What yardages do you set with your 7 pin sight?

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a Spott Hogg 7 Pin sight. I use the bow for Whitetail, Mule Deer and Elk. What yardages would you suggest I set my new sight at?

OP
hflier

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Great I was thinking that way too. Just wanted to see what the norm was.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can also run the top of your bubble at 90 or 100. Since the wire runs down to the bubble you can use it like an 8th pin.

Hardstalk

WKR
+1 evan. I have a spott hogg 5 pin skip my 20 go 30 40 50 skip 60 then have a 70 and 80 i skip 60 because with the 50 rested on spine 60 is right in the vitals.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the new CBE Tek-Hybrid with 7 pins. I run 20-80 and my 80 yard pin is my floater for yardages after that.

I am running two different set-ups on my sight this year. For my Elk/Whitetail on my Element RKT I am running my CBE Tek-Hunter with 3 greens all .019 and use my 40 as my floater. Then for my KS Mule Deer set-up I am running another CBE Tek-Hunter with 5 pins: green(.029), green (.019), red (.019), green (.019), green (.019) and then I use my 60 as my floater. I tried the whole 7 pin deal and just never got along with it as well. I was always having to count pins and it took too much time for me. Plus my thought was at those distances I don't want to be pin gapping on an animal or target I want to put a pin exactly where I want to hit and go.

ckleeves

WKR
You gotta be better at math then I am to use a 7 pin lol! I have tried it and couldn't count fast enough. I have shot 5 pins for too long to switch over I think.

I have the MBG FlashPoint HD set up with 7 pins. 20-80. I will be ordering the Ascent with the slider, still debating on how many pins though.

As far as figuring out which pin to use, my system is pretty easy... my 20 is green, my 50 is green and my 80 is green.... Top, Middle and Bottom.. Makes it easy for my brain to register the neccessary pin when the moment of truth has come... With that in mind, anything past 40-50 yards, you should have plenty of time to figure it out anyhow due to the distance the animal is from you. Judging distance under 40 yards is pretty easy for me so I don't stress finding the pin as much as some. Shoot more 3D tourney's if you can and get used to.

ckleeves

WKR
I was kidding about my lack of counting ability, IMO 7 or more pins is just a cluster but some people love it. One of my SP hunter's is a 7 pin that I pulled 2 pins out of so I have the option of adding a sixth pin (80 yds) which I may do one of these days.

My pin setup is kinda the same idea as yours Nick, 20/30 (only 2" different poi so I use the same pin) is green .19, 40 is green .19, 50 is red .19 and 60 and 70 are both green .10

I have shot this setup for a few years and love it, But I'm not a real long range archer and won't shoot at game past 60 these days anyway. If I wanted to shoot further I would probably use a 3 pin slider.

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have my pins numbered on all my sights. It is a quick reference guide and I would rather have the pin there and not have to worry about taking the time needed to adjust my sight. This can make a difference at times from having a shot to not having one. Never had to count pins or ever felt like it was a cluster. It's been working for me for years! ;) The other reason I like having the pins when I need them is because most of my shots while stalking are within the 80 yard range and not having to adjust when little movement is crucial is a must.

attachment.php

Last edited:
The only thing I regret with my set-up is not getting every pin but the top one in .10.... I did my 20, 30, 40 and 50 in .19 and then the rest in .10. The next one will have them all as .10

reedjj

FNG
The only thing I regret with my set-up is not getting every pin but the top one in .10.... I did my 20, 30, 40 and 50 in .19 and then the rest in .10. The next one will have them all as .10

Same thing here. I think I would like the .10 better on all pins. I have my axcel armortech set up the same way. 20, 30, 40 and 50 in .19 then 60, 70, and 80 at .10 but I think the .10 allows me to be more accurate at all yardages.

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
Same thing here. I think I would like the .10 better on all pins. I have my axcel armortech set up the same way. 20, 30, 40 and 50 in .19 then 60, 70, and 80 at .10 but I think the .10 allows me to be more accurate at all yardages.

I keep my shorter range pins in .19 because they gather more light, and they are the ones I'm most likely to use in dark timber or low light situations. My bottom two pins would probably only be used in an open area where light wouldn't be as much of a problem.