what was your backpack last season?

Switched from an '14 EXO 5500 to a Mountain Rambler on a UL frame + Guide Lid after archery season. Two mods and it has no slop (even empty) and I can go a week out of it with no external pod and without putting gear in the meat shelf (if I don't have to haul water). My favorite feature is still the meat shelf, loads in under a minute and tight as a straitjacket. Love the scabbard too, I despise having my gun strapped to the outside.

Stone Glacier Solo

636613ee8a3b494ff9caf9376f804e8f.jpg

Hind quarter, backstraps, all butchering tools, Stihl 026

On a somewhat related note, I've found that a 20" bar slides nicely between the frame and pack bag of a Stone Glacier. Used it that way several times to pack a saw in someplace remote.

gmajor

WKR
SG Solo with Access bag. I've started to put all my food in the access bag, then when we drop a spike camp I unclip the access and just keep that in camp/hang it as my food bag. It's pretty rad, especially because I have the hardest time organizing food.

Shotgun

FNG
Kifaru new duplex with the DT1, guide lid, and grab it. Hauled a lot of meat this season and absolutely love that pack.

Xtreme007

WKR
I like how you set that up ;)

It has worked out good for me so far. If I remember right I think you sent me pics of your setup that is similar.
Several memebers on here gave me advice and help since I was new to Kifaru.

Thanks to all that helped out

I used the kifaru bikini frame and kuiu ultra 6000 bag & lid. very light, not as expensive as all kifaru and very durable. No complaints.

Badlands 2800. For this year I purchased a High camp 7000 with the guide lid. Buying the frame soon. Can't wait.

CA Karen

Lil-Rokslider
SG Sky 5100, been a good pack so far, but I have only packed out 1 cow elk with it so far in the 2 years I have used it. Great for backpacking in and then compressing down for a day pack.

slick

WKR
SG Sky 7400 & Serac. Their largest and smallest bag. Buddy has a solo and that thing works amazing as a day pack.

I had MR before the SG. Hoping to put a longbow (Pintler) on the krux frame-if MR will sell bags only. If not I'll pick up a solo.

Acecook

Lil-Rokslider
Ran a Kuiu 5000 season before last. Last season I bounced back and forth between a kifaru dt1 with guide lid and various pockets and a 2014 Exo 3500. While I'm a fan of the kifaru I think I'm an exo man from here on out. It just seemed to fit my body type really well. I'm going to make a run at a new exo 5500 this year. I did use the Kuiu 1850 with just the suspension this past year for day trip spot and stalk archery antelope hunting and I liked that.

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member

I used the new Mystery Ranch Metcalf with the Guide Light frame. It handled two elk, a moose and a mule deer. A few of the loads were in the 115 pound range and it handled them all as well or better than any pack I've ever used....

Last edited: