Where do your broadheads impact vs. field points?

One slight correction to the video with regards to broadhead tuning.

His advice for high low impacts and adjustments is correct. But for left and right adjustments is backwards.

Broadheads hit lower than field point=Raise rest.
Broadheads hit higher than field point= Drop rest.

But for left right adjustments it is opposite.

Broadheads hit right of field point= bump rest right
Broadheads hit left of field point= bump rest left.

These adjustments should be very small. If you're having to bump the rest a long ways then you likely have other issues such as form issues, timing issues, cams need shimmed etc.

I always BH tune at 60 yards. When they are tuned to consistently hit together at 60, they're good all the way out to 60. They may be a touch high at some shorter distances, but not enough that I would shoot the BH at my FP arrow. Beyond 60 they may be a little low, but I rarely shoot at anything beyond 60 except targets. And if I do, I'm probably shooting my mechanicals.

It’s physically impossible for BH and FP to have the same impact at extreme distances. Usually around 60 is where the BH should start to fall off. Definitely by 80.

I bareshaft tune my bow to 30 yards. I’ve never had an issue with the broadheads hitting noticeably different than field points out to 70ish yards, but thats because I’m not that great of a shot. Pros and a hootershooter would be able to tell the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s physically impossible for BH and FP to have the same impact at extreme distances. Usually around 60 is where the BH should start to fall off. Definitely by 80.

I bareshaft tune my bow to 30 yards. I’ve never had an issue with the broadheads hitting noticeably different than field points out to 70ish yards, but thats because I’m not that great of a shot. Pros and a hootershooter would be able to tell the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That isn't really correct, you can make field tips and broadheads have the same exact POI at any given distance, the lines of trajectory will intersect at some point due to the difference in drag, where they meet can be manipulated by tuning the bow.

It is impossible however to have the exact same point of impact at multiple distances due to differences in the drag of the arrow. In fact, the two arrows will only have two points where they will hit at exactly the same point since the arrow with less drag will have more arch, the point in which the slower arrow rises above the faster arrow and then the point in which it drops below it on the downrange side. By adjusting that arc we determine where they will meet on the opposite end as well. So to get an arrow to hit with a broadhead and field tip at 80 yards the broadhead may have to shoot 1" high at 30 yards, to get the same arrow to impact exactly the same at 120 yards the difference at 30 maybe 2" or more. The closer your desired downrange impact is the closer they will fly throughout the trajectory of the arrow.

Personally i like to get my broadheads to hit with my field tips at 70 yards, that means at a few distances between my bow and 70 my broadhead will actually be hitting slightly higher than my field tip, it isn't significant but it is noticeable if you shoot a lot. Have you ever had every pin dialed in and then switch to a broadhead and notice one pin seems further off than the others? I think your better off dialing them in past the furthest you may ever shoot at an animal. The reason for that is the further distance the more drag affects the drop and it isn't linear. If you only site in at 50 and then shoot 70 your broadhead may shoot several inches off target at 70, but if you site in at 70 and shoot 50 you won't have near as bad as an error.

Same goes for shooting at animals, you are better off to misjudge too far because at the point in which your pin and the trajectory of the arrow meet your arrow in on the downward slope so for every yard you underestimate the arrow drops much much faster than if you over judge because your arrow will either be flatlined or still slightly climbing when it hits the target. For example, an arrow may hit 2" high if you shoot a 50 yard target with your 60 yard pin but, the exact same arrow might hit 5" low at 60 with your 50 pin, this is a good thing to figure out with your own bow at different distances.

One slight correction to the video with regards to broadhead tuning.

His advice for high low impacts and adjustments is correct. But for left and right adjustments is backwards.

Broadheads hit lower than field point=Raise rest.
Broadheads hit higher than field point= Drop rest.

But for left right adjustments it is opposite.

Broadheads hit right of field point= bump rest right
Broadheads hit left of field point= bump rest left.

These adjustments should be very small. If you're having to bump the rest a long ways then you likely have other issues such as form issues, timing issues, cams need shimmed etc.

I thought the video was correct for right left. Which matches my experience and how I would guess the aerodynamics is working.

I thought the video was correct for right left. Which matches my experience and how I would guess the aerodynamics is working.

No, for left right and right you have to move your rest towards your broadhead (counter intuitive I know).
If your broadheads are hitting to the left of your field points, that is the same as having a tail right tear, to clean up you bump your rest to the left.

This video does a good job at explaining.

I don't know what Dudley was smoking when he made that video, but I've seen him contradict the advice he gives there. Gillingham's Gold Tip videos are much, much, better. (And, I'm a Nock On Fan)

Right and Left are covered in videos 3 and 4.

On top of each other at 50. Low beyond. Above within. But that’s physics, man.
same. if I am getting the same impact at 50, i'm content. beyond that I shoot to get a feel for how low they are hitting, just in case a long followup shot may be needed. I have shot some heads that start dropping out the bottom inside 50, but it's minimal to 60 if your bow is tuned.

Back