What's the smallest mule deer buck you would shoot?

Rich M

WKR
I saw a handful of pictures from a trip some guys took - everyone shot the first little bucks they saw, small 2x2 and 3x3 bucks. They were as happy as clams and I have no issue with that.

What is your "size limit"?

I'm hoping to hunt an area I was led to - fellow told me "lots" of 1.5-2.5 yr old small bucks, some decent 3.5 yr olds and that he saw some 170 plus bucks - he hunted hard for 7 or 8 days, 10-15+ miles per day. Ended up with tag soup cause he had limitations on what he'd shoot. Not sure if I have that kind of will power.

My ambition is to find a buck that makes me happy. I'm not sure what it is and I don't know if I'll just shoot the first one that is outside its ears or what. Will see - never shot a mulie before.

Can you-all help me understand what different year class deer look like?

My last dedicated mule deer hunt was in 2013 when I drew unit 2b in NM. It was supposed to be that hunt where I killed my first 180 inch buck with my bow. I hunted 4 days tromping around in knee deep snow and seeing lots of deer to include some really nice bucks. Big storm was coming in and I was getting sick and ended up shooting a fork horn. Was thrilled as hell. I generally don’t like tag soup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
I try to shoot a mature animal. Sometimes that’s a large 3 point, sometimes bigger. Sometimes it’s just not in the cards. If i want the meat and late in the hunt, smaller is fine.

That being said, you will rarely get a huge one if you aren’t willing to eat tag soup passing on decent bucks. All in all, it’s what I’m happy with and if I’m enjoying hunting, a good stalk, I’ll take a medium buck. An enjoyable hunt for me is the most important thing, not the size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
This year where I'm planning on going, probably 160 plus. But not real picky.

Just depends on what I think is representative for the area.

Last edited:
For me if kinda depends on how hard the tag is to get, and what the area is know for.
For me I'm kinda over forkies, so a decent 3.
But im gonna be burning 10 plus points here soon. And unless it's a darn big 4 around 180 I wont be to interested in hanging that tag on anything.
But this year I was flinging arrows at does. Cause it's an otc tag and my inlaws need the meat
So it just varies.
If your just interested in a mature buck. Roman nose, pot belly, sway back, gray face, big bases and just being a bully should indicate age class.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve only hunted otc units for decades over the last five seasons have let many avg four pts go every yr holding out with one opp at a 180 buck and gladly ate many tags until this season .......to each there own and many don’t create opps to let one go by so if it makes you happy and is legal tag it👍🥳

My first buck was a muley, only about 6 in. tall on each side. Spike on one side and a small fork on the other. I knew it was a little guy before I shot. It was only 8:30am and the first buck I had seen lol. I was probably more proud of that buck in the moment than I am about a good 4x4 now. In my opinion, if you go out there, fill your tag and are happy with the results then its money/time well spent. Especially when you need the meat. If your into trying to maintain a decent age group of an area you frequent or waited a long time/paid good money for a tag then by all means, wait for that mature buck.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I always try for a mature, representative buck. I’ve taken world record (like no shit could have been in the top 2) fish, but never filed the paperwork for them. I feel the same with hunting. I hunt for the adventure. The means justify the ends for me. I’ve shot lots of little bucks, but as I age, I try to be more selective and go for a mature one. Inches on his head mean exactly squat to me.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I saw a handful of pictures from a trip some guys took - everyone shot the first little bucks they saw, small 2x2 and 3x3 bucks. They were as happy as clams and I have no issue with that.

What is your "size limit"?

I'm hoping to hunt an area I was led to - fellow told me "lots" of 1.5-2.5 yr old small bucks, some decent 3.5 yr olds and that he saw some 170 plus bucks - he hunted hard for 7 or 8 days, 10-15+ miles per day. Ended up with tag soup cause he had limitations on what he'd shoot. Not sure if I have that kind of will power.

My ambition is to find a buck that makes me happy. I'm not sure what it is and I don't know if I'll just shoot the first one that is outside its ears or what. Will see - never shot a mulie before.

Can you-all help me understand what different year class deer look like?

Being that this will be your first MD, I would recommend not setting your goals based on other hunters expectations. I suggest not getting wrapped up on a particular size. Let the experience play out and if you are offered an opportunity, do what your gut tells you. Do what makes you happy and don't look back.

When I hunted Wyoming last season my goal was 140”. Which isn’t a big mulie but for never hunting them in a state I’ve never been that was my goal. I ended up killing a 146” and couldn’t be happier. If it came down to the end of the hunt I would have shot the first legal buck I saw. Everyone is different, Hunt for YOU and nobody else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommy1005

FNG
I’m the guy that will eat tag soup before I shoot a young deer. I could care less about what it scored as long as he’s an old war horse that’s all that matters to me.

The buck I was chasing this year was a huge bodied, mature 3x3 with tons of mass and tine length, but small forks and narrow. I have a 173 buck on my wall so I just go after what ever excites me. I would say I was more jacked up for that buck than any I’ve been after in awhile.

I try for a buck 140 and bigger mule deer on public land. I try for a 125" whitetail or better.

It is a practical limit for the public land guy. Hunting for bucks bigger than that constantly with a limited schedule and being from out of state, you will go home empty handed more times than not.

KurtR

WKR
First thing i have learned is when most people are saying 170 it is probably 140 especially people who dont look at mule deer every day. Shoot what makes you happy not any one else. I have a itchy trigger finger but knew there was a big deer in the area i was hunting luckily i found him at sunrise and didnt have to hold off any thing else. After 16 years i got a 180" mule deer. So being your first year your going to see one on the sky line and think holy shit that is huge shoot it and be happy as a pig in crap score will be what it is.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
We used to see a lot of bomber bucks back in the 80's. When they changed to the 3-point rule my buddy and I laughed........wondering why someone would settle for a measly 3-point with all the big 4-point and better bucks running around. Then after a couple killer winters decimated the deer herds, those bomber bucks were few and far between.

I don't target deer much anymore and with 16 points I still don't know what tag I want. But it would have to be a solid 190+ contender for me to pull the trigger these days. I just don't like deer meat that much.

Last year I hunted archery mule deer for the first time. On the second day I stalked up to and caught a spike in his bed. I had him at 25 yards but let down. I spent the rest of the week trying to get close but no luck. I kinda wish I would have shot that spike lol although I did learn alot.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04