What kind of accuracy do you shoot for with hunting ammo?

MOwhitetail

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve started working on a new load for my 300 win mag since H1000 has become nonexistent. My previous load with 212 gr ELD-X shot under 1/2” groups at 100 but it took a lot of work to get that good. I don’t exactly love shooting this rifle since it is so light and I don’t wanna have to shoot 100 rounds just to work up a load. What kind of accuracy do you guys expect out of rifles that you hunt with out to 500 yards?

I hunt with a Rem 700 in 30-06, 185 berger vld, H4350. I expect .5” groups at 200yd with my current loads unless I create user error.

OP
M

MOwhitetail

Lil-Rokslider
Doesn’t that seem unnecessary though? I’m not shooting any competitions, just trying to kill animals. If the vitals on even the smallest animals are 8” I feel like moa should be enough.

On another note, how do the Bergers perform in an animal? I’ve heard wonderful things about how they shoot but never heard anyhung about expansion or penetration.

RBHunter

WKR
Same 1/2" or less. My typical practice shooting at the range can go to 600 yards. Where I can accurately shoot paper or a painted steel. If every trip out I can stay in that 1/2 or better I'm happy. I dont bench shoot. It's all prone, bipods or tripod. As I cannot carry a bench whyll hunting

RBHunter

WKR
Aim small miss small.
All i shoot is bergers in 6.5 CM. And 300 WM. Love them. VLD hunting. Elk, deer and lops. 50-650 and perform great!

archp625

WKR
I expect the same MOA group at 600 as I do at 100. I want to practice further just need more time and room. The brush is getting in my way to go to 800.

Doesn’t that seem unnecessary though? I’m not shooting any competitions, just trying to kill animals. If the vitals on even the smallest animals are 8” I feel like moa should be enough.

On another note, how do the Bergers perform in an animal? I’ve heard wonderful things about how they shoot but never heard anyhