When to call your taxidermist

I brought an elk hide to a taxidermist in November 2021. They told me it would take 6 months to have it tanned. I called back six months later (May 2022) only to be told it was not done. Think it's about time to call them back again? They weren't very nice over the phone when I asked the first time. I brought a bull to a different and well known taxidermist this year who said they would have the shoulder mount done in 6-8 months. More than a year for a tanned hide seems like quite a bit of time to me.

wytx

WKR
Tanning a hide and cape tanning are different. Capes get sent mostly to specialty tanneries and get a better turn around time.
The hide was probably sent to a big tannery that is busy this time of the year.
I would call or go by and be nice about asking. The taxi has no say in how long the tannery takes, they are at their mercy as well as you.
Next time flesh it yourself and dry it and send right to Moyles Mink and Tannery or another good one near you.

Do they do it in house or send it off? I sent a sheep to Moyles August 2021 and it was an 8 month turnaround. Moyles used to be a 2-3 month turn. November 2021 is still peak intake season, so if your taxidermist sent out a bulk shipment in January, it likely took until fall to get stuff back.

A taxidermist I know has always had stuff back within one year. That has recently changed because of how long the tanneries are taking. Unless the tanning is done in house, it would be hard to reach a 6-8 month turn. Some of his hides aren't even coming back for a year depending on what they are. I'll add that he's very transparent about how much longer stuff will now take with his clients - which seems to be extremely rare in the taxidermy space.

Marble

WKR
he is waiting for someone to sell him a similar hide since yours is destroyed..
That does happen. Not even the taxidermist fault. The hides go through machines at the tannery for a final.prep before tanning. They basically put it through a machine that shaves some of the skin to make it a uniform thickness and ensure it clean.

I had an elk almost ruined. Don't know if it was the piece of crap taxidermist or the tannery. I suspect was the taxidermist. He didn't turn the ears, lips or eyes very well at all.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Fyi a taxidermist doesn't make much if any money on shipping a hide to be tanned for you.

There doing it out of the kindness of there heart and the fact you will be a returning customer.

When I had my bear tanned I made sure he knew it was ok to make some money.
Think I have him $150 over the tannery cost.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I took a 34" Aoudad for a shoulder mount and a Javelina for lifesize in March of '21.
I called back in Sept.(22) to check on the status. He say it usually takes a year +.
I reminded him this past March had been a year and was now 18 months.
Apparently, he had not even started on it. He also added that deer were his
"bread and butter" and that he was covered up with them.
At this point, cant say I'll be using him in the future.
Come March of 23, I think I'll go get my stuff back.

OP
Beating Brush
Fyi a taxidermist doesn't make much if any money on shipping a hide to be tanned for you.

There doing it out of the kindness of there heart and the fact you will be a returning customer.

When I had my bear tanned I made sure he knew it was ok to make some money.
Think I have him $150 over the tannery cost.
I likely would have been a returning customer but this taxidermist over-promised and under-delivered so far.

I likely would have been a returning customer but this taxidermist over-promised and under-delivered so far.
Most of them do.
Mine is really good. And im sad he's getting old because idk what to do when he retires.

But even at that the coyote I payed in full.
It was done, hanging on the wall and he didn't even call me.
Another friend stopped in and saw it.
Now I never give more then 50%

I took a 34" Aoudad for a shoulder mount and a Javelina for lifesize in March of '21.
I called back in Sept.(22) to check on the status. He say it usually takes a year +.
Why wait. He isn't suddenly going to become a good person.
If they take more work then they can do in a year it will just perpetually get longer once stuff comes in the next year.
Imo if they go past a year there out.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Skulls get lost too. Thats why when we shoot a donkey we keep the horns / skulls until they have the hide back and are ready to actually work on it. Fixing to take my 81.5" antelope to my taxi thursday. She already had the hide back from september 2022.

I would say your getting hosed. Find a new taxi.

JasonWi

WKR
I agree 100% with BRTreedogs and I'd go and pick up the animals. Yes, you'll have to wait that much longer for them to return but I wouldn't give anymore business to a taxidermist that behaves like that.

I had a long-time taxidermist that did very nice work, but he kept taking in too much new work and his times went from 12 months to 18-20 months and multiple phone calls. So I finally decided to pick up my last pieces he completed and have never went back.

I now use one person for Euro mounts(15 minutes from home) and another person for any taxidermy work(3 hours away), as I feel she's a better artist. Don't be afraid to shop around until you feel a connection with one, even if not local speaking to them via the phone can weed out people before making the drive.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I agree 100% with BRTreedogs and I'd go and pick up the animals. Yes, you'll have to wait that much longer for them to return but I wouldn't give anymore business to a taxidermist that behaves like that.

I had a long-time taxidermist that did very nice work, but he kept taking in too much new work and his times went from 12 months to 18-20 months and multiple phone calls. So I finally decided to pick up my last pieces he completed and have never went back.

I now use one person for Euro mounts(15 minutes from home) and another person for any taxidermy work(3 hours away), as I feel she's a better artist. Don't be afraid to shop around until you feel a connection with one, even if not local speaking to them via the phone can weed out people before making the drive.
It really sucks because the 34" horns are a re=mount from a botched lifesize in 2007. I'm using the cape from a 33" I killed back in Feb. of 21 to mount the 34" horns. Been a long time getting that ram mounted properly. Hoping he'll just get em done and I"ll be done with him too. He already Euro'd the 33" ram.

wytx

WKR
I've waited 2+ years on a nice buck from our taxidermist. He was the best in town and the wait was worth it. Sometimes you get what you pay for. A taxi without much business and quick turnaround is a red flag for me.

OP
Beating Brush
I've waited 2+ years on a nice buck from our taxidermist. He was the best in town and the wait was worth it. Sometimes you get what you pay for. A taxi without much business and quick turnaround is a red flag for me.
I trust the second taxidermist I went to with my bull. They have plenty of business and a reputation to uphold.