Kowa TSN 88 spotter vs Meopta S2 82, which would you buy and why. Thanks for the input.

Mosski

FNG
Looking to pick one of these up and would love some input. Will mostly see it's use in backpacking mule deer and elk hunts. I had a Kowa 77 and switched it for a Swaro STS 65 but am wanting something with a little more horsepower.

twall13

WKR
I own a Kowa 88, my brother owns a Meopta. I haven't looked through his scope but the other day at the range mine was set up and he was spotting my hits. Afterwards he commented how much better the image was through my Kowa and how disappointed he was in his Meopta. Not much of a test or comparison but it's one data point I guess.

Again, I haven't looked through a Meopta but have heard good things about them in general until my brother expressed his disappointment. I can say that the Kowa is a very impressive scope. I love that thing. It's heavy but I still packed it on my mule deer hunt this year and plan to do it again next year.

Here's a couple images through the Kowa from this season. I know there are a lot of variables that go into image quality through a spotter so take it with a grain of salt but I do enjoy the scope.
11efd5e2556d93451bbcbb8e38f4c91a.jpg
fb899affea5023d2a107d3fbd0125f2d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

OP
Mosski

Mosski

FNG
I own a Kowa 88, my brother owns a Meopta. I haven't looked through his scope but the other day at the range mine was set up and he was spotting my hits. Afterwards he commented how much better the image was through my Kowa and how disappointed he was in his Meopta. Not much of a test or comparison but it's one data point I guess.

Again, I haven't looked through a Meopta but have heard good things about them in general until my brother expressed his disappointment. I can say that the Kowa is a very impressive scope. I love that thing. It's heavy but I still packed it on my mule deer hunt this year and plan to do it again next year.

Here's a couple images through the Kowa from this season. I know there are a lot of variables that go into image quality through a spotter so take it with a grain of salt but I do enjoy the scope.
11efd5e2556d93451bbcbb8e38f4c91a.jpg
fb899affea5023d2a107d3fbd0125f2d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Copy, those pictures look great!

4th_point

WKR
I would consider whether 60x is enough or if you need 70x plus. I regularly use 75x and would not want to be limited to 60x. If so, I would likely use a 60-65mm scope.

A big scope, to me, should handle higher magnifications. That would mean the 20-70x EP with the S2 or the 1.6x extender on the 88.

The S2 seems to have a really good reputation for correction. Not sure about the 88. The 880 seemed hit or miss with some real duds escaping.

OP
Mosski

Mosski

FNG
I would consider whether 60x is enough or if you need 70x plus. I regularly use 75x and would not want to be limited to 60x. If so, I would likely use a 60-65mm scope.

A big scope, to me, should handle higher magnifications. That would mean the 20-70x EP with the S2 or the 1.6x extender on the 88.

The S2 seems to have a really good reputation for correction. Not sure about the 88. The 880 seemed hit or miss with some real duds escaping.
What do you mean by correction?

4th_point

WKR
What do you mean by correction?
I'm not an optical engineer or optician, but the simplest way for me to think about it is the fact that the instrument needs to manipulate light. Could be a binocular, spotting scope, rifle scope, etc. A well corrected scope has fewer aberrations compared to a poorly corrected scope. It has to due with how well the design and QC are executed to minimize aberrations.

I’ve run the meopta for a few years now, also have a buddy with a kowa 77. I think if you can get into the meopta on sale it’s a good buy. The kowa does provide a better image, but the meopta has never prevented me from identifying anything at range, only benefit to better glass would be added clarity. I will say the last 10x of magnification, maybe less does diminish picture quality a little bit. You also get more darkening around the exterior of the image like you would on some rifle scopes as well. I like to run it 10x off max zoom and seems to hold it’s own for what I need it for.

That being said the kowa 66 is something I’d like to try and most likely replace it with.

w.travis

FNG
One can't just say Meopta scope without clarifying the Meopro or Meostar. They are 2 completely different animals.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The birders are bigger optic snobs than hunters. Check out what they say about the Kowa…

I would not buy anything but the Kowa because of optical quality and the weight bonus. Flourite crystal weighs less than glass.

w.travis

FNG
I asked about the S2 82, which should indicate the meostar. The meopro is just the 80 HD
"Should" i agree, but the guy saying his brother said kowa was much better said himself he didn't know which meopta. Some people think the brand is all that matters and literally don't realize different models have major differences.

JGRaider

WKR
I actually owned the Kowa 884 and the Meopta S2 at the same time, and had them side by side many times in the field hunting. It's really splitting hairs IME to determine which one is better. I did wind up preferring the S2 simply because it was a touch sharper and brighter at the highest magnifications. Can't go wrong with either IMO, and I'd pick the one you get the best deal on.

OP
Mosski

Mosski

FNG
I actually owned the Kowa 884 and the Meopta S2 at the same time, and had them side by side many times in the field hunting. It's really splitting hairs IME to determine which one is better. I did wind up preferring the S2 simply because it was a touch sharper and brighter at the highest magnifications. Can't go wrong with either IMO, and I'd pick the one you get the best deal on.
Thanks for this!

OP
Mosski

Mosski

FNG
Which eye piece did you rock on the meopta

4th_point

WKR
If I recall correctly, the 80 HD isn't even made by Meopta but outsourced. Not that it can't be a good scope.

Just putting that out there for anyone that may stumble upon this thread in the future. And I realize that the OP is considering the S2 and not the 80 HD.