What would you chose if you had a choice.

chas

Lil-Rokslider
If you had to chose one "Big ticket item" which one would it be and why? I'm heading to WY for an DYI elk and mule deer hunt. Staying in a wall tent, horses bringing use in, leaving, then returning in ten days. Clothing is dialed in, gun is heavy but accurate beyond my skill level. and boots are in good shape. These are on my list but can only get one. (I hope)

1. Vortex Razor HD 65 - 16-46X (Currently don't have a spotting scope.
2. Exo or Stone Glacier Pack. (Currently have an old J104 Eberlestock)
3. New Binos (Currently have a Leupold Cascades)
4. New Scope Leupold VX-6 3x18x44 (Currently have a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x40)

Thanks

Last edited:
Pack. If the Leopolds work your optics should be fine as long as the hunting you're doing doesn't require a spotter. Good pack makes a world of difference.

OP
chas

chas

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies. Good advice.

Vids

WKR
I'll buck the trend. :)

If your pack works fine for you, binos are one of my most critical pieces of gear. I am constantly using them. I don't know much about the existing brands/models you say you already have or their condition though. I would decide between pack and binos as to which one you could live without replacing.

I'll also add that unless you are hunting really open country, the binos are more important than a spotting scope. The places I've hunted in CO have a lot of dark timber so I rarely carry my spotting scope while hunting.

Manosteel

WKR
Pack, lots of guides and hunters use what most consider sub standard optics with great success, boots would come first but that's not listed.

gmajor

WKR
I'll buck the trend. :)

If your pack works fine for you, binos are one of my most critical pieces of gear. I am constantly using them. I don't know much about the existing brands/models you say you already have or their condition though. I would decide between pack and binos as to which one you could live without replacing.

I'll also add that unless you are hunting really open country, the binos are more important than a spotting scope. The places I've hunted in CO have a lot of dark timber so I rarely carry my spotting scope while hunting.

Good stuff here.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Binos then pack".........I have credited my geovids to help me get several elk over the last ten years and used several packs. I am constantly using the binos and never looked back when I bought them.

I'm going Binos, pack, spotting scope, then rifle scope.

Your current rifle scope is fine, your pack is plenty doable, and spotting scopes are overrated for most hunts imho.

For the price of the spotter you could buy a new pack and a serious pair of binocs.

TRIPLE

Lil-Rokslider
That pack you have will work fine especially when empty........which it may likely be if you can't spot an animal to shoot. Always go for optics! The rub marks and sore back will be gone in a week. A high quality pack is wonderful, but they don't kill the deer (or elk).

patebon

FNG
Pack for sure.
g.png