What's something you wish you would have learned sooner in life

Ask for,what you want. The worst that can happen is she/they will say you can’t have it, and you already don’t have it… so you cannot lose.

Say yes to what you want to do. Say no to what you don’t want to do (unless you’re just saying no out of fear or laziness). Here’s the hardest part. Pay very close attention so you can learn to tell the difference between those last two.
Having a hard time with this right now. Living in Idaho WFH full time job that pays shockingly well.

They want to promote me to a management position & other companies want to hire me, but id have to move to CA or NYC for those too. Eats me alive some moments in the day. But here in ID life is absurdly easy. Just turned 28, elk tag and deer tag in my pocket, went on my first bear hunt this spring & smoked the steelhead... just wonder if its laziness or fear? Both? Neither? Id make more money which would likely eat up cost of living change but not by a ton. Just ******* hate cities, but born for big city employment... any thoughts appreciated

OP
turbo406

turbo406

FNG
Having a hard time with this right now. Living in Idaho WFH full time job that pays shockingly well.

They want to promote me to a management position & other companies want to hire me, but id have to move to CA or NYC for those too. Eats me alive some moments in the day. But here in ID life is absurdly easy. Just turned 28, elk tag and deer tag in my pocket, went on my first bear hunt this spring & smoked the steelhead... just wonder if its laziness or fear? Both? Neither? Id make more money which would likely eat up cost of living change but not by a ton. Just ******* hate cities, but born for big city employment... any thoughts appreciated
Not really the same thing but about 6 years ago I was working as a mechanic for a road construction outfit and making stupid money for what I was doing, but I was working alot, gone all the time, it just really seemed like I lived to work not worked to live. I took a gig working 40 hours a week making better hourly but alot less yearly, since then it allowed me to actually enjoy my life and pursue hobbies that I didn't get to before. Long story short in my case money wasn't everything.

ODB

WKR
Being humble and realizing you don’t really know much at all. Soak up all you can and eventually you can weed out the BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very important. The Dunning-Kruger Effect is real.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F54e50e5c-edaf-48d1-8a40-b04a270c4d7a_1920x1597.png

I wish I would have learned sooner that those I thought had all the answers were just guessing the whole time, and largely relaying bad information they had gotten themselves.

I would also say that I wish I would have been more assertive when younger - I went along to get along, but that got me nowhere. When I finally broke free of well-meaning, but ineffective influence, I did much better.

Elkbelch

FNG

We call these the golden handcuffs, don't fall for it. It will provide, it will also alter your dreams

We call these the golden handcuffs, don't fall for it. It will provide, it will also alter your dreams
The promotion are golden handcuffs or where I am at now? Seems like both might be... sounds like I should grab a masters degree

Marble

WKR

I choose happiness over money every time. Being happy and less stressed gives you more tools to do everything better.

At 28 yoa, making good money, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to achieve everything you've ever dreamed of. Choose life, happiness and a place to raise your kids that agrees with your family.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Sometimes being 100% honest and upfront isn't the best approach. I don't lie and I don't intentionally deceive, but I've learned that sometimes a message delivered with kid's gloves is better than just laying it out there as I see it. Similarly, the words we use matter and the way a message is delivered is important.
If I made a venn diagram of people who tell everyone they "call it like I see it" and assholes, it would be a circle.

IDVortex

WKR
How to properly love a woman with your heart and emotions, that family isn't always going to be there and some times will take advantage of you and then play victim. Companies only value you as a body, and that you're replaceable. Pick friends wisely, ones who have your back no matter what, and that don't gossip. Lastly, you're the worse enemy to yourself.

Sapcut

WKR
I wish I listened and learned earlier the proper way to nourish our human bodies and I wish I had learned earlier the factual corruption of our health care system and the uneducated doctors that work within it. My sister, who was a quadriplegic had been telling me those two things. in particular, for at least the last twenty years and I didn't listen. She was absolutely spot on on everything she said that most would say was tinfoil hat talk.

Last edited:

KenLee

WKR
I could’ve partied 1/5th of the amount I did from age 18-26 and still had a whole lot of fun and been buying investment properties. I blew EVERYTHING I made during those years in bars across the country. Makes me angry.

No chance I’d do the high school sports thing again. I would’ve put that energy into working more. It’s all for nothing. I have been limping around for two weeks because a 20 year old injury has been flaring up. I got a couple sports injuries that visit a few times year. Typically when I want to be hunting, fishing, or skiing with my family.

Buy all the Bitcoin.
If it makes you feel any better, about half the folks I know who weren't big partiers when young go off the deep end later in life and ruin marriages and often relationships with their kids. At least you got it out of your system early. Some old farts like me started early and never learn their lesson.

Bucky44

FNG
Just scanning and reading alot of these other threads and seems that there's alot of experience and knowledge out there in all aspects of life. So what's something you wish you would have learned earlier in life to set yourself up for success whether it be hunting related or just anything to make life easier.
Compound interest is the 8th wonder of the world, he who understands it earns it, he who doesn’t pays it! Albert Einstein This quote was pounded into my head by both my grandfather and dad. Boy did it work retired very young!

The grass is never greener. Learn to enjoy what you have. Be easy on yourself, others aren’t doing any better even they try and convince the world they are. Learn to weld. Learn basic electrical work. Diet and exercise, it will catch up to you. Love your children but don’t put them above everything, you still have a marriage and life to live. Kids forgive your mistakes pretty easy. Pay your savings and retirement 1st. Do the big trip now, tomorrow is not promised

AKBorn

WKR

CA OR NYC - BIG NO!

You are making great money WFH in a great outdoors state. There are no elk in CA or NYC, there are WAY too many people in both places, and the traffic is insane in both. I have some level of knowledge - dated a Ca girl for 20 years long distance before rescuing her from CA when I retired in 2020. Also did a few consulting gigs in NYC many years ago.

There are some deer hunting opportunities in NY state, but probably nothing like Idaho. Same for CA.

Being stuck in cities, around lots of people and much less nature, will change your perspective and temperament. It will not be a good change.

Save money for retirement while enjoying every day in a great location for outdoorsmen. The grass is NOT greener in this case, and more money won't make up for the degraded lifestyle you would live.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member

You would probably have to travel for outdoor recreation, a long drive out of the city or fly back to Idaho. That along with the increase in cost of living you would need at least 3x your current income, not to mention that management gigs can be harder to take time off.