Which 7mm08 youth rifle?

My kids youth lefty Savage 11 Nikon combo 7-08 with 139GMX "Superformance" ammo.
6y4e7eny.jpg

Shrek

WKR
Cerec_cat , do you handload ? If you do you might try the 300 savage with 150gr boattail bullet pushed by imr 4895 , bl-c2 , or maybe some leverlution powder. I threw in the leverlution powder because the thin cased low pressure lever cartridges are very similar to the 300 savage. If you can get 2600fps with a 150gr boattail you are there. It would not be much for range but 300 yards and under it would be a solid performer. I'm not running any numbers but I'm sure the the dope and lower retained energy would start to make it hard for an inexperienced shooter in the field past about 250 yards. I can get a 7mm-08 to push a 154gr sst to 2750 pretty easy and with the better bc's so more retained energy and less drop. I have and love the 7mm-08 but if you want the 300 savage to take game for a third generation of your family it will do it and probably do it well.

Shrek

WKR
I got curious and looked. Get that 300 savage out and buy a couple boxes of Hornady Superformance 300 savage with 150gr sst and get to practicing. 2700+ fps . All you will ever need for cow elk. Make sure to put a good recoil pad on it before he ever pulls the trigger and get a good scope. If the rifle seems a little heavy it's probably a good thing. It helps tame the recoil. Some reduced recoil loads to start him out. Get the 22lr out to work on trigger squeeze and aiming. What model is the 300 savage ? If there is a quality aftermarket trigger it would be a good investment. Kids really struggle with a hard trigger.
With the money you saved not buying a new rifle you could do a lot with the 300 savage. Replace or cut down the old stock to fit maybe. Bed it. Paint it.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the 300 savage would be a great option for the first big game animal, with the history and memories will make it even more special when its time to pass it on. Than maybe let him pick his rifle in acouple more years.

Buster

WKR
The left-handed comment was meant just for my own sake. The wife, at least one of my kids, and myself are all south paws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Mckinnon

WKR
The left-handed comment was meant just for my own sake. The wife, at least one of my kids, and myself are all south paws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Got it! I guess I got confused. In that case I still think the Vanguard is a great rifle for the price.

I bought the wife (5'1") one last year in the Marlin XS7Y. She shot her first cow elk with it. My daughter shot her first deer last year with it as well. 225 yd one shot kill. She was pleasantly surprised. My daughter has a world of confidence it that rifle. Last weekend, she verified her shot at 100 yds on paper, then on a milk jug at 100 yds, then on a milk jug at 350 yds. She has a ton of confidence in it.

With that being said, my daughter wants her own rifle. We went to Sportsmans and she actually looked at every youth model they had, Savage, Remington, Marlin, and Ruger. Her favorite feeling gun was the Ruger American, which did not come in a youth model, but felt good to her. I would recommend letting the kid handle and move the action to see what feels the best.

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Find the make and model you want (the gun that he will use when he grows up) and then go to Boyd's http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ and buy another stock. Cut one of the stocks to a length that fits (this will help with recoil) and put on a recoil pad. I would use a Past recoil pad for him to wear to absorb the kick for at least practice. So, if you buy the Tikka with the stainless synthetic options and buy a reasonably price wood stock to cut off, you should be good to go. The gun will serve him for as long as he needs one. I personally would buy an older 700 and go from there, but I like the Remingtons.