What's something you wish you would have learned sooner in life

turbo406

FNG
Just scanning and reading alot of these other threads and seems that there's alot of experience and knowledge out there in all aspects of life. So what's something you wish you would have learned earlier in life to set yourself up for success whether it be hunting related or just anything to make life easier.

huntnful

WKR
Being humble and realizing you don’t really know much at all. Soak up all you can and eventually you can weed out the BS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a really good one!

Save and invest your money. You don't need $80k trucks and $100k boats and RV's to impress people that don't care anyways. I would be retired right now (34 years old) if I started my exact same investment path at 19 years old. Instead I started it when I was 29 hahaha. Oh well, better late than never. Money, and less financial stress does buy you emotional and physical freedom, and lots of it.

That's a really good one!

Save and invest your money. You don't need $80k trucks and $100k boats and RV's to impress people that don't care anyways. I would be retired right now (34 years old) if I started my exact same investment path at 19 years old. Instead I started it when I was 29 hahaha. Oh well, better late than never. Money, and less financial stress does buy you emotional and physical freedom, and lots of it.
My dad taught me at a young age to save money and not buy frivolous items, and always pay with cash. Other than the house mortgage. I retired at 44. My friends used to harp on me how cheap I was. Now I’m watching my friends with big credit card debt saying they should have listened to me.

Last edited:

huntnful

WKR
My dad taught me at a young age to save money and not buy frivolous items, and always pay with cash. Other than the house mortgage. I retired at 45. My friends used to harp on me how cheap I was. Now I’m watching my friends with big credit card debt saying they should have listened to me.
My target goal is now 45. My youngest daughter will be 19, the house will be paid off and I only need to bridge a 10 year wage gap until I can draw my pension at 55, and then my 401K at 59 1/2.

I admittedly spend way more money on hunting now than I should, but it's my true passion. I drive a 14 year old car with 245K miles and a 14 year old truck with 253K miles and buy my clothes from costco hahaha. But I have some damn nice rifles and optics, and get to do plenty of hunting now!!

SloppyJ

WKR
How short our time is on this earth. My mom passed away when I was 30 and my son had just turned 1. She retired and watched him full time for us every day. She loved him so much and had looked forward to her grandkids for a long while. It kills me that he won't remember her let alone my other son who just turned 1 this last week.

My mom had 3 massive brain surgeries in her life and had to learn how to walk twice. She did what she wanted and lived like every day was her last. She knew the odds weren't in her favor and taught me so many lessons through life. I miss her every day and wish she could come play with her grandkids for just one more day.

Don't take it for granted.

rickyw

Lil-Rokslider
How to take good care of my back by:
Spine hygiene - good movement, focusing movement through the hips and shoulders to spare the spine, allowing enough time after loading the spine through exercise for proper recovery of bone and connective tissue so the spine properly adapts. Understanding my unique body proportions and anatomy so that i tune exercises like the deadlift and squat to my body to benefit it and not risk injury. Etc etc.
Now I know these things and hope to avert more injury and keep a strong and able back

Last edited:
Ask for what you want. The worst that can happen is she/they will say you can’t have it, and you already don’t have it… so you cannot lose.

Say yes to what you want to do. Say no to what you don’t want to do (unless you’re just saying no out of fear or laziness). Here’s the hardest part. Pay very close attention so you can learn to tell the difference between those last two.

Last edited:

goodlife

FNG
Exercise isn't just for jocks. It's the key to getting the most out of life past your teenage years, being fit opens so many doors, helps you with energy and depression, and even if you're a bookworm, exercise is a huge contributing factor to the development and maintenance of cognitive capabilities. And a little exercise is better than no exercise.

Finn16

WKR
Planning for the future should go beyond our earthly lives. It's easy to get so caught up in just living our lives here that we don't give much thought as to what happens after we leave this life. Our lives on earth are but a blink of an eye, but our lives beyond earth, are forever. What we choose to believe here, and how we live here, will have eternal consequences.

KsRancher

WKR
Not that life is all about money. But it sure helps a person enjoy some things in life. But I wish I realized how much money was out there and how to capitalize on some of it. I grew up in a family with not much money. I thought if you brought home $500/week you were absolutely killing it. And this was in the 2000-2010 time frame. So I settled for less thinking that it was the normal.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
My dad taught me at a young age to save money and not buy frivolous items, and always pay with cash. Other than the house mortgage. I retired at 45. My friends used to harp on me how cheap I was. Now I’m watching my friends with big credit card debt saying they should have listened to me.
Had this conversation last night, I feel like im behind the game. I cant wrap my head around the stats that over half of america cant afford a $500 emergency. Friends have new trucks, houses, boats, atv's, guns... Going on vacations, eating out/drinking.

I know what they make, I get called frugal and cheap when I tell them I cant afford things or dont value things at a certain price. I ask them about investing accounts, Roth IRA's. They got nothing. All hoping to rely on pension and SS.

Everyone laughs when i tell them im done working full time by 45. Just turned 28. I'll get a cheap job stocking shelves or an outdoor store to ease the pull from investment accounts, but i'll have off October, November, December and probably May/June. I have no problem working, I enjoy what I do, but I wasn't put here on earth to do my job.

Comparison is the thief of joy... but i cant help but feel robbed some days.