Where are the does?

king402

FNG
Are state agencies focusing on the right issues? We all know mule deer numbers are way down. Most of the focus seems to be on the bucks by the state agencies. Reduce tag numbers, limit technology, antler point restrictions, etc. When I watch the Utah board meetings it seems like tag numbers and technology restrictions are by far the main focus. While those may reduce a few buck harvests, how do they help the overall deer numbers increase? It seems to me that more focus on helping does survive would make a bigger impact. Maybe I’m wrong but I wonder if the emphasis is on the wrong areas???? If we focus more on growing the doe population and a little less on technology wouldn’t there be more bucks and deer in general on the landscape? I know there are definitely efforts addressing this issue but maybe more focus could be on the doe numbers?

Managing for heard health and managing tech can happen at the same time. There isn't one person that has to decide if they will do one or the other. Limiting tech can allow for more opportunity across the board too. I would say the majority of what the agencies do is heard management. Setting seasons and rules is the easy part. Habitat projects, predator control, captures for health checks and collar studies. Many things going on that are for the benefit of heard health.

OP
king402

king402

FNG
I definitely agree with you. I’d just like to see as much or more emphasis on overall herd health as I do on technology. Maybe making predator reduction an even bigger priority. Finding more ways to reduce auto collision wildlife deaths. Just more attention to these issues.

Finding more ways to reduce auto collision wildlife deaths.

Wildlife fencing is too cost prohibitive and labor intensive to put up everywhere it is needed across the west but I think more signage could help. There are some highways that are absolutely insane during deer migrations and they don't even have the signs with reduced speeds for night hours when most collisions take place. Roadkill just seems like an accepted hazard of everyday life with no great solution.

OP
king402

king402

FNG
Reducing roadkill would help significantly! It definitely is too much of an accepted hazard.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
The biggest factor IMO is winter range and summer range habitat. Both improvement and preservation. It’s really frustrating that winter range is constantly shrinking to development. We need more habitat minded politicians to block permits to future developments. But we all know there’s far too much money and “progress” in it.

OP
king402

king402

FNG
Habitat is critical but in rural areas it doesn’t seem like habitat has been impacted all that much over the past 30 years and where there used to be hundreds of deer there are now very few all winter long. Maybe the browse has changed and there’s less to feed on???

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Habitat is critical but in rural areas it doesn’t seem like habitat has been impacted all that much over the past 30 years and where there used to be hundreds of deer there are now very few all winter long. Maybe the browse has changed and there’s less to feed on???
Summer/Alpine habitat, predators, winter kill, drought, range competition (elk, livestock, etc), fences, so many factors. What state/region are you talking about?

OP
king402

king402

FNG
Mostly Central Utah but could be applied in a lot of areas. How much have all those items you listed changed in the past 20, 30, 40 years?

Weldor

WKR
Hugh population increase. Way more people out west , recreating all year round. They are Mulies, not whitetail which seem to thrive in rural and suburban areas. Water is large factor down here in the Desert, drought puts alot stress on them. JMHO

OP
king402

king402

FNG
I hadn't thought of the huge population increase which has to be stressing out the deer, even in rural areas. There has been a significant increase in recreational use in these rural areas that wasn't there years ago,