When do you give up on a barrel/trouble shooting

OP
Jimbee

Jimbee

WKR
10 shot group with no muzzle device, swfa 10x, krg bravo. I could maybe live with that if its repeatable, but I'm not confident. image_cropper_1725838632972.jpg

huntnful

WKR
I would move on. A quality barrel shouldn't take that much time and effort to find a load it will shoot.
Agreed.

You put in a valiant effort though. More than I would have. I got a spiral fluted Brux #5 1-8 twist if you want it. 24” finish length though. Toning the cartridge down on the next barrel would certainly help also.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Unfortunately sometimes you just get a shit barrel. You did your part. Send it back to UM. It has nothing to do with barrel contour or being over bore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

huntnful

WKR
Unfortunately sometimes you just get a shit barrel. You did your part. Send it back to UM. It has nothing to do with barrel contour or being over bore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It's absolutely a bad barrel, which was the first thing I said. 2-3" ten shots groups are unnaceptable of any barrel/cartridge combo.

And now, if he is more concerned about accuracy, after having one shit situation, maybe he should consider attempting to build it into his system a little more, instead of throwing another $1000 at the same exact barrel and chamber specs, and expecting a world of difference.

SloppyJ

WKR
Bummer. Following along to hopefully see you post some nice groups eventually. I've heard of people jumping the Dtacs up to .120. Mine like to run .060 off on my 6 creed. Good luck man.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
It's absolutely a bad barrel, which was the first thing I said. 2-3" ten shots groups are unnaceptable of any barrel/cartridge combo.

And now, if he is more concerned about accuracy, after having one shit situation, maybe he should consider attempting to build it into his system a little more, instead of throwing another $1000 at the same exact barrel and chamber specs, and expecting a world of difference.
I agree he should build a 6UM:)

The cartridge and contour are irrelevant if the barrel is bad. The Ace barrel on the 6-7PRC I built shot very well, and the noodle Pacnor barrel on Tanya's 6UM hammers. Hell, I had a 300 Terminator built on a #1 contour, and it shot great. Getting two bad barrels in a row would be very unlikely.

I would quit a barrel that has a history of shooting accurately after I clean it throughly including copper , carbon removal and it doesn't behave. I have never had one I had to give up on, yet. My rifles all have their own sort of baseline. Not every rifle I have will shoot a 3/4 inch group. I have a realistic expectation of what each will do.

OP
Jimbee

Jimbee

WKR
I was advised to clean the barrel, do some seating depth testing and shoot 3 shot groups at 300yds. Also, verify the 3 shot groups are repeatable.
Edit to add: I'm not here to Karen or bash UM. Everything looks great, just can't get it to shoot. Just bad luck, bad barrel, finicky?

Last edited:

MtnW

WKR
What would a yes imply?
You are adding a high degree of heat with the nitride process. Adding another heat treating to the steel of a rifle barrel after it has been worked/machined can cause issues. I have not had a rifle barrel nitrided. The build I have going on , the rifle builder (very experienced) only wanted the action nitrided ( to heat treat - harden the steel after machining ). Not sure if the verdict is out. I don’t follow the bench rest crowd. I have heard barrels warping with nitride and others no effect. My view, why take a chance . Benefits?

Lawnboi

WKR
This is when the real crap part starts. UM is early enough and may warranty your barrel, I don’t know. But I can tell you what has happened to me with annother builder, and what I would do.

I’d junk the barrel and order another.

Not saying this is what UM will do, I’m not them and I don’t know their procedure for this. I can say when I had a custom barrel that was bad I ended up sending it in the gunsmith, They proceeded to keep it another year and rebarreled it with a different spec barrel and then shipped it back, with yet another dud barrel. I was out brass, bullets, factory ammo, over a year with no action, and now 2 bum barrels. Since that incident I told myself that I’d rather throw the barrel in the scrap metal pile than send my rifle across the country for testing, that is if they won’t warranty it sight unseen.

On top of this, now it becomes a barrel maker vs gunsmith battle, one I’m guessing wouldn’t go well for such a hot wildcat.

Either way good luck. Iv got a 1200$ carbon barrel that’s junk sitting in the basement right now. After my first go round, me being out the rifle for an unknown amount of time was not worth it to me, I just ordered another prefit, screwed it on, and kept on shooting.

wyosam

WKR
Before long you’ll have to add “barrels shot out” to the list of suspects. Doubt the throat life on that one would be stellar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk