What's the deal with second hand Tikka rifles and parts pricing?

OP
R
Where are you finding new t3x ss 223’s for under 800 delivered? Genuinely curious… I’m one of the dummy’s that paid 850 delivered for one a few months back.

Take the UPC, punch it into gun.deals search engine. Or establish a good relationship with a dealer and get great discounts.

$850 delivered for a Tikka SS isn't bad though if they're charging sales tax. Better than $825-$850 for used ones on here.

Lytro

WKR
I've bought a couple X stocks, both were under 200 for sure. Maybe under 150 I can't exactly recall. The bolt assemblies are what get me. You could buy an entire rifle, pull the bolt, and sell the rest and be ahead of just buying a bolt.
I actually did this a year ago because I couldn't get an extractor kit for a T3X bolt. Everywhere was out of stock and I wasn't paying $400 for a complete bolt assembly. Finally got an extractor kit to rebuild the bolt, and the new T3X I bought turned into a $4K project that I just finished up. I didn't really end up saving money on that one. Haha

OP
R
I actually did this a year ago because I couldn't get an extractor kit for a T3X bolt. Everywhere was out of stock and I wasn't paying $400 for a complete bolt assembly. Finally got an extractor kit to rebuild the bolt, and the new T3X I bought turned into a $4K project that I just finished up. I didn't really end up saving money on that one. Haha

Isn't it great that you have to buy an entire rifle to get a $30 part for these excellent factory rifles with such great aftermarket support? That's bullshit.

I'm quickly finding out that the aftermarket support isn't all that great unless that aftermarket support is people selling second hand parts for half the cost of the rifle or more.

T3X

FNG
These are mostly individual listings I’m looking at, not just the vendor. They’re selling too. There’s a walnut stock on eBay currently that they butchered shortening the LOP that they want $320 for, a forest takeoff stock for $400, and a laminate at $375. So who’s buying this stuff?
I hear ya, been keeping an eye out for a clean Forest take-off stock to upgrade my T3X Lite. Crazy prices, for not much more, I'll order one from Boyds exactly how I want it, with a better grade of walnut.

Lytro

WKR
Isn't it great that you have to buy an entire rifle to get a $30 part for these excellent factory rifles with such great aftermarket support? That's bullshit.

I'm quickly finding out that the aftermarket support isn't all that great unless that aftermarket support is people selling second hand parts for half the cost of the rifle or more.
To be fair, it was due to a range mistake that was 100% preventable. Brother in-law loaded and fired a .270 round in a 7RM and broke the extractor off the bolt when trying to eject the stuck casing. Luckily that was the only damage and the rifle still shoots sub MOA.

Other than that, I've never needed replacement parts in the 15 years I've owned Tikkas. Much better actions IMO than other rifles in the same price range. The huge variety of aftermarket parts for semi-custom builds is what makes them even more fun. No smith needed.

While I understand the frustration, getting mad at a free market system is a bit of a "shooting pool with a rope" scenario. The demand is there, so the prices will follow.

As for the pricing on an aftermarket bolt, if you were in the business of building rifles that sell at a certain price point, and those rifles were being bought up pretty much as fast as you could make them, why would you divert any of your manufacturing or assembly into just making the bolt assembly? And if you do, you want to get the same margin from it as you would from a whole rifle because for every bolt sold without a rifle, that is a rifle not sold.

For stocks and other 3rd party items, right now, most aftermarket providers are tooled up to provide Rem 700 support. Changing that over to Tikka support requires new tooling, programing, etc. That stuff isn't free, and they aren't going to wait 10 years to see the return on the investment. If Tikkas remain as popular as they are now, I can see product pricing start to stabilize as more competition enters the market and the existing people have recouped their investment dollars.

Finally, I will remind everyone that the Consumer Price Index has gone up by 16.5% under Uncle Joe. That means that, on average, you are paying 16.5% more for something today than you were in 2020.

Macintosh

WKR
Are there parts people go through or need somewhat regularly that arent available? I see the above comment, but that seems an extreme rarity. Are there others?

Gorp2007

WKR
gunzonedeals is $723 plus shipping and ffl.

