What's up with .338 Win Mag?

Contemplated a 338 a little while back and went 300WM due to ammo costs. I don’t hunt enough that needs that extra crack and the rounds were 2x 300wm at the time.

As I get older, I favor fewer and more common calibers. More or less let go of everything I couldn’t feed from a reasonably well stocked Walmart or b grade sporting goods store. I am just not enough of a rifle shooter to derive the benefit from the more esoteric calibers and, more long term, I doubt ammo will be easier or cheaper to come by in the next couple of decades that will be the end of my shooting / hunting career.

Choupique

WKR
have supreme confidence in it for about any shot near or far on just about any game I'm likely to encounter.

That's why I stick with mine. I plan to hunt some nilgai and hopefully grizzly one day. Might as well just shoot everything with the grizzly gun. At least that's how I explain the expensive ammo to my wife.

OP
Sawtoothsteve

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
In all seriousness, what do you want out of the new rifle that a .338 Win Mag won't provide? That right there is a very well-rounded caliber with many bullet weights to load and meet any need, imo.

But since you're asking, a 35 Whelen with modern powders and a 250 grain bullet at 2700 ft per second could be your huckleberry. Or the same 35 Whelen and 200 gr. Barnes TTSX at 3000 fps with modern powders which punches way above its weight. Trajectory and terminal performance from any angle on elk is exemplary. Should prove similar for game of similar size which you speak of in your post.

Whelen's burn a good bit less powder and you can form cases from a 30-06 if you ever have to.

I shoot the AI version which is more for the cool factor at this point than any major ballistic advantage. It may have an extra 50-60 FPS or so over the standard chambering everything else equal.
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually DO NOT want to change caliber, just update the rifle.

OP
Sawtoothsteve

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
You can get a new model 70 in .338...The extreme weather would be hard to beat. Has a 26" barrel, you could have a gunmsith cut it down to 23-24" if desired.

Thanks for this suggestion!

LoggerDan

WKR
I’m a fan. The 338 Winchester Magnum is the King Cartridge of Elk hunting. I ditched mine in favor of the 3t whelen. But the 338 is a better round in every measurable way save the reloading aspect. Find a Winchester 70

OP
Sawtoothsteve

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
These used to be available but not sure if they are all still in production.
Seekins Havac PH2
Browing X-bolt
Sako 85
Weatherby Mark V
Kimber Montana
Cooper Backcountry Model 92
Seekins - this one is new to me. Looks interesting, thanks for the tip
Browning - like this rifle, can't find any in stock anywhere
Sako does not come in .338
Kimber does not come in .338
Weatherby Mark V does not come in .338
Cooper - not aware of this rifle, thanks for the tip. No local dealers for me.

Then I won't try and talk you out of a .338 Win Mag! It's a great chambering for versatility and pisses excellence for anything that walks in the lower 48 or Alaska. My 35 Whelen AI has done elk to 340 yds and would do to 400 yds with the 200 TTSX (2960 fps mv) and plenty of expansion velocity. But there is an outer limit for everything. 3" high at 100 yds hits zero at 270 yds, 2" low at 300 yds and 13" low at 400 yds. Almost a quarter-mile is good for my hunting. If I was gonna go further, it would be a different chambering and a dial. Possibly a .338 Win Mag if I had one, although the 300 Win Mag in the safe would get the nod.

If you're willing to get into reloading, there's been a good supply of components, except brass some times. You just have to get notifications of when they come in stock and buy fast. I sent a Tikka in 7 rem mag to JES Reboring and for about $250 I had mine. I also had it cut down to 20", threaded, and with a suppressor. I use the 210 ttsx at 2860 fps. It may not out perform a 300 WM but it's at least as good with a shorter barrel and less powder. It's an awesome hunting rifle and though I have a project or two to replace it, it may just stay as my #1 option.

You may just have to get creative but I encourage you to keep looking for a 338 WM solution. The rarer they may become, that much more sweeter.

ldmay375

FNG
I am hoping to find some recommendations from the Rokslide community on a new rifle.

I have been hunting with a .338 Win Mag for 30 years and my Remington 700 has seen many miles. I'd like to upgrade the rifle for some planned future Alaska and N Canada hunts as well as Idaho backcountry elk/bear/deer hunting. I think the .338 Win Mag is still competitive with the new calibers out there and I hunt with my brother who also has the same caliber. Having common ammo with my hunting partner is a preference, so I have been looking for a new gun in .338 Win Mag. I am not finding local gun retailers to carry the caliber any longer, and I'm not finding upper end manufacturers who list the caliber in their hunting rifles. Has the caliber completely fallen out of favor with hunters?

Any manufacturer recommendations for a new .338 Win Mag rifle?

Anyone want to talk me out of a .338 Win Mag and recommend something different?
Count me as a 338 Winchester fan. I would look at used rifles.

I have a few rifles in a few different cartridges and calibers, bigger and smaller. But, I consider the 338 Winchester a pretty much do it all cartridge for my uses. I hope to always maintain at least a couple of them.

The suggestions for 35 Whelen due to lack of 338WM ammo and rifles has me laughing. Yeah let’s buy a rifle that has even less available options. I can’t remember the last time I saw a rifle chambered in 35 Whelen or a box of ammo sitting on a shelf. I’ve seen 338WM ammo and rifles in Cabelas and Bass Pro. I’ve seen ammo on the shelf in Walmart even.

Midway currently lists 10 35 Whelen options with nothing in stock. They list 17 338 WM options with 3 in stock.

There is zero logic in suggesting that the Whelen would somehow solve a single issue and only that it would create more problems with availability.

z987k

WKR
I'd probably opt for the 33 Nosler before a 338wm. Factory ammo is around, but really expensive. Brass is available.
Rifles are available.

The suggestions for 35 Whelen due to lack of 338WM ammo and rifles has me laughing. Yeah let’s buy a rifle that has even less available options. I can’t remember the last time I saw a rifle chambered in 35 Whelen or a box of ammo sitting on a shelf. I’ve seen 338WM ammo and rifles in Cabelas and Bass Pro. I’ve seen ammo on the shelf in Walmart even.

Midway currently lists 10 35 Whelen options with nothing in stock. They list 17 338 WM options with 3 in stock.

There is zero logic in suggesting that the Whelen would somehow solve a single issue and only that it would create more problems with availability.
I would tend to agree with this statement; I've owned Whelens and .358's for years, and they were always far more rare and obscure than.338's. However, within the past few years a few states that were heretofore restricted to shotgun are now allowing .358 bores on up in rifles, so I've seen a noticable uptick in 35 W interest.

Mojave

WKR
My choices in this order.

Blaser R8
Sauer 404
Sako 85 or 90
Tikka T3
Winchester M70
Howa or Weatherby Vanguard (same rifle)
Savage 110 with an Accustock

Not sure who else makes one.

Check places like Buds Guns, Ammoseek, Gunbroker, and Midway USA.

Seekins - this one is new to me. Looks interesting, thanks for the tip
Browning - like this rifle, can't find any in stock anywhere
Sako does not come in .338
Kimber does not come in .338
Weatherby Mark V does not come in .338
Cooper - not aware of this rifle, thanks for the tip. No local dealers for me.
A quick look on gunbroker.com netted these in 338 win mag:
Custom Hill Country w/ nighforce NX8 with a case of Hornady 230grain ELD-X = $11K
Savage 110 Brush Hunter - Black Synthetic Stainless = $700
Savage 110 Storm Model - AccuStock = $900
Browning A-Bolt Medallion = $1,300
Savage 110 Apex Storm = $800
Dakota Arms Model 76 = $6,500
Benelli R1 = $1,500
Remington model 700 (1987) New- unfired = buy it now price $1,700
Sako AV = $1,800
Winchester Model 70 = $1,600
Ruger Hawkeye Guide = $1,300
Winchester XPR = $550
Winchester Model 70 Super = $2K

and this was just the first 2 pages i looked @

I bought a Browning X-bolt Stainless Stalker chambered in 338 WM last year off GunBroker. I really like the rifle. It seems to shoot lighter for caliber bullets best (210 TTSX). I know Hornady has run 338 WM lately. I believe 230gr ELDX (Precision Hunter) and their CX (Outfitter) is readily available now.

OP
Sawtoothsteve

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Browning X-bolt Stainless Stalker chambered in 338 WM last year off GunBroker. I really like the rifle. It seems to shoot lighter for caliber bullets best (210 TTSX). I know Hornady has run 338 WM lately. I believe 230gr ELDX (Precision Hunter) and their CX (Outfitter) is readily available now.
Thanks for the tip on Bunbroker. I'll pay attention to that site. The Browning x-bolt looks like a nice gun.

What kind of accuracy degradation are you seeing with the heavy bullets? I have really liked loading 250's when around bears.

Honestly, I don't have a lot of data to back up my statement. I shot two factory loads: Federal Fusion 225s and Barnes VorTx TTSX 210s. I handloaded Nosler Partition 250s and Barnes TTSX 225s. I was getting ready for a moose and griz hunt and simply needed an inside 400 yard solution. It's not a great caliber for tinkering on a bench so when the factory Barnes 210s consistently shot around MOA and the others threw flyers, I stopped messing around and switched to field practice and gathering as much Barnes 210 as I could find.

I did have a decent load with the 250s and 225s, just not as good as the factory 210s. Although not as popular a choice for 338 WM, the Federal Fusion 225 also provided adequate accuracy out of the rifle, and would likely make a great all-around choice.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I had 2 Winchester m70 extreme weather rifles, one in 30-06 and one in 338wm. When I got the 338 back in ~ 2018 there were plenty of supplies around to buy ammo and load ammo for the 338, heck, shooters pro shop used to have 338 and 375 blems on a regular basis. I also ended up with a Winchester 70 push feed sporter in 338. When my friend moved away I sold both the 338s to him with all of my loading supplies. I didn’t think much of it. Now he’s calling me asking if I know where he can buy brass and bullets.

Leverwalker

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Ruger Hawkeye .338 I got off of Guns International for $825. I'd watched it not move for awhile and counteroffered asking price (Cabela's), and they were glad to move it. It was virtually new, no evidence of more than a few firings.

I don't bother with factory .338 ammo, but then I reload everything anyway. Acquiring components has been difficult, but then so has most of all my other calibers. I initially got some brass off a WTB on a cast bullets site, and got them at a reasonable price. I got some 225 and 250 gr Hornady Interlock SP-RP's off of Gun Broker, for not too high a price - again, just watching for stuff that isn't moving. Getting .338 bullets in general hasn't been difficult - e.g., Hdy SST's, Speers; just don't want to hunt with them. Powders, no problem. Primers, slow going, but they come up and when they do, I get them. Back at the beginning of July, I even picked up a couple bags of Winchester cases for $49/50 from Cabela's.

My point is, it just took time to accumulate components but they did come. I'd never pay factory ammo prices, but then maybe having the 45-70 taught me that lesson as well - not going to pay $80+ for 20, when I can do it so much cheaper, and so much better for my particular needs.