What's something you wish you would have learned sooner in life

invest early - if company matches 401K put all I can in it - my family was truly a blessing I learned too late - drinking and womanizing just wasn't worth it (the nickname A-Z shouldn't have been me - The most important, my God the Lord of my life, have a relationship with Him, read His Word daily and apply the principals.

WyoKid

WKR
Prostaff - I say live the dream. I grew up in a small WY town and left for school, and lived in a lot of places for the military, jobs and the family - all were cities. I have a great job because of it but, at heart, I am a small town kid and dream of being able to earn a good wage in a small town just to be closer to the outdoors and doing the things I truly love.

I had an old wise friend that told me he had three regrets: 1) marrying his first wife as it was for the wrong reasons. 2) Working too much as he had no family life and no relationship with his kids as he was gone working so much. And 3) working to much because at the end of the day, when you are on your deathbed, you are not going to be thinking about that one last project you didn't finish or that one extra dollar you could have made.

So, stay in ID and enjoy it while you are physically and mentally able to do so.

Just scanning and reading alot of these other threads and seems that there's alot of experience and knowledge out there in all aspects of life. So what's something you wish you would have learned earlier in life to set yourself up for success whether it be hunting related or just anything to make life easier.
That alcohol won't help you solve anything. It will cost you in many ways other than $$$. You can do just fine without it.

Erebor

Lil-Rokslider
There's no such thing as love, You will be loved according to your ability to provide and even at that you will never be truly loved.

You are still going to loose all your money and hardwork because someone just doesn't FEEL it anymore. everything down the drain because someone doesn't get butterfly anymore.
Back to square one after all these years and effort.

Your mental health above everything, You are no good to anyone as a vegetable.

Last edited:

AKDoc

WKR
I have been very fortunate with few regrets in life.

I do wish that I would have discovered remote pack-raft floats earlier in my life here in Alaska. That said, no regrets. I discovered remote floats a decade ago, and I have greatly enjoyed the many remote pack-raft fly-fishing floats that I have experienced thus far...they are the absolute best!

IMG_2307.jpgIMG_2347.jpgIMG_6240.jpeg IMG_1755 (4).jpeg

IDVortex

WKR
Never trust a friend who you know less than 10 years, they'll back stab you when you need them, and never go to a pastor about anything besides the Bible, they'll turn around and gossip faster than the ladies pray group. And if said friend of less than 10 years is a pastor, get rid of them.

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
For the guys that like to brag that they were able to retire early. I wouldn’t trade what I have as a working stiff for what 9 out of 10 say they have as a retired person right now.

For the guys that like to brag that they were able to retire early. I wouldn’t trade what I have as a working stiff for what 9 out of 10 say they have as a retired person right now.
I don’t know. I retired 10 years ago at 44, and I wouldn’t change a thing. We didn’t have kids is the major reason why. Dad taught me not to carry any debt other than our mortgage that will be paid off in 5 years. With two properties in Washington and a rental in Oregon we are sitting pretty well. Wife is still working, but only until our mortgage is paid off in 5 years. Then our rental will be paid off as well.