Can you post a link? The website gunzonedeals.com has them available "email for price" at $887 and gun.deals has a variety of sellers for lower than MAP ($879) but the cheapest in stock is 750 and the gun doesn't ship for up to 30 days, plus $25 shipping, tax, and FFL transfers. I'm not saying that there aren't deals to found, but I can't find any SS 223s that are going to be in your hands for <$800.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Call me lucky I guess. I live in a place that has 5 really stocked sporting stores (bass pro, scheels, 2x sportsman’s, some local shops) that all sell used. It’s pretty tough to walk into one and not see a used tikka. They go for much less than prices discussed here ($500 been the best in recent months). I’m just stocking up now ;).

Sorry. Not nice.

OP
R
Can you post a link? The website gunzonedeals.com has them available "email for price" at $887 and gun.deals has a variety of sellers for lower than MAP ($879) but the cheapest in stock is 750 and the gun doesn't ship for up to 30 days, plus $25 shipping, tax, and FFL transfers. I'm not saying that there aren't deals to found, but I can't find any SS 223s that are going to be in your hands for <$800.

So email for the price…

Gorp2007

WKR
So email for the price…

EDIT 8/16: Looks like the link is legit, appreciate the others chiming in to confirm. Excited to see that dealers are getting enough supply to go below MAP.

As for the price of the actions, some people want to build a custom on the Tikka action but don't want to deal with or pay to have the factory barrel removed and have no interest in the factory stock. For them, the price is worth it.

End of the day a seller can ask for whatever they want, but they can only charge what someone else is willing to pay.

Last edited:

greenomics

Lil-Rokslider
I don't need a new Tikka or any more subscriptions to junk mail, I was just trying to verify the price that was quoted.

Aside from the mystery $723 rifle, I couldn't find any that provided any appreciable savings over an $800 TYD rifle on the classifieds, most were listed significantly higher.

As for the price of the actions, some people want to build a custom on the Tikka action but don't want to deal with or pay to have the factory barrel removed and have no interest in the factory stock. For them, the price is worth it.

End of the day a seller can ask for whatever they want, but they can only charge what someone else is willing to pay.
Not too hard to get a new T3X shipped to your ffl for under $800. I bought a new 30-06 T3X stainless last year for about $775 shipped. I certainly wouldn't spend anywhere near $800 on a used Tikka.

Gorp2007

WKR
Not too hard to get a new T3X shipped to your ffl for under $800. I bought a new 30-06 T3X stainless last year for about $775 shipped. I certainly wouldn't spend anywhere near $800 on a used Tikka.

And that's the beauty of markets, you're free to not buy that rifle and either the seller will adjust their price or they'll find a different buyer.

greenomics

Lil-Rokslider
So last year you bought one for $25 dollars less. That's interesting, but not everyone has a time machine to buy last year's rifle and some people don't want to wait for a random deal to pop up on gunz4less.ru, so if they see a rifle they want at a price within their budget, they buy the rifle and both parties are happy.
Price is unchanged from what I paid last year. I just checked. $766. I used a major gun retailer.

OP
R
I don't need a new Tikka or any more subscriptions to junk mail, I was just trying to verify the price that was quoted.

Aside from the mystery $723 rifle, I couldn't find any that provided any appreciable savings over an $800 TYD rifle on the classifieds, most were listed significantly higher.

You're incredibly stubborn. Someone posted where you can find the new SS lite for $723 and you call BS because you won't hit the email link. There's plenty of dealers where you can get new SS models for under $800 delivered to your dealer to pick up.

So are you one of the people that want a ridiculous amount of money for used stuff?

Yep, i'm another that had one of those mystery $723 stainless 6.5 tikkas shipped directly to a smith to get a 6 creedmoor barrel spun on it. That's less than they are selling the stainless actions for.

The only thing i can figure on why the bare actions fetch such a good price is that people just want to spin on a prefit but dont want to deal with removing a factory barrel. I don't even want to deal with selling factory stocks i've got sitting around. By they time a guy deals with listing, coordinating, getting to post office to ship, paying shipping, that $100 isn't worth much.