What’s the coolest thing you found in the back country

jjchad

WKR
Apologies in advance for a long post. I used to work as a bounty hunter. Back in ’95, I was tracking a group of escaped convicts into Montana's isolated Oxbow Quadrangle. I never found the men, but I did find a scrap of cloth, enough blood to paint the sheriff's office, a shotgun shell, and an old-fashioned Indian arrow. Seemed odd, so I took the arrow to an archaeologist who identified it as a replica of the arrows used by Cheyenne Dog Soldiers.

After much research, I found a long list of people who had disappeared into the Oxbow, including the story of a wild Indian child captured in the woods in the early 20th century. I know it sounds crazy, but eventually I returned to the Oxbow with the archeologist and began searching for a lost tribe of Indians.

After a week, we were maybe 50 miles in and nearing the end of our supplies. While packing our gear to head back to civilization, we were attacked by Cheyenne Indians who took us to their encampment in a valley only accessible through a tunnel behind a waterfall.

It was scary. They even shot my dog with an arrow. But eventually, tempers cooled, and I learned that the “wild Indian child” from all those years ago was now their tribal leader.

Befriending a hardy band of Native American Dog Soldiers who escaped the 1864 Sand Creek massacre and had been living in isolation for 128 years in the Montana wilderness was a unique experience. But if I had to pick, that secret tunnel through the waterfall was the coolest thing I’ve found in the backcountry.

View attachment 735050
Sounds like " Last of the Dogmen"

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Apologies in advance for a long post. I used to work as a bounty hunter. Back in ’95, I was tracking a group of escaped convicts into Montana's isolated Oxbow Quadrangle. I never found the men, but I did find a scrap of cloth, enough blood to paint the sheriff's office, a shotgun shell, and an old-fashioned Indian arrow. Seemed odd, so I took the arrow to an archaeologist who identified it as a replica of the arrows used by Cheyenne Dog Soldiers.

After much research, I found a long list of people who had disappeared into the Oxbow, including the story of a wild Indian child captured in the woods in the early 20th century. I know it sounds crazy, but eventually I returned to the Oxbow with the archeologist and began searching for a lost tribe of Indians.

After a week, we were maybe 50 miles in and nearing the end of our supplies. While packing our gear to head back to civilization, we were attacked by Cheyenne Indians who took us to their encampment in a valley only accessible through a tunnel behind a waterfall.

It was scary. They even shot my dog with an arrow. But eventually, tempers cooled, and I learned that the “wild Indian child” from all those years ago was now their tribal leader.

Befriending a hardy band of Native American Dog Soldiers who escaped the 1864 Sand Creek massacre and had been living in isolation for 128 years in the Montana wilderness was a unique experience. But if I had to pick, that secret tunnel through the waterfall was the coolest thing I’ve found in the backcountry.

View attachment 735050

The author, on location at the scene…

IMG_2243.jpeg

bpa556

Lil-Rokslider

View attachment 735050

OK…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warmsy

WKR
a4abf0c0152a635a1d288d462b7c7e36.jpg

A couple of Wyoming goodies. The top one I believe is a core, and then the bottom maybe a damaged projectile point or some other damaged cutting tool. Both found together in a likely spot in the sage with close access to good water and 360 degree views.
What is a "core"?

Warmsy

WKR

View attachment 735050
Tell us more

TheGDog

WKR

View attachment 735050
Riiiiiight.....

What is a "core"?

So, I'm an amateur, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I suppose it could be a "check core."

Check Core Description: c heck cores (Figure 7) are pieces of raw material with one or more flake scars. Function: testing by flintknapper to determine quality and suitability of raw material for use in tool production.

It has several flakes knocked off it, so it could be a core maybe.

Core Description: a core is any piece of raw material, such as a nodule, cobble, thick flake, or tabular piece, from which flakes have been removed for production of stone tools (Figure 9). It bears a negative flake scar or scars. The alignment of cleavage scars on various faces can be random or systematic. Cores can be embryonic; for example, a piece of natural, unprepared, raw material with a flake scar or scars, or can be termed exhausted cores, or core nuclei, discarded when too small to produce additional flakes of the desired shape or dimensions. They can take a variety of forms depending on type and orientation of flakes removed and can be classified by shape and orientation of flake removal. Block cores, or tabular pieces, are used in the production of irregularly shaped flakes. Blade cores are used in the production of regularly shaped blades or flakes. Categories for cores in HACS include multifaceted, polyhedral, bipolar, bifacial quarry blank, bifacial preform, core shatter, check core, or modified cobble. All flaked stone industries are represented by either flakes or cores.
Function: cores represent the raw material used in the flaked stone industry.

fatlander

WKR
In 2021, we let out a mid day location bugle. A bull answered back with a lazy bedded bugle near the back of the canyon. We were going to have to wait for the thermals to switch to make a play. While sitting on the hillside, between naps and snacks, I found an old quarter. We passed it around and guessed about how it may have gotten there. A few hours later, we found ourselves in a rut fest that culminated with a really good dead bull. That quarter rides in my bino harness everywhere I go. We use it to make decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found this many years ago. Saw the buck the previous winter in early mornin. Didn't know what I was looking at til I found this about a quarter mile from where I saw the buck. Biggest blacktail I've ever seen was around the next turn, unfortunately not during season. This antler reminds me of the sculpture from BeetlejuiceIMG_20240714_193742916.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240714_193759689.jpg
    IMG_20240714_193759689.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

AZJesse

FNG
Found this many years ago. Saw the buck the previous winter in early mornin. Didn't know what I was looking at til I found this about a quarter mile from where I saw the buck. Biggest blacktail I've ever seen was around the next turn, unfortunately not during season. This antler reminds me of the sculpture from BeetlejuiceView attachment 736468
That is a wicked double beam