What's the deal with second hand Tikka rifles and parts pricing?

I've been scouting the classifieds here as well as ebay the last few weeks for takeoffs stocks and the prices people want are insane. $400 for a laminate or wood takeoff stock... half of the price of a whole damn rifle. I see used SS actions and complete rifles listed up for $800+. Does anyone actually buy this stuff? I'm generally curious because I can buy an SS Laminate model for under a grand so I might just go that route and sell the barreled action and only have $200 into a stock. If this is the prices people actually pay I can see why a vendor has made a good business in parting out new Tikka rifles.

FWIW I paid $792 brand new for my SS Lite 223 from a major dealer/distributor a few weeks ago, and it's a brand new rifle that I don't have to worry about who did god knows what to. Today I snagged a SS Varmint Walnut 6.5 Creedmoor which is a rare bird in great shape for $800 which I thought was a fair price for a lightly used rifle.

If you're buying Tikka stocks and parts, what have you actually paid for what? I've got a WTB ad up for a compact stock and I've been getting offers of $125-$200 which I think is insane when brand new aftermarket stocks can be had for $200 or less.

Rob5589

WKR
I've bought a couple X stocks, both were under 200 for sure. Maybe under 150 I can't exactly recall. The bolt assemblies are what get me. You could buy an entire rifle, pull the bolt, and sell the rest and be ahead of just buying a bolt.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Supply and demand doesn't explain why used rifles are listed for the same or more than you can buy new rifles from dealers for that have inventory.
The simplest explanation is usually the right one. Mass insanity isn’t simple, and that’s what it looks like.

Maybe the factor is sellers don’t actually get what they list as their price. If you make an offer and explain why you can get one cheaper sellers come down. I had a buddy try selling his rifle at a high price and he had to reduce it before it sold after months.

Transaction costs can increase the cost of a new rifle at a store.

• Banned
OP
R
I've bought a couple X stocks, both were under 200 for sure. Maybe under 150 I can't exactly recall. The bolt assemblies are what get me. You could buy an entire rifle, pull the bolt, and sell the rest and be ahead of just buying a bolt.

$450 for a mass produced bolt assembly is also insane to me when you can buy a blued lite model for less than $650 and have a whole gun for $200 more and not even have to swap barrels if it's for a switch barrel setup. $450 for a cast bolt assembly which is the same price as an Impact bolt assembly is just stupid.

People are crazy enough to pay it, the vendor will keep charging it. We all have a problem these days when it comes to boycotting or just not buying when the time or price isn't right.

If we don't pay it, they can't charge it.

• Banned
OP
R
These are mostly individual listings I’m looking at, not just the vendor. They’re selling too. There’s a walnut stock on eBay currently that they butchered shortening the LOP that they want $320 for, a forest takeoff stock for $400, and a laminate at $375. So who’s buying this stuff?

These are mostly individual listings I’m looking at, not just the vendor. They’re selling too. There’s a walnut stock on eBay currently that they butchered shortening the LOP that they want $320 for, a forest takeoff stock for $400, and a laminate at $375. So who’s buying this stuff?
You can ask what you want, but it is only worth what someone is willing to pay. To you try to make an offer

OP
R
You're entirely missing my point, stocks are selling for that. You can go to ebay and search completed listings and see what actually sold and what it sold for. I also know how making offers work and I dmade an offer on a T3X Lite that was very reasonable and not at all a low ball (10% under what a new one costs out the door) and showed where I could buy one brand new for for the price I stated and they said the price was firm and later that listing was marked sold. Theres currently a used SS 223 Lite in the classifieds for $825 and there's dealers that you can get them new for $800 or less shipped to your dealer.

The compact stock pricing is truly insane. I got one for 50 in April and had a guy turn down a 125 offer on Friday.

I think some ppl are banking on since it's out of stock (certain models are harder to find) someone is desperate and will pay up. Eventually the market will dictate if they are smart for doing this or they are dumb and need to drop the price, but yes it's hard to bite your tongue.

If anyone is looking new, gunzondeals has the best tikka prices imo, click email for price and they will give you their best price.

grfox92

WKR
I've been scouting the classifieds here as well as ebay the last few weeks for takeoffs stocks and the prices people want are insane. $400 for a laminate or wood takeoff stock... half of the price of a whole damn rifle. I see used SS actions and complete rifles listed up for $800+. Does anyone actually buy this stuff? I'm generally curious because I can buy an SS Laminate model for under a grand so I might just go that route and sell the barreled action and only have $200 into a stock. If this is the prices people actually pay I can see why a vendor has made a good business in parting out new Tikka rifles.

FWIW I paid $792 brand new for my SS Lite 223 from a major dealer/distributor a few weeks ago, and it's a brand new rifle that I don't have to worry about who did god knows what to. Today I snagged a SS Varmint Walnut 6.5 Creedmoor which is a rare bird in great shape for $800 which I thought was a fair price for a lightly used rifle.

If you're buying Tikka stocks and parts, what have you actually paid for what? I've got a WTB ad up for a compact stock and I've been getting offers of $125-$200 which I think is insane when brand new aftermarket stocks can be had for $200 or less.
I saw some Tikka things in the classifieds lately that had me shaking my head.....then I went to my local shop this weekend.

On the consignement rack, there is a blued Tikka T3x lite, in 30-06 with a $99 Burris Droptine 3x9 and a "custom trigger" for, get this, $1600. The world's gone wild.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

OP
R
That’s insane, and nobody is even going to make offers on something like that when someone is so unreasonable in their pricing.

Macintosh

WKR
I wonder sometimes too, I can walk into my local shop and have my pick of half a dozen stainless, new in box tikka rifles in a variety of calibers, all for under $800. Add sales tax and it's less than $850 out the door, including all fees, etc. And that's over $100 more than one I purchased a year or so ago, so it's not leftovers from pre-price increase. And GET THIS, that includes the stock, magazine, barrel, EVERYTHING YOU NEED! :) Hard to justify the costs I see on used. My guess is that many people dont have easy access to a retailer, prices are higher in some places if there are additional fees, blue-state taxes/transaction fees, people would rather pay a bit more than mess with parting it out, etc.

Juan_ID

WKR
You're entirely missing my point, stocks are selling for that. You can go to ebay and search completed listings and see what actually sold and what it sold for. I also know how making offers work and I dmade an offer on a T3X Lite that was very reasonable and not at all a low ball (10% under what a new one costs out the door) and showed where I could buy one brand new for for the price I stated and they said the price was firm and later that listing was marked sold. Theres currently a used SS 223 Lite in the classifieds for $825 and there's dealers that you can get them new for $800 or less shipped to your dealer.
Where are you finding new t3x ss 223’s for under 800 delivered? Genuinely curious… I’m one of the dummy’s that paid 850 delivered for one a few months back.