When you have no cell reception.

bsnedeker

WKR
I like the full size but that’s just me. The battery life is way better on them and if your phone dies, you kind of SOL with the mini.

I would buy the one @fmyth has.
Just an FYI....they did an update on the mini a while back...you can now use it solo to text without a phone. It would absolutely SUCK to send anything more than a few words on it at a time...but you can do it!

Seth

WKR
I carry the InReach mini, and like others, keep a base plan on year around. Cell coverage is limited where I live and it certainly gives peace of mind whether hiking, mountain biking, or just out for a drive. Never failed me in several years of use.

CorbLand

WKR
Just an FYI....they did an update on the mini a while back...you can now use it solo to text without a phone. It would absolutely SUCK to send anything more than a few words on it at a time...but you can do it!
I did not know that. Thanks for the information.

OP
TK161BOONER
Is it difficult to text with the mini or would you recommend the Explore+ ? Thanks

UncleBone

WKR
Surprised to see so much love for the inreach. I had one for years and switched to the zoleo. Way better in my opinion. I don't have to stand on one leg holding my breath with my arm in the air for 7 minutes to get it to transmit or receive.
The zoleo connects within 30 seconds verus over 5 minutes for my inreach, isn't as finicky with cloud cover/tree canopy.
The zoleo is for communication only, be it your family or emergency. It's not a navigation device like a handheld GPS.
You have some serious lung capacity! Ive heard of guys using that move to get service before, but most can only hold their breath for a minute or two tops. On the other hand, Im going to have to look into this zoleo for sure!

bsnedeker

WKR
Is it difficult to text with the mini or would you recommend the Explore+ ? Thanks
To text from the device...yeah, it's difficult. It is designed so you text from your phone and connect to the inreach via bluetooth. If texting from the device is important I would get the explorer for sure!

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
Zoleo to check in with home on a daily basis, and to communicate with hunting partners. But when detailed information needs to be communicated, especially in a foreign country or if you need to be medically evacuated Sat phone. I took both to Kyrgyzstan the guides needed to use the sat phone when we needed to switch locations made all the difference.

Anybody use the ACR Bivy? I was eyeballing that due to how lightweight and small it is, easier to squirrel away. I trust ACR with PLB and EPIRB so that gives me confidence as well.

Tod osier

WKR
Zoleo to check in with home on a daily basis, and to communicate with hunting partners. But when detailed information needs to be communicated, especially in a foreign country or if you need to be medically evacuated Sat phone. I took both to Kyrgyzstan the guides needed to use the sat phone when we needed to switch locations made all the difference.

Yes, when the shit hits the fan, the utility of a sat phone becomes very apparent.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are a few options out there and I'm sure they each have pros and cons.
But get SOMETHING. They are invaluable and it's damn cheap life insurance. I had an incident a few years back where I would have used one if I had it. That was my deciding factor.
Fwiw.....I use a mini inreach.

Randy

DanimalW

WKR
The new Inreach mini 2 supposedly has much better battery life, and a better app for sending texts. I have the gen 1 so I can’t comment on it. I just carry a short cable and tiny goal zero in my pack. It would do a full phone charge once. Or give the mini enough juice to send an SOS. Probably the same weight/size as carrying a full size inreach. But I like that the mini fits in the mesh side pouch of my bino harness.

rdb83

FNG
Inreach was one of the best things I have bought. My wife loves it because no matter how long I am gone or where I am at we can stay in some kind of communication. It also works great when you get dropped off on one road and come out miles away and a couple days later for someone to come get you.

cnelk

WKR
A couple tips about the InReach.

Messages are limited to 160 characters before being broken up into another message.
So if you happen to be on a limited plan, use abbreviations to communicate.
Also, tell the wifey the same thing so she don’t write you a letter. ;)
( My messages go something like this: ‘All ok no need to reply unless urgent’
Another thing - the unit doesn’t have to be turned on to send an SOS. You just have have to have a current subscription

280Ackley

WKR
Anybody use the ACR Bivy? I was eyeballing that due to how lightweight and small it is, easier to squirrel away. I trust ACR with PLB and EPIRB so that gives me confidence as well.
My hunting buddy’s father in law had the Bivy stick (not sure if that it is the same as the ACR.) It was absolutely terrible!! We couldn’t get in touch with him for almost 2 day. Ended up heading back to base camp early to check on him.

CorbLand

WKR
A couple tips about the InReach.

Messages are limited to 160 characters before being broken up into another message.
So if you happen to be on a limited plan, use abbreviations to communicate.
Also, tell the wifey the same thing so she don’t write you a letter. ;)
( My messages go something like this: ‘All ok no need to reply unless urgent’
Another thing - the unit doesn’t have to be turned on to send an SOS. You just have have to have a current subscription
Just set those messages as one of your preset and it won’t cost you to send it. That’s what I do and just tell my wife to contact if it’s an emergency. It’s only 50 cents a text if you go over.