What's a good public land whitetail state in the midwest?

We (Oklahoma) went from probably the cheapest to one of the most expensive states for out of state deer hunters and it was long overdue. The last increase was 25 years ago. $710 for license and tag for non-resident. Oklahoma's wildlife department is 100% funded by hunters and fisherman. When you have out of state outfitters leasing up 1,000s of acres because non-resident tags are cheap, it's time for a change.

Wish Arkansas would follow suit. We just upped our OoS tag prices last year, but they are still way too cheap. And judging by the amount of Texas tags I see on our public land, they could triple the new price.

Ohio is a good state to hunt in. Only 5% public land, but if you research enough, you will find places to hunt. Wayne National Forest in southern Ohio has a lot of public land available. Ohio has a very long bow season (end of September through beginning of February). With that said, Ohio has the dumbest rifle laws for hunting (straight walled cartridge only - think 350 legend or 450 bushmaster) which is super annoying. Also, gun season brings out the orange army.

I really feel people who say things like you just did are jerks.

Wish Arkansas would follow suit. We just upped our OoS tag prices last year, but they are still way too cheap. And judging by the amount of Texas tags I see on our public land, they could triple the new price.

Back