What's the best 308 factory load for BC?

ericthered

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up a new Kimber Mountain Ascent in 308. Before I settle on the Nosler 165 accubond, I was wondering if there is a factory load with a better BC to help with those +400 yard shots. Thoughts?

WCB

WKR
If you want to stay around the same grain weight there will be less options than if you just look at B.C. There are a ton of .308 bullets with a better B.C. Are you looking for Accubond type performance or just strictly at B.C.?

I’ve got some high bc options in the classifieds rn if you want to try some🤨 (168 TMKs, ELDM’s, and AMaxs)

Hornady 150gr or 168gr SST SuperPerformance factory ammo is about as flat shooting as you are going to get with a 308. Certainly, the SST isn't an Accubond, but for the game a 308 is good for out to +400 yards there isn't likely going to be a performance difference between the two. Actually, the SST is likely better at the extended range. Put the bullet where it belongs and it's a dead animal.

TheHammer

WKR
Hsm vld 185s for factory loads. That being said I’ve had success with ttsx168s on whitetails and elk over 400. That is my bullet of choice in 308.

Hornady 165 gn SST always work well for me. Dropped my cow at 450 last year one shot. I have just a basic 700 and it always shoots under a MOA with those for me. Worth a try and usually easier to find than Nosler.

Nosler 168gr accubond long range, available in their trophy grade ammo. BC of .525 should keep enough velocity / energy to 600+ yards. I'm about to work a load for these bullets for my son's .308 Win

Sandstrom

WKR
Both Berger and Federal have loadings with 185 Juggernauts. They have a BC of .552

I took a a mule deer buck at 426 this last year with 165gr Nosler Accubond out of a rem .308 with a 26" barrel. It was a complete pass through an blew the offside shoulder to pieces. It did its job but the wound channel was less than impressive an it was just a pincel hole out the exit side.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I took a a mule deer buck at 426 this last year with 165gr Nosler Accubond out of a rem .308 with a 26" barrel. It was a complete pass through an blew the offside shoulder to pieces. It did its job but the wound channel was less than impressive an it was just a pincel hole out the exit side.

So it blew the offside shoulder to pieces? But the wound channel was less than impressive?

SloppyJ

WKR
The 168 Berger Classic Hunters do work. This was at about 40yds with 45gr of varget. I'm sure they come in a factory load. Not the highest BC but you should be balancing terminal performance and BC.

1000003435.jpg

My first post and I get scolded by Form. Really living up to the FNG tag lol. I guess i dont know what i expected the bullet to do once it entered the deer. The entrance and exit holes appeared to be the same size and i guess thats what was most surprising to me. I thought there would be expansion and inturn a larger exit hole. Replaying everything in my head to reply to this I didn't take a lot of things into consideration like my velocity at impact. Probably shouldn't have opened my mouth. I'll just stick to the rokcast and reading.
So it blew the offside shoulder to pieces? But the wound channel was less than impressive?

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
My first post and I get scolded by Form. Really living up to the FNG tag lol. I guess i dont know what i expected the bullet to do once it entered the deer. The entrance and exit holes appeared to be the same size and i guess thats what was most surprising to me. I thought there would be expansion and inturn a larger exit hole. Replaying everything in my head to reply to this I didn't take a lot of things into consideration like my velocity at impact. Probably shouldn't have opened my mouth. I'll just stick to the rokcast and reading.

The point of it all is you think critically about the challenges he presents you. I used to think MPBR was the way and to zero 1.5" high. He and others challlenged me and I couldnt logically defend my beliefs. Keep going and keep learning you will be fine.

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
The point of it all is you think critically about the challenges he presents you. I used to think MPBR was the way and to zero 1.5" high. He and others challlenged me and I couldnt logically defend my beliefs. Keep going and keep learning you will be fine.
Interesting. I have shot MPBR as that is how I was taught. I’ve been successful with that method for 40 years taking numerous animals 30+ between 250-450 yards. I shoot MOA scopes with BDC style reticles. I also validated all the hold overs based on actual testing. Seriously I would walk them back until I hit a clay pigeon consistently using the holdovers. Then ran the range finder and kept the distance on a card on the stock.

After finding this forum I am moving to MILs and starting to dial as I recognized the limitation of holdover is ROM 450-500 yards. I am expecting an improvement in group size and first hits from 250-600 yards once I learn how to use the system correctly. My first challenge is shooting from unknown angles at 450 yards caused me to be .7 MIL high based on the Hornady app. Now I need a new rangefinder to compensate for the angles. My Lecia is to old. All a big learning curve, but it is enjoyable and allows me to practice more.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Interesting. I have shot MPBR as that is how I was taught. I’ve been successful with that method for 40 years taking numerous animals 30+ between 250-450 yards. I shoot MOA scopes with BDC style reticles. I also validated all the hold overs based on actual testing. Seriously I would walk them back until I hit a clay pigeon consistently using the holdovers. Then ran the range finder and kept the distance on a card on the stock.

After finding this forum I am moving to MILs and starting to dial as I recognized the limitation of holdover is ROM 450-500 yards. I am expecting an improvement in group size and first hits from 250-600 yards once I learn how to use the system correctly. My first challenge is shooting from unknown angles at 450 yards caused me to be .7 MIL high based on the Hornady app. Now I need a new rangefinder to compensate for the angles. My Lecia is to old. All a big learning curve, but it is enjoyable and allows me to practice more.

I did all those same things as well. I held over and killed an antelope at 606 yards in 2009. With a weatherby and leupold scope. Knowing what I know now it was more luck then anything. The problem with learning alot is it makes you humble.

Oh definitely. When I was replying to the comment it hit me that I had that opinion right after the hunt but I didn't stop an think about what I've learned since then before committing.

May have experience a tumbling bullet that exited backwards, similar to the 7.62 wound channel in the attached diagrams at the end of the literature.

Recently saw something similar. Marble sized exit through the skin, golf ball sized permanent wound cavity through the animal.