What to upgrade first: boots or backpack?

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
I day hunted BC mountains from base camps with shit boots and a cheap cableas alaskan frame successfully for allot of years.

After my first real backpack trip, it was an obvious choice for me.

100% BOOTS. No question.

Did 4 more backpack hunts (3 goat, one griz) and couple solo elk hunts with that o'l external frame pack before I had to scratch the itch to upgrade it.

Last edited:

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
You wouldn’t believe the backpacks we used to haul meat out of the back country with. You 100% don’t need a $1,000 backpack. Without good footwear, that’s been tried and tested for your specific feet, you’re going nowhere.

IMG_5980.jpeg

IMG_5981.jpeg

Read1t48

WKR
Boots. Boots will get you to the elk.
Packs are important but I could pack an elk quarter out in a baby carrier - with good boots, of course.

775mud

FNG
I'm hoping to do a backpack archery elk hunt in 2024 and I'm looking to upgrade either my boots or my backpack. Probably won't have the budget to do both. Right now I have a 70L Gregory backpacking pack and a pair of Keen hiking boots that tend to give me hotspots after 15-20 miles. I would be looking to get into either an Exo pack or a pair of nice boots (kennetrek, schnee's, crispi, etc.).

If I can only upgrade one before the hunt, which should I go with? I'm leaning towards boots, as the backpack won't make much of a difference unless I actually kill an elk. But if I were to get an elk, packing it out in a standard backpacking pack could be much more inconvenient than dealing with the hotspots. Any advice is appreciated!
Boots are definitely the best upgrade you can do. If you can also try on and see what actually works for your feet that is an other good thing to do. Stores like Sportsmans warehouse and Scheels have a pretty lenient return policies. for me I've had the best luck with Schnee's. I like the stiffer shank boots they make. I have run kennetreks, Crispi, Hanwag and Zamberland. By far my favorite is the Schnee's. I have gotten the most durability and comfort out of the Schnee Granite Pro boot.

Walthers

FNG
Boots. Without boots that fit correctly you can have whatever pack you want. Boots can be cheap or expensive, just matters that they fit and feel good for you. Hike/train In boots is the only way to know. I’ve packed animals out in bad boots and bad packs. Bad boots are the worst. Period.

coyote_out

Lil-Rokslider
Boots. Don’t feel like you have to buy the $400+ boots and that they are going to be amazing. After hunting in kenetreks, crispis, and Schnees, I typically prefer to hunt in Salomon Quests or Salewas. Look for something that matches your foot shape and your hunting style.

brother hunted with an Osprey for many years. I hunted with a crappy pair of Keens for 3 years. 1st two were ok, 3rd year wrecked my feet, badly, I had a great pack but would have gladly traded it for some good boots that third year.... Ive got Crispi's now, but Salomons served me well for several years after that and you can find them on sale a lot.

well_known_rokslider

Lil-Rokslider
While I agree, feet first, I don't think it's as black and white as most of these comments are making it. My first elk hunt was done entirely in a pair of $60 cabelas low hikers, but that was possible because they were comfortable, and gave zero issues to me personally. Sure I eventually saved up for a pair of more "premium" boots, but I absolutely don't regret my decision to use my cheaper boots that year and put my first big dollar purchase towards a good pack. Throughout training and on hunts, whether 40lbs or 80, I have seen guys with $400 treads completely fall apart under a pack that did not properly place weight on the hips where it belongs.

So I'd say practice with your pack, hike around up and down hills with 80lb. Sure you'll be tired, but if you're (back) pain free, buy the boots. If you can't carry 40lbs without your shoulders getting wrecked and your back stopping you, get a pair of boots that will hold you over or a better pair of socks, etc and put the money towards the pack.

coyote_out

Lil-Rokslider
Finding boots that work for you could take some trial and error. It may be helpful to understand what your budget is. If I could save 40$ per month toward this endeavor i could get a used frame pack pretty easy. And then find some clearance boots that fit my foot. Get the boots first so I could break them in. I am better off than where you started for under $300.

Attachments

• IMG_3052.jpg
    IMG_3052.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3054.png
    IMG_3054.png
    436.9 KB · Views: 4

AARONB

FNG
Those boot brands you mentioned all produce good boots and you would probably be happy with any model they make, but don't feel like you need to spend $300-500 on a pair boots to go elk hunting. I've seen more pairs $100-200 "hunting" and "hiking" boots in the mountains than "high" quality boots and the hunters aren't complaining about there feet. I would stick to this lower price range for boots, make sure they have good tread and fit my feet well, use good socks, and get a nice pack.