What’s going on with the Factory Hornady 7 PRC ammo?????

Jlowry809

FNG
Got several boxes of a new batch of Federal and it shot great. SD wasn’t as low as first batch I had but still can’t complain for factory ammo.

Attachments

• IMG_3284.jpeg
    IMG_3284.jpeg
    301.9 KB · Views: 52
I had some of the original ammo from 12 months ago and it was 2900’s, this last batch won’t break 2800 from Proof and Bartlein. The groups are crazy inconsistent at the lower speeds.

I had some of the original ammo from 12 months ago and it was 2900’s, this last batch won’t break 2800 from Proof and Bartlein. The groups are crazy inconsistent at the lower speeds.
They are different powders. Check the vid a few post up... Like 3-4 different powders from Hornady in their ammo. Supposedly they are not shoes to get the powder they want.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

The Hornady Precision Hunter 175 ELD-X ammo has shown wide lot to lot variability in my recent testing. I have a 7 PRC built off a Tikka action, Bartlein CFW 18 inch barrel, Thunderbeast Ultra 7 can. All velocity numbers below are averaged over the entirety of a 20 round box. I'd shoot 5 shots, let barrel cool, 5 shots, and so on. All were shot on the same day/conditions with temps at 85-92 degrees. I didn't track the groups with pictures but the higher velocity lots grouped better, but would also show occasional pressure signs.

LOT number/ Avg velocity (fps)
3232307 / 2634
3232308 / 2610
3234123 / 2661
3234253 / 2726

By comparison, a box of the Federal 175 ELD-X shot 2801 fps out of the same rifle on the same day in the same conditions with zero pressure signs. I'm handloading for this rifle with RL-26, but if I wasn't I'd go with the Federal ammo. The Hornady ammo shot worse, was slower, and had pressure signs intermittently.

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
The Hornady Precision Hunter 175 ELD-X ammo has shown wide lot to lot variability in my recent testing. I have a 7 PRC built off a Tikka action, Bartlein CFW 18 inch barrel, Thunderbeast Ultra 7 can. All velocity numbers below are averaged over the entirety of a 20 round box. I'd shoot 5 shots, let barrel cool, 5 shots, and so on. All were shot on the same day/conditions with temps at 85-92 degrees. I didn't track the groups with pictures but the higher velocity lots grouped better, but would also show occasional pressure signs.

3232307 / 2634
3232308 / 2610
3234123 / 2661
3234253 / 2726

By comparison, a box of the Federal 175 ELD-X shot 2801 fps out of the same rifle on the same day in the same conditions with zero pressure signs. I'm handloading for this rifle with RL-26, but if I wasn't I'd go with the Federal ammo. The Hornady ammo shot worse, was slower, and had pressure signs intermittently.
2801 sounds pretty good for factory ammo out of an 18 inch barrel. I’m having a similar build done with a Tikka action and bartlein cf 20 inch. What kind of velocity and groups are you getting with your reloads?

2801 sounds pretty good for factory ammo out of an 18 inch barrel. I’m having a similar build done with a Tikka action and bartlein cf 20 inch. What kind of velocity and groups are you getting with your reloads?

I've only been shooting factory ammo while accumulating components. I have all components now and will be starting load workup (Form's method) soon and will post that info.

ElkPRC

Lil-Rokslider

3232307 / 2634
3232308 / 2610
3234123 / 2661
3234253 / 2726

So I am curious what you mean by the Hornady ammo had pressure sign. From a physics perspective it’s not possible to be low on velocity and high on pressure.

Were you seeing increase extractor markings? What can actually happen when a load is loaded very light is the brass does not fully expand and grip the outer wall of the chamber. By not doing this and have that grip from friction with the chamber wall there is increased pressure on the bolt, but overall lower pressure is observed and the load is still very safe.

I’d be willing to bet that if you got brass from the lower Hornady loads and then from hot hand loads or the faster Federal ammo you would see a difference in headspace length on the fired brass.

kickemall

WKR
Shot my 7 PRC yesterday with Federal ELD X and it chrono'd at 2956 from a 24" barrel with solid under an inch five shot groups. Same gun shot Hornady ELD X at 2878 about a month ago and not nearly as good of groups.

So I am curious what you mean by the Hornady ammo had pressure sign. From a physics perspective it’s not possible to be low on velocity and high on pressure.

Were you seeing increase extractor markings? What can actually happen when a load is loaded very light is the brass does not fully expand and grip the outer wall of the chamber. By not doing this and have that grip from friction with the chamber wall there is increased pressure on the bolt, but overall lower pressure is observed and the load is still very safe.

I’d be willing to bet that if you got brass from the lower Hornady loads and then from hot hand loads or the faster Federal ammo you would see a difference in headspace length on the fired brass.
I had pressure issues with Hornady and low speeds too... You can have high pressure low velocity with COAL issues. The Hornady loads I had were too long and jammed into the lands. Federal was shorter and chambered/removed find, Hornady had lands marks and was sticky to extract.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

The Hornady and Federal loads are clearly not using the same powder. The Federal loads are shorter than the Hornady, but in my rifle there is still plenty of length to the lands so they are not jamming. Using the Hornady comparator tool, fired brass to the shoulder is the same across both loads. By pressure, I mean head swipes and stiff bolt lift. The Hornady load is hitting pressure at lower velocities. That's going to be due to the difference in powder used.