What's in your first aid kit?

bwlacy

WKR
I will be spending 10 days in the back country and was curious what everyone else has in their first aid kit. I was planning on some band aids, super glue, Neosporin, Ibuprophen, Excedrine, and nail clippers. Anything else that I really need? Maybe some tape?

Tuscor

FNG
I always go a little bit over the top with my 1st aid kit...

If you are in an area with venemous snakes then plenty of banadage rolls (when in Australia I take at least 3).

Maybe some activated charcoal tablets for a dodgy belly, and I always take a couple of sachets of rehydration salts in case I puke my guts out or develop the runs (has happended with bad water one time - I hate to rely solely on filter).

If you carry sharps (knife/axe/saw) I'd consider some form of trauma dressing. I take just one which is in an outer pocket of my pack or in jacket pocket. In case of a bad injury (deep meat and lots of blood) I want more than a bandaid.

I also keep a tick removal kit in the 1st aid case, one for me and another for the dog if he is coming.

Other than that, your list looks good.

OP
B

bwlacy

WKR
Hey thanks for the link. Some of that stuff I've never heard of. I may have to rethink some stuff and maybe add them to the list.

Mtnboy

WKR
Ibuprophen, Hydrocodone, Anti Diarreaha, Duct Tape.

If it's something bad enough that I can't fix it with that, then I need to get out of there.

What do you use as a first aid pouch? Will a kifaru ultralight pullout be water resistant enough to stop your band aids from getting wet?

colonel00

WKR
What do you use as a first aid pouch? Will a kifaru ultralight pullout be water resistant enough to stop your band aids from getting wet?

I think it all depends on the conditions you will be facing. A minor sprinkle and it might work fine but it isn't waterproof. Get some small ziplock type baggies from a craft store to hold things you want to keep dry from heavier showers.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I got tired of drying out the contents of our kit everytime we soaked it, so I went to a 2L roll top dry bag. Inside, I have things organized into smaller ziplocks (meds in one, bandages in another, repair supplies in another...)but the drybbag is less prone to tears and wear holes than a plastic bag...

Flyrod

Lil-Rokslider
1 medium ABD pad
spray neo sporran
tylenol and advil 5 of each
allergy pills-3
diarrhea pills-2
lip balm
10 assorted bandaids
ace bandage
blister kit----some moleskin, about 5 ft of leukotape, 4-5 band aid brand blister care things
1 quick clot bandage
some assorted gauze
small length of 1/2" tape
gloves

Flyrod

Lil-Rokslider
any drug store should do….

or buy a ready to go kit and be done with it.

Please don't be offended…But i interpret your inquiry for not knowing where to obtain a kit or materials as not have a knowledge of some basic first aid.

Which is perfectly okay.

Thus i recommend a short "introduction to first aid" course from a local first aid provider. They will also point you to what you would need or even sell you them.
…..Because having a first aid kit is useless if you don't know what to do with it.

If I'm wrong about my assumptions…. I apologize and please disregard my ramblings.

ofl0926

WKR
any drug store should do….

or buy a ready to go kit and be done with it.

Please don't be offended…But i interpret your inquiry for not knowing where to obtain a kit or materials as not have a knowledge of some basic first aid.

Which is perfectly okay.

Thus i recommend a short "introduction to first aid" course from a local first aid provider. They will also point you to what you would need or even sell you them.
…..Because having a first aid kit is useless if you don't know what to do with it.

If I'm wrong about my assumptions…. I apologize and please disregard my ramblings.

Lol it's ok. I'm actually a firefighter/paramedic with ACLS and PALS certification. I only ask where to buy stuff because our drug stores in the local area tend to be expensive. I figure buying online would be cheaper.

For backcountry and being well out of reach for the 'golden hour' I would recommend some additional gear.

Tourniquet -- For some reason there always seems to be controversy over this yet it is probably one of the most lifesaving pieces of kit available.
Israeli Dressing
Quick Clot
Cravat
Vaseline Dressing for burns / hasty chest seal
Small SAM Splint
Signal mirror
Whistle (beats yelling)
Piece of VS-17 panel
Shears

I carry a larger kit in my truck with 2x of everything + some additional gear. It's definitely come in handy.

Flyrod

Lil-Rokslider
Lol it's ok. I'm actually a firefighter/paramedic with ACLS and PALS certification. I only ask where to buy stuff because our drug stores in the local area tend to be expensive. I figure buying online would be cheaper.

Awesome!
Do like I do then.... Steal it from work!.....

Just kidding....
Sort of.. ;)