.

Lots of other choices if your feet are over a 14. Zamberlain has a bunch of good boots.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
I've had similar issues as you. I have a "normal" front half of a foot but my heels are skinnier that the average person apparently. I've had custom boots built for work but they weren't an appropriate boot for hunting (Work wildland firefighting and wore all leather Nicks boots).

I tried Meindl, and Kenetrek and they worked ok but got heel slippage and blisters. Tried Crispis but knew in the store just walking around that they weren't gonna work.

Tried Schnees Beartooth and haven't looked back. They seem to fit my toebox and slimmer heels really well and flex just the right amount for my needs.

Jbehredt

WKR
I’ve made leukotape a preventative thing. If my boots are going on it goes on. 2” strip horizontally across the bay part of both heels. It will stay put for a week easy.

I have pointy heels too and some boots just wreck my heels no matter what. Leukotape just means I can go further without skin blisters before they really get effed. Scarpa chamoz, crispi briksdal SF, and zamberlan 966 have been notably bad. The zamberlans don’t even make sense because they have the same last as my trusted 980s.

Hoffman hunter 10” have played nice with my heels. There seems to be something with the stiffer shorter boots being more likely to put a lot of pressure on them where boots like the 980s and Hoffman 10” don’t. I don’t know if shorter ones just rely more on locking your heel in tight to keep feet from slipping and thus put more pressure on the heel or what.

peterk123

WKR
I have the narrowest heels and smallest ankles on the planet. Schnees beartooth fits great. The lace loops near the top are basically touching, but it's all good.

Lacing is key. Play around with it. I lace normal but every lace hook at the ankle and above gets a half hitch. Locks me in nice. Also, try different footbeds.

OP
C
That’s kind of how kenetrek fits for pointier heels. They are for broad flat heels.

Schnees have a much narrower heel than kenetrek but you will need to let you heel slide with a proper fitting boot. Not a harsh sharp blistering slip nice gentle slide with a liner.

Lathrop has more padding than Schnees will need similar size but the boots are not waterproof for long so have been a disappointment.

I would say Salomon quest 4D is your best bet. They are waterproof for 100 miles or so and serve 90% plus of all hunting terrain. Sidehilling on snowy or rainy hillsides can be a bit slick.
I tried Schnees timberlines and in a 13, my big toe is touching the side/end of the toe box barely so I sent them back. I was going to get a 14 but worried the fit will be sloppy. I really need a 13.5 but most companies don’t make one. The Kenetrek fit fine as a 13

OP
C

I have an older pair of the quest 4d’s and they have fit pretty good without issues. I just really wanted a taller boot

mmac

WKR
I have narrow heel as well and Crispi's seem to fit me very well. I have the Nevada's and then Wyoming. They are the same last so fit the same.

OP
C
I have narrow heel as well and Crispi's seem to fit me very well. I have the Nevada's and then Wyoming. They are the same last so fit the same.
Would the guide fit the same you think? I really want a tall boot

mmac

WKR
I think it is the same as the Nevada, but maybe call Black Ovis, they are always helpful for me.

Franger

FNG
Years of battling a bad combo of D width forefoot, skinny heel with Haglunds on one side, and ankles that roll with no notice; I’d all bit given up.

I thought stiff soles were the answer and I just couldn’t find the one that fit. How wrong I was. There is no such thing as a heel that doesn’t slip. It’s impossible actually. The reason that some heel slip causes blisters and some doesn’t is pressure. Pressure combined with slip causes shear. This causes blisters and other assorted heel pain. I relieved pressure by finally accepting that perfectly sized boots are actually too small.

My recommendation is to find your best fit using a Brannock device then adding a size. My Brannock is somewhere around a 9-9.5 ish. I purchased a 10. In a relatively flexible boot with lots of ankle support. Enter Schnee’s Timberline and Beartooth.

I haven’t had a blister or foot pain all hunting season. Archery elk, rifle elk, from 6500ft sage lands to 12k sidehilling on shale in the Gore, both boots have been a revelation.

OP
C
Years of battling a bad combo of D width forefoot, skinny heel with Haglunds on one side, and ankles that roll with no notice; I’d all bit given up.

I thought stiff soles were the answer and I just couldn’t find the one that fit. How wrong I was. There is no such thing as a heel that doesn’t slip. It’s impossible actually. The reason that some heel slip causes blisters and some doesn’t is pressure. Pressure combined with slip causes shear. This causes blisters and other assorted heel pain. I relieved pressure by finally accepting that perfectly sized boots are actually too small.

My recommendation is to find your best fit using a Brannock device then adding a size. My Brannock is somewhere around a 9-9.5 ish. I purchased a 10. In a relatively flexible boot with lots of ankle support. Enter Schnee’s Timberline and Beartooth.

I haven’t had a blister or foot pain all hunting season. Archery elk, rifle elk, from 6500ft sage lands to 12k sidehilling on shale in the Gore, both boots have been a revelation.
Interesting....I just bought some Meindl comfort fit extremes and while they fit great in the heel, the toe box is big and the ankle/arch area feels too wide. I'm afraid that over time they will stretch out and not support as it's already borderline. They say order a half size down but they don't make a 12.5. Seems like I need a narrow arch/ankle and standard to slightly wider toe box...but not wide.

OP
C

I tried the timberlines in a 13 but my big toe barely hits the side...this would put me in a 14 which I feel like would make the boot way too big. I believe my brannock size is 13.