What tree stand?

kamcgraw

Lil-Rokslider
Lone Wolf gets my vote. Whether it be a climber or hang on. They are lightweight, very quiet, and comforatable enough. I realized how quiet they are when this year I left mine hang at the base of a tree and had to borrow my buddy's summit. I felt like I was banging pots and pans with that thing compared to my lone wolf. I also like being able to just put a strap around the tree with a hook on it(at the height where your stand hangs) and take my hang on with me when I leave each time. Its so lightweight you dont even notice it on your back walking to the stand and using that hook system, they are a breeze to hang. They are expensive, but worth it IMO.

Lone Wolf Assault with 3 or 4 of the Lone Wolf sticks is a pretty good setup. Probably would want their comfort seat, or a different companies equivalent for the comfort aspect since you are sitting so long. It's light, quiet, easy to set up, and easy to pack.

marc

Lil-Rokslider
I would also suggest a lone wolf Alpha with steps. I like the Alpha over the Assault for comfort and they go up so easily I never leave mine in the tree. A good hand on with steps will allow you to hunt out of almost any tree where you have to hunt the right tree for a climber.

JWP58

WKR
Glad I saw this so I didn't make a duplicate. I plan on using a tree stand next yr aswell. I just hope I can find a tree that doesn't have beetle rot..

For people that put them up a week or two before the season, do you just take a few of the lower steps with you to keep the stand from "wandering away"? Honestly if I'm not using it, I wouldn't care if someone else did, I just don't want them to steal it.

Lawnboi

WKR
Glad I saw this so I didn't make a duplicate. I plan on using a tree stand next yr aswell. I just hope I can find a tree that doesn't have beetle rot..

For people that put them up a week or two before the season, do you just take a few of the lower steps with you to keep the stand from "wandering away"? Honestly if I'm not using it, I wouldn't care if someone else did, I just don't want them to steal it.

If it's in the tree, at any height, with or without the first few steps, with or without locks.... Your asking for it to get stolen. I'll always pack my nice expensive stands in and out, not worth having my day ruined and losing all that money.

If seen trees cut down, miles into swamp, so a guy could steal a stand. And even better wait for opening morning, you get to your stand and there's joe bob sitting in it already. Happens every year

LaHunter

WKR
I would recommend a hang on type stand. I have been using a gorilla brand for the past several years and it is rock solid. It has a fairly large platform and a comfortable seat that can be folded up out of the way if you want to stand up. It is very quiet too, no squeaks when you shift your weight. It is made of steel and is in the 18-20 lbs range. I weigh about 205 lbs and it is plenty strong for me. Climbing sticks are more weight and may require 2 trips or a partner for the pack in, but you will be glad you have them in place once hunting season rolls around. Bad thing with a climber is you have to trim the tree and remove all of your cover. Also, they are not as silent as a hang on type. Just be careful, there are a lot of injuries from falls every year. Many falls happen on the climb up / down and stepping onto or off the stand.

OP
W

whitingja

WKR
Thanks for the responses, has really pointed me in the right direction. Question though. I was up hunting last year and saw a tree stand chained in a pine tree. There were branches and limbs all the way up the tree. I couldn't figure out how he got up in the stand. Had great cover with all the limbs. What was his secret to getting up there? Also, isn't it illegal to leave your treestand up all year, atleast I thought it was in Wyoming?

Lawnboi

WKR
Legalities vary state to state so your best bet is to check where your going.

Could be that the guy brought in climbing sticks to get up the tree. A few sticks and a hang on stand will get you up about any tree.

Lawnboi

WKR
Yea lone wolf makes good sticks, lots of other brands out there. IMO lone wolf is the most pack able and quiet though.

You didn't say what type of trees your going up? That will dictate wether a climbing stand will work or not.

If you want something that will get you up any tree, be light pack able and quiet you can't go wrong with a lone wolf hang on and 4 of their sticks.

With lone wolf your getting a product you can use for years where as some of the cheaper brands are almost disposable.

marc

Lil-Rokslider
Yes carry a rope. I use a cheap nylon clothes line from the dollar tree. I put my extra layers between my string and lower limb so I can dress in stand after I cool off. I would suggest a good bow holder as well, you will not move around near as much in the tree if you are not holding the bow.

I bet that guy was climbing bracnes to that stand, DO NOT do that, branches break! The only time I fell from a tree was when the branch I was holding broke, it was still in my hand when I got up too!

OP
W

whitingja

WKR
Thanks guys. Hopefully this investment pays off. Seems like I walk around all day long looking for that big bull, and come back to the wallow and see new tracks. Hunt a little smarter I guess.