Where does .308 Winchester excel?

robtattoo

WKR
If i wasnt sitting on a couple of thousand rounds of quality 150gn sp reloads, i wouldn't own one. Every time I've reached for it in the last 4 years or so, my hand has steered itself towards my .358 instead.
I finally sold my .308 bolt gun this year to fund the single least practical firearm I'll ever own: an M1a Scout Squad. Purely until my supply of ammo is gone or the novelty wears off.

It's an awesome jack of all trades cartridge & it's kinda hard to argue against if you were going to be a one gun guy (the....horror) but for me, it doesn't excel at any single practical thing.

Last edited:
I won’t ever worry about having to replace the barrel on my Tikka 308 and it kills deer deader than a door nail. Reloading components and factory ammo are everywhere.

I bet Walgreens has a hush hush stash of 308 to sell if you ask the manager.
I'd be disappointed if at least one Walgreens somewhere in Wyoming or North Dakota didn't!

Jeff_Gibbons

Lil-Rokslider
I believe 308's top the sales list for big game hunting calibers? It'll be interesting to see how that changes over time. My hunch is that it will be in the top 5 for next 50 years. The reasons have been noted well above.

nobody

WKR
Late to the party, but I gotta say it…

.308? Isn’t that the one you load from the front?

JK, carry on gents.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My Kimber Montana 308 has been an awesome rifle. I have a few different hand loads worked up for it that shoot great. It recently got cut back to 18” so I can shoot my silencer on it and it’s even more accurate than before it left. It’s about 5.5 lbs with the leupold 2.5-8 and talley light weight rings. (No silencer on it to get that 5.5 lbs).

LightFoot

WKR
It is great for almost anything out to 300 or 400 yards. (300 for elk-sized, 400 for deer-sized)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

prm

WKR
The 308 really has no major weaknesses for hunting and shooting in the lower 50. Sure, other cartridges do elements a little better, but if I could have only one rifle fir everything, it would be a .308 Win. I wish my Fieldcraft was a .308. Someday…

Rich M

WKR
A 308 is a nice all around rifle. Used to be the one folks used for 1000 yd competition til the new bullet designs came out.

I shot a 6.5 once, chassis gun and it was a 1 hole gun at 225 yds. Very nice. A similar 308 would do the same.

No other cartridge comes close to the number of factory ammo choices. 174 on Midway USA right now. That's almost twice what you find for 6.5 CM.

Of those choices, you can cover any US game. 600 yards for everything except maybe brown bears, maybe even those.