Whats missing on your bench?

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
Not too much I need but a couple of wants.
Perhaps adding a Redding turret press and leaving all of my sizing dies loaded. Then bullet seating with the ole single stage Redding. I'm going to add some die and tool holders soon.

Not too much big in the near future. Been looking at glass and gear upgrades lately.

I'd love to move it into a bedroom but my wife isn't too thrilled with that so maybe I'll just buy a bigger house...:unsure::sneaky:🧐

I'll post pics later today.

TaperPin

WKR
I need to figure out a storage method for barrels - maybe a thin cabinet mounted to the wall like a short pool cue holder. Getting a switch barrel gun creates a sickness - every popular caliber starts to look interesting, then old obsolete calibers pop up for cheap, then all sorts of weird profiles seem reasonable, now I’m looking for 30” and 16” barrels. Even when you aren’t looking, better quality barrels fall out of the sky so duplicates are starting to appear. Gotta cut this short - there’s an octagon barrel I really need to bid on! Lol

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I need to figure out a storage method for barrels - maybe a thin cabinet mounted to the wall like a short pool cue holder. Getting a switch barrel gun creates a sickness - every popular caliber starts to look interesting, then old obsolete calibers pop up for cheap, then all sorts of weird profiles seem reasonable, now I’m looking for 30” and 16” barrels. Even when you aren’t looking, better quality barrels fall out of the sky so duplicates are starting to appear. Gotta cut this short - there’s an octagon barrel I really need to bid on! Lol
What action?

pbroski

FNG
What's missing for me? In a way, not much.

Like most people, I used to load everything on a single stage press, weighing each powder charge on a balance beam scale, and used a torch for annealing. As you know, that's a long tedious process and I didn't shoot all that much because of it. I did enjoy it though.

I've come a long way since then. Now I use progressive presses. I have a different progressive press for each case head size that I load for. There's no shell plate or primer feed changes involved. I use a Lee Breech Lock Pro with case feeder for .44 Magnum, a Lee Six Pack Pro with case feeder for .17 Hornet, another Six Pack Pro with case feeder for .223 and .17 Rem, a Dillon BL550 for 6.5 PRC, 7mm SAUM, .375 Ruger, etc., and a Dillon XL750 with case feeder for 22-250 AI, 6.5 CM, .6.5-06 AI, 280 AI, .308 etc.

To speed up loading further, I use Lee bullet feeders for the .44 magnum, .223, 6.5 CM, 6.5-06 AI, 6.5 PRC, and .308.

For annealing, I use an AMP annealer with their automated AMP Mate, fed by a Dillon case feeder. It does all the cartridges I load for.

For trimming, deburring and chamfering, I mostly use modified Lee Quick Trim dies on the press during the loading process. I also have Forester and RCBS trimmers as well as the Lyman Case Trim Express (which I use for .17 caliber).

To seat primers for precision loads, I usually don't use the progressive presses. For that I use a Lee Deluxe APP press. It's set up to seats them precisely to the depth I want..

For powder drop, depending on the load, I either use an AutoTrickler V4 or a Dillon powder measure or a Lee Auto Drum powder measure.

To "finish off" bullet seating on precision loads, I use an AMP press with Wilson in-line seater dies to get that exact seating depth that I'm usually after.

For annealing, I use an AMP annealer with their automated AMP Mate, fed by a Dillon case feeder. It does all the cartridges I load for.

I take my ammunition loading very seriously and am willing to spend big bucks on it. As a result, I can now crank out ammo like crazy - on demand. And it's mostly match quality. I shoot a lot more now as a result. That is very, very cool!

Two of the biggest time savers are the AutoTrickler and Amp annealer with AMP Mate and Dillon case feeder.

So what IS missing then? Not much , if you can call another Dillon XL750 with case and bullet feeders not much. I need it for the the new .22 ARC project that I have in the works. The darn cartridge has a different case head size. LOL. But those Dillon's sure are nice presses!

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
What's missing for me? In a way, not much.

Like most people, I used to load everything on a single stage press, weighing each powder charge on a balance beam scale, and used a torch for annealing. As you know, that's a long tedious process and I didn't shoot all that much because of it. I did enjoy it though.

I've come a long way since then. Now I use progressive presses. I have a different progressive press for each case head size that I load for. There's no shell plate or primer feed changes involved. I use a Lee Breech Lock Pro with case feeder for .44 Magnum, a Lee Six Pack Pro with case feeder for .17 Hornet, another Six Pack Pro with case feeder for .223 and .17 Rem, a Dillon BL550 for 6.5 PRC, 7mm SAUM, .375 Ruger, etc., and a Dillon XL750 with case feeder for 22-250 AI, 6.5 CM, .6.5-06 AI, 280 AI, .308 etc.

To speed up loading further, I use Lee bullet feeders for the .44 magnum, .223, 6.5 CM, 6.5-06 AI, 6.5 PRC, and .308.

For trimming, deburring and chamfering, I mostly use modified Lee Quick Trim dies on the press during the loading process. I also have Forester and RCBS trimmers as well as the Lyman Case Trim Express (which I use for .17 caliber).

To seat primers for precision loads, I usually don't use the progressive presses. For that I use a Lee Deluxe APP press. It's set up to seats them precisely to the depth I want..

For powder drop, depending on the load, I either use an AutoTrickler V4 or a Dillon powder measure or a Lee Auto Drum powder measure.

To "finish off" bullet seating on precision loads, I use an AMP press with Wilson in-line seater dies to get that exact seating depth that I'm usually after.

I take my ammunition loading very seriously and am willing to spend big bucks on it. As a result, I can now crank out ammo like crazy - on demand. And it's mostly match quality. I shoot a lot more now as a result. That is very, very cool!

Two of the biggest time savers are the AutoTrickler and Amp annealer with AMP Mate and Dillon case feeder.

So what IS missing then? Not much , if you can call another Dillon XL750 with case and bullet feeders not much. I need it for the the new .22 ARC project that I have in the works. The darn cartridge has a different case head size. LOL. But those Dillon's sure are nice presses!
Let's see a picture of this incredible set up

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
The area 419 funnel with a drop tube is a great addition to the bench. I know I love mine and was surprised how well it works.

ElkTycoon

FNG
I have everything I need to make 1/4 minute ammo. Rcbs press, Rcbs charge master, Wilson case trimmer. Rcbs hand priming tool. Redding dies. Custom made annealing machine Mitumoyo calipers… nothing fancy but it’s worked for a long time and will keep on working.

Quality rifles/optics and enough practice to shoot the ammo to its potential.

pbroski

FNG
Let's see a picture of this incredible set up
Not shown is the .44 Magnum press. It's not set up right now because I'm not loading for it at this time. I know it's cluttered but there's not a lot of room.

Attachments

• DSCF2369 - Copy.JPG
    DSCF2369 - Copy.JPG
    455.6 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCF2370.JPG
    DSCF2370.JPG
    406.5 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCF2379.JPG
    DSCF2379.JPG
    438.9 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCF2378.JPG
    DSCF2378.JPG
    342.2 KB · Views: 36

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with elktycoon, more then enough quality to fab great ammo. That can likely be done with an RCBS starter kit and premium dies.

I think we tend to get caught up in locating the bottom of the rabbit hole. IMO, quality dies and top shelf components are the foundation to great ammo.

Having said that I'm always looking for that next layer to the rabbit hole myself:)

Here's mine, not much but it works for low volume precision work on 3-4 rifles at any given time.

20240310_104335.jpg20240310_104323.jpg20240310_104306.jpg

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
What do you think you gained using it?

Anyone else?

I needed a drop tube for my 7 saum which drove me in that direction. You don't see kernels hang up in the fullel like with plastic. Additionally, it flows better allowing to dumped the powder and just let it fall.

All are nice items but by no means game changers.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
What do you think you gained using it?

Anyone else?
One thing I need is a good funnel with a long drop tube.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I use the short action customs funnel with inserts. And when I need a drop tube I use 2 of the extensions.

Its worked great for compressed loads and regular loads. I dont get powder stuck in the funnel, and the way the funnel is designed, drops the powder in the case on compressed loads to where I dont have to use a vibrating toothbrush or other methods to be able to seat bullets.

Also the way the headspace inserts for various cartridges use the shoulder, its really nice not to have to worry about the funnel tipping over or spilling powder like the cheap plastic ones would do. Frees up a hand when dumping powder in the case.

I will say I dont run any extremely compressed loads though, most of mine are a lightly compressed case fill.

sndmn11

WKR
@WKR @Slick8 so do they flow well enough that it's more like a toilet bowl? I get annoyed with having to tap the side of the funnel sometimes. I do have a few loads that are close to full and I think a swirl would help as well as the drop tube.

Thanks!

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
No swirling that I'm aware of but the drop tube certainly helps to pack the powder just a bit and no tapping like that of a plastic funnel.