What sidearm do you carry in lower 48 grizz country ??

62flint

FNG
S&W model 69 44mag 4inch barrel. Its light handy but only holds 5 shots, I figure if I get off 5 and it aint over with I am done no matter how many more bullets I have.

Wingshooter

Lil-Rokslider
Another Glock 20 in the Kenai chest rig for me. I shoot the 200 grain Underwood hardcast bullets. I have yet to use those rounds on anything but targets.

TheGDog

WKR
Not that I have Grizz country to go into here, but carry the G29 10mm Staggered stacked with Hornady Handgun Hunter MonoFlex 135gr and Underwood Lehigh Xtreme Penetrators 140gr. Razco holster that hang under my bino harness. I really like this setup out there. Very unobstrusive. Except sometimes when you're on a sit and you have your rifles buttstock resting on your hip of the ground beside you, sometimes you can move and it can knock up against the back of the polymer grip. When that happens I just remember to give the holster and bino harness a lil push to nudge it over the otherway a smidge to create clearance while on the sit.

I literally managed to hit the bullseye at 25yds at the indoor range! So me likey!

I would recommend using ammo that's more flash-suppressed, than the range ammo you see in this photo.

Attachments

• 261728915_588459765580465_537089908260177367_n.jpg
    261728915_588459765580465_537089908260177367_n.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Rob762

FNG
I ran a Glock 20 with a Surefire loaded with buff bore, but I’m at the point where I like carrying my .44 Mag 629, also Buffalo bore. Best gun for this is always gonna be which one you practice with, loaded with solid lead bullets. Ran the Glock in a tier 1 mid rise level 3 retention holster. The wheel gun is in a dropped Diamond D hip holster. Not a fan of chest holsters, just personally. I carry on my hip the other 80% of my time that isn’t hunting and I don’t want to change my mechanics based on a situation where I’m far less likely to draw my handgun

fmyth

WKR
I ran a Glock 20 with a Surefire loaded with buff bore, but I’m at the point where I like carrying my .44 Mag 629, also Buffalo bore. Best gun for this is always gonna be which one you practice with, loaded with solid lead bullets. Ran the Glock in a tier 1 mid rise level 3 retention holster. The wheel gun is in a dropped Diamond D hip holster. Not a fan of chest holsters, just personally. I carry on my hip the other 80% of my time that isn’t hunting and I don’t want to change my mechanics based on a situation where I’m far less likely to draw my handgun
Why do you prefer the Buffalo Bore ammo loaded with solid lead vs. their Hard Cast or Mono Metal bullets that they recommend for bear defense? Everything I have read indicates that the Hard Cast and Mono Metal bullets penetrate deeper than solid lead.

Rob762

FNG
Why do you prefer the Buffalo Bore ammo loaded with solid lead vs. their Hard Cast or Mono Metal bullets that they recommend for bear defense? Everything I have read indicates that the Hard Cast and Mono Metal bullets penetrate deeper than solid lead.
My misspeak, they are both the hard cast lead bullets. The 10mm was loaded with the “outdoorsman flat nose hard cast”
In this case, I chose it over the mono metal rounds due to the increased muzzle energy. 600 ft/lbs vs 700 ft/lbs
The .44 is a SW, which is specifically named by BB as unable to use their dangerous game loads, and as far as energy per round, they’re near equal in terms of muzzle energy and velocity.

Rambucsabillbul

Lil-Rokslider
A Jack knife, closed of coarse in one of your pockets.
Blade no longer than 2.5 inches.
Rules for Canada. Go figure 😜

Elkhntr08

WKR
Have an old 1911, we’ve been around several blocks together. In the process of building a Glock 20 now. See how that one turns out.

Kenai_dtracker

Lil-Rokslider
The same that I use for EDC, Glock 23, except in the woods I use Underwood 200gr hardcast. With a pack, I just attached to my pack hip belt, left side.

AkRyan

WKR
Anything 9mm or better that you can put multiple hits on target when under extreme distress!
If it's made out of titanium and says magnum you got suckered.
If it's a 460 and you can only handle shooting ot one time or can't shoot it singled handed you got suckered.
If it's a 3in 357mag a 9mm+p will do everything it does.

Overdrive

WKR
S&W MP 2.0 10mm, 200gr Underwood hardcast, hip holster.

Don't have Grizz where I hunt and guide but have plenty of Blackie's, Mtn Lion and Wolves. Over the year's only had one stand off with a Mtn Lion at 30 yards that I actually pulled out the pistol (9mm that time) Black bears usually just take off as soon as they see a person.

Tdonat

FNG
I carry a Glock 29 with an extended mag (15rd)
Buffalo bore
Ivory holster that’s on the waist belt of my pack

TheHammer

WKR
I’ve carried several different rigs. The latest setup I run is a xds 45 w/4” barrel, extended mag and night sights. It has an upgraded grip and trigger kit as mentioned before one hand shots are essential. In an Alaskan guide holster I have rigged horizontally to mount on my offside shoulder strap on my pack. I run altered 230 hard cast and browning x points. The correct gun to use is the one that fits your hand the best where you can be the most accurate. Most big caliber rigs, by shot 2 or 3 it has recoiled out of the individuals grip and the shots are rarely accurate.