Where to buy powder?

Whip

WKR
I have a new custom flintlock gun headed my way. I have pretty much everything I need for it with the exception of priming powder. Finding any kind of powder is hard enough but FFFF seems just about impossible to find locally. I did find it online but the hazmat shipping charges we $54 for a single can of powder.
For any of you traditional ML guys, where do you find powder? Anybody local to southern Wisconsin happen to know a shop that might carry it?

The value of 4F is in getting into the flash-hole easier and more fully, but you can use 3F just fine too - or 2F. Go to the range, run some experimental shots priming with the same powder you charge the rifle with, see what happens.

I just stocked up on Swiss ffg from Grafs. They have ffffg in stock at $39. If you need ffg or fffg, just stock up on that and grab a can of 4f. I don't own a flintlock but almost bought a pound of 4f since it will last 50 years or longer.

I see they also have Grafs classic black 4f. Its pretty cheap.

Thanks. It looks like their shipping price is better than what I had been finding. Still more for shipping with the hazmat fee than the cost of the powder, but like you say, it will be a once in a lifetime purchase.

Grafs powder is Schuetzen. Not terrible but does not burn as clean as Swiss or Goex. Powder has been more difficult to find and more expensive since Hodgden shutdown Goex and sold it to Estes Energetics. Production of Goex 2F, 3F and 4F resumed under Estes but may be difficult to impossible to find.

Very few local gun stores carry BP anymore so you may have to eat the hazmat fee. My preference is Goex 3F for everything including priming for the combination of quality and price. Swiss is the gold standard but is quite expensive in comparison to Goex and Grafs/Schuetzen. You might consider a purchase in bulk from Grafs or other supplier with one lb of Swiss 4f in your order, the remainder being Swiss (if you can stand the cost) or Grafs/Schuetzen in the granulation of your choice.

Update: Powder Inc has Goex 1 thru 4F in stock.

Last edited:
Prime with what you load with, 3-f for everything it works just fine.
3F does indeed work just fine. In a hunting scenario where the prime will be in the pan for a long period, 3F has the advantage of being "glazed" whereas 4F is not. Glazing reduces the tendency of the powder to absorb moisture from the atmosphere

Although you will see most folks at BP shoots using a separate priming horn filled with 4F, I don't believe there is any historical basis for this practice. Collections of period horns, such as the huge collection on display at Fort Ticonderoga, have no or very few small horns. I don't recall any. The regular military of the period used paper cartridges and soldiers ripped open the cartridge and primed before pouring the remaining powder down the bore. The military did have priming flasks. That made sense due to the potential for a flash in the pan because re-priming could be done from the flask instead of using another paper cartridge. I have read a fair number of period journals and accounts and never read of separate priming horns being used by civilians/militia. If others have references to priming horns I would like to know of them.

The value of 4F is in getting into the flash-hole easier and more fully, but you can use 3F just fine too - or 2F. Go to the range, run some experimental shots priming with the same powder you charge the rifle with, see what happens.
Actually if the pan is properly charged the powder what ever it is 4f or other granulation should not actually enter the flash hole (if this is happening the flash hole is burnt out and its time for a touch hole liner) It only takes a small amount of powder say 3-4 grains to charge a properly timed flint lock, lots of shooters think fill the pan completely which is not needed, light prime sharp flint and properly mounted flint in the cock with a properly hardened frizzin BANG and a very fast one at that. There has been numerous testes done that shows no significant delay in ignition. There is a very good site that has a lot of info on these types of things try the muzzleoading forum.

If 2F or 3F 777 will help let me know as I have some for sale/trade. I'm near Janesville/Beloit.

Back