What sidearm do you carry in lower 48 grizz country ??

Be specific !
What sidearm do you carry in the lower 48 grizz country?
Ammo or load used?
What holster?

Are you a guide, outfitter or camp hand?
S&W M&P 2.0 10mm shooting a 190 grn. Mono Metal bear load. I carry it on my chest harness in a marsupial rig large auto holster. I've carried several different guns but I like this the best so far for weight, accuracy, and capacity.

16Racing

FNG
Smith and wesson 10mm with vortex red dot and hard nose hunting ammo. Doesn't really matter the gun as much as being able to use it hopefully I never have to!

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
So I’ll be heading out to Yellowstone for the first time this year and have been debating which pistol to take with me. I have a full-size 9mm, a full size .45 and I can borrow a 10mm Glock or 10mm 1911 neither of which I’ve really shot much.

My initial thoughts are to take the 9mm, I shoot it very well and I can get some deep penetrating ammo for it in the event that I do have to use it. Was also planning on grabbing some bear spray as well. Ideally I won’t have to use either but since I’ve never been in grizzly country before I figure it’s a good idea to come at least somewhat prepared.

f16jack

WKR
44 mag revolver (S & W 629) with Hunters Supply Hard Cast 300 grain bullets (product 912526). Midway carries the bullets.
9mm and 40 is too small.
Only revolvers. Two years ago a fellow hunter looked at his 9mm semi only to discover his clip had fallen out while riding. He had 1 shot avail all hunt.
I am a hunter. Not a guide, not an outfitter.
We hunt outside of Yellowstone with grizzly sightings most days.

Note pistol and bear spray on hip.

0922221158.jpg

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
All over Montana in various holsters:
Hardcast Handloads or XTP

Glock 29
Glock 20 (Most Often)
Glock 41 10mm Conversion (5”)
S&W Mountain Gun (.41, .44, .45 Colt)
1911 .460 Rowand Conversion
or
Anything else I am currently carrying

Last edited:
45 lc, both new model and old model depending on the day, 13.3 grains unique, 225 grain - 3/4 jacket hollow point hornaday, I make my own holsters out of 10oz latigo leather.

Accurate, good penetration, finishes elk off quickly. Have killed a lot of grouse as a bonus. Been a fixture since 69.

Was issued a Rem 1911 at work but turned it back in after a year. Didn't like the balance and it shot a little high and off to the right. I have been able to shoot parachord at 30 yds with the Rugers.

329 PD, 275 gr. LBT WFN loaded to 1050 fps. Woods carry load year round whether hunting or not.

Reactions: dla

fatrascal

WKR
Springfield 10mm XDM elite 3.8" barrel compact pistol. Buffalo Bore 220 grain hardcast. Razco kydex holster on Kifaru hipbelt and Alaskan Guide bino pack holster. I don't have bears here in Northern Nevada but have plans to hunt Northern Idaho. I am a complete ameture when it comes to pistols but did tons of internet research which pointed me to my choices. Use 9mm in Nevada as insurance against Lions and two legged hooligans while backpack hunting.
Fatrascal20220626_130238.jpg
20220424_083934.jpg

grainhog

FNG
I have a Ruger Super Redhawk .44 mag 2.75" barrel with big fat HSM bear loads of some kind in it. It is obscenely, absurdly heavy and as a result I rarely carry it and may end up selling it.

I also have a Sig 329 9mm and have often considered carrying it in griz country instead. The convention seems to be that "a pistol will just make em mad if it don't kill em", yet most of the first or second hand anecdotes I've heard are of the sounds or sting or surprise of a pistol descalating/redirecting a charge or bluff charge. I really dunno. I only carry spray unless I'm in the gnar gnar grilled cheese bear country. Then it mostly just helps me fall asleep in my tent. *this is not professional financial advice*

If I’m carrying a pistol it’s a Glock 20sf stoked with 200 gr underwood hardcast. Streamlight TL1HL in a gunfighters in chest harness. If I’m nowhere near grizzly bears I will carry a shield with extreme penetrators or gold dots.

ScottinPA

WKR
Currently, Ruger Alaskan in 454 carried in a Marsupial Gear hip belt holster. Currently considering switching to 10mm which is how I found this thread.

Weldor

WKR
Springfield 5.25 10mm pmc 180 gr ball. Custom leather Pancake.