What Would you buy 6.5 creedmoor or 6.5 prc- strictly for white tails In the south-600 -700 yds shots tops

What would you go with for strictly whitetails in the Deep South
Max range possibly 600-700 yds tops

Any and all opinions welcomed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you reload the PRC
If OTC ammo the CM

Boxed PRC is showing up more but its super expensive were as the CM has been readily available and half the price were I am.

chicoredneck

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you want to shoot past 500 yards. If so, the PRC will give you better performance in the wind. Under 500 yards I don’t think there is enough difference to matter him the field.

Jvick23

FNG
I have both but have only killed with the CM. With that said if you do get the CM I do not recommend the hornady 143 eldx. It kills but leaves very little to no blood at all. Will be my first season with the PRC. Good luck in your decision.

deep south you'll rarely shoot over 300 yards, unless on a power line..... Tikka 7mm-08 thank me later.

Bergara

FNG
I have both but have only killed with the CM. With that said if you do get the CM I do not recommend the hornady 143 eldx. It kills but leaves very little to no blood at all. Will be my first season with the PRC. Good luck in your decision.

The dudes killing a whitetail deer. Not an elephant. It will leave a blood trail if you hit vitals. Not much blood is running through a does rump meat. That being said, shot placement is key with any caliber all the way down to a .22 LR. if such a person used it right. To the OP, it’s whatever you can shoot more accurately at this point. Both are fatal rounds.

Bergara

FNG

First thought here: do you have to be 600-700 yards out from the deer? Can you move closer? I wouldn’t be poking at anything other than varmints at that distance, let alone a game that shouldn’t be left wounded running way out of sight due to your distance away and dying. So that’s maybe my first recommendation, learn how to get closer to a deer.

Reactions: OMB
The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
First thought here: do you have to be 600-700 yards out from the deer? Can you move closer? I wouldn’t be poking at anything other than varmints at that distance, let alone a game that shouldn’t be left wounded running way out of sight due to your distance away and dying. So that’s maybe my first recommendation, learn how to get closer to a deer.

If he's hunting deer like a lot of people do, it's hard to do if/when you're hunting from a blind or a tree stand.

Factory CM ammo is around $40-$45/box while PRC is $60-70 if you can find it. If you only shoot a box or two a year, grab the PRC for the added velocity.

Jvick23

FNG
The dudes killing a whitetail deer. Not an elephant. It will leave a blood trail if you hit vitals. Not much blood is running through a does rump meat. That being said, shot placement is key with any caliber all the way down to a .22 LR. if such a person used it right. To the OP, it’s whatever you can shoot more accurately at this point. Both are fatal rounds.

Out of the 20 or so whitetails that I have shot with the CM it has KILLED all of them. Which I stated. None of which were shot in the rump. Lol. All in the shoulder or right behind. Of the ones that ran after the shot, 0 of mine left a blood trail that was easy to follow. One particular buck was shot at 276 yards dead in the shoulder. Dropped the buck. Got to the deer and could not see a entrance or exit wound anywhere until I caped him out. Pin hole entrance and exit. Not a speck of blood. Not what I like in a deer bullet but to each his own. I will continue using the CM but definitely will be changing bullets for my preference.

fmyth

WKR
If he's hunting deer like a lot of people do, it's hard to do if/when you're hunting from a blind or a tree stand.

Factory CM ammo is around $40-$45/box while PRC is $60-70 if you can find it. If you only shoot a box or two a year, grab the PRC for the added velocity.
Anyone that wants to shoot deer at 700 yards should plan to shoot more than a "box or two a year".

JustBen

FNG
The CM doesn't have a lot of extra energy at that range; shot placement is going to be the most influential part of the whole equation. While it can be done with the CM, I feel the PRC is a better choice for these longer range shots if one is insistent on taking them.

Rich M

WKR
It seems like a want. Nothing wrong with that.

Most guys who shoot longer ranges tend to know their guns and what they want/need.

Frazier92

FNG
If you reload the PRC
If OTC ammo the CM

Boxed PRC is showing up more but its super expensive were as the CM has been readily available and half the price were I am.
I second this. I just picked up a Tikka 6.5 PRC off of Gunjoker at a good price. 6.5 CM is at $1.04 cheapest on ammoseek. 6.5 PRC is .40-.50 more expensive. I spent over $2 a round to sight in the scope with local ammo.

I'd also check and see if you can find the ammo locally. I had trouble here in the midwest. Good luck with whichever you go with!

OMB

WKR

Creedmoor is pretty plentiful on the shelves again in most loads, but I'm assuming if you're shooting that kind of range on whitetails, you're reloading because you're shooting a lot, so it shouldn't matter.

I guess to reiterate, where on earth east of the Mississippi, or even anywhere on the continent, are you hunting that a 600-700 yard shot is something you're considering on whitetails?