What’s your go to?

My go to rifle is my old TC Venture (weathershield model) in 7mm rem mag topped with a leupold vx5-HD. Love that heavy azz thing because it’s so dang accurate and hardly recoils. Every time I buy another rifle (and I have way to many that don’t get shot much), I gravitate back to this one. Hate the heavy trigger but had some work done and replaced the spring so hopefully it’s a little more crisp and lighter now. Might go to Ohio this year and if so, I’ll get to use my 450 bushmaster which is a savage wolverine. Might use the Remington 700 mountain ss up north in 6.5 creed if we get some early snow in the Adacks also (never used it yet but gave it to my son and would love to test it out with him).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long Cut

WKR
My “Go To” deer rifle has been a CVA Scout in 6.5CM with an SWFA 3-9 for several years now

I also built an MK12 variant AR that will be getting some play time this season. But that compact single shot with absolutely be the starter.
IMG_9529.jpeg

204_ruger

Lil-Rokslider
My go to rifle is my old TC Venture (weathershield model) in 7mm rem mag topped with a leupold vx5-HD. Love that heavy azz thing because it’s so dang accurate and hardly recoils. Every time I buy another rifle (and I have way to many that don’t get shot much), I gravitate back to this one. Hate the heavy trigger but had some work done and replaced the spring so hopefully it’s a little more crisp and lighter now. Might go to Ohio this year and if so, I’ll get to use my 450 bushmaster which is a savage wolverine. Might use the Remington 700 mountain ss up north in 6.5 creed if we get some early snow in the Adacks also (never used it yet but gave it to my son and would love to test it out with him).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have a TC Venture in 280 rem. I wouldn't take anything for it. Got a brake on it. My wife hunts with it.

OP
Ringbill27

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like whatever I bring the opposite situation arises. Only time I've ever taken a 243 out I shot a buck at 275ish yards. Last year I used a 300 wm and shot 1 at 30 and 1 at 10. Maybe I'll drop down to an 06 this year and I'll get a shot around 50
I wouldn’t say you were under gunned in any of those situations. Over gunned perhaps but that’s not a big deal. 30-06 would killed whitetail in most situations within 400yds and has been for over 100yds.

Last edited:
OP
Ringbill27

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
My “Go To” deer rifle has been a CVA Scout in 6.5CM with an SWFA 3-9 for several years now
I’ve always wanted a single shot. The simplicity and compactness has always intrigued me. Make your first shot count cuz you may not get another. I really like my CVA wolf muzzleloader and I’ve been tempted to pick up a scout in 44mag or 350L.

Last edited:

Long Cut

WKR
I’ve always wanted a single shot. The simplicity and compactness has always intrigued me. Make your first shot count cuz you may not get another. I really like my CVA wolf muzzleloader and I’ve been tempted to pick up a scout in 44mag or 350L.

I’ve found myself preferring single shots & OU shotguns.
Between the compactness, they swing better to me, and I find myself taking better shots because I know that I only have 1/2 shots.

My next SS rifle will either be a 44Mag, 45-70 or .300BLK.

OP
Ringbill27

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve found myself preferring single shots & OU shotguns.
Between the compactness, they swing better to me, and I find myself taking better shots because I know that I only have 1/2 shots.

My next SS rifle will either be a 44Mag, 45-70 or .300BLK.
I’ve been looking pretty hard at that browning cynergy wick wing for duck hunting. What’s the third shot really get you?

jcaud

FNG
Was planning on taking my creed out this year, but the 223 has been tempting me.

Have an old Marlin 30-30 that my dad passed down a few years back, I’d like to get it out into the woods at some point this fall too.

DSchliep

FNG
I'm in S.E. Montana. I have used my Winchester model 70 7mm rem mag for 15 years. 140 gr Winchester ballistic silvertip for WT, Muleys, antelope and elk. It has served me well. This year I want to use a 120 yr old Marlin chambered in 32 Win Special that my moms husband gave me. We mainly hunt WT along the Yellowstone river here.

Attachments

• 20231124_171932.jpg
    20231124_171932.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 8

maxx075

Lil-Rokslider
I'm only 32 but y'all make me feel like a boomer using these boutique cartridges.

.270 for me back home on the east coast and .308 for muleys this year.

OP
Ringbill27

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in S.E. Montana. I have used my Winchester model 70 7mm rem mag for 15 years. 140 gr Winchester ballistic silvertip for WT, Muleys, antelope and elk. It has served me well. This year I want to use a 120 yr old Marlin chambered in 32 Win Special that my moms husband gave me. We mainly hunt WT along the Yellowstone river here.
Now that’s a piece of history!

OP
Ringbill27

Ringbill27

Lil-Rokslider
I'm only 32 but y'all make me feel like a boomer using these boutique cartridges.

.270 for me back home on the east coast and .308 for muleys this year.
Boomer cartridges never stopped working and are cheap to shoot

shol92779

FNG
I have hunted with a Remington 700 7mm Rem Mag for most of my hunting years. I have bought a Bergara 6.5 CM that I'm considering trying out though.

cumminsbassguy

Lil-Rokslider
Grew up in the UP. shooting deer with my dad's walnut rem700 in 270. (Was his dad's before him), granddads 222, 22-250, inherited my great grand dad's rem 742 woodmaster in 30-06, took a few WA. deer with that. Picked up a RAR in 7.62x39 as a compact deer gun and only ever shot a bear with it. Moved to AK and acquired a 338 WM and an American in 308. Took both of those back to MI for the 23' deer season and both harvested critters. 308 shot the 150gr sako hammerheads (absolutely devastating on a whitetail, softball soxed exit wound) 338 was loaded with 200gr speer hotcor (handloads), golfball sized entry hole with a softball exit.