Elk Mount Smell Removal?

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't tried it, but you could consider trying scentless Febreze. It's designed to kill odors vs just covering them up.

JoeB

Lil-Rokslider
there's a good possibility that the smell is coming from the antlers. The sap and other debris can hold scent in the rack for a long time. I mounted my first bull over 7 years ago and if I get close to the antlers I can still smell a faint pine/elk scent

Idaboy

WKR
Are the horns detachable? I had one mount the taxidermist did that way and then you can remove antlers and deal with them if they are the source
Would take back to him and ask him to:
-clean antlers
- seal antlers with a sealant, I am sure he's used urethane or some sort of coating on antlers before
- ask him to clean/shampoo cape
- would not ozone INSIDE your own house, but ask him if he has used ozone treatments before and that might be a way to oxidize the orangic esters or organic lipids that are usually the source of any "funk", dead or alive
- beg for forgiveness from your wife
......good luck

ChrisAU

WKR
I got an Oct 2019 bull back in May/June 2020 and I still smell the musk sometimes in my game room. Takes me back to the mountainside cleaning him up. Its definitely on the antlers, my mount has detachable ones and I remember my hands being absolutely rank after we hung him up from handling the antlers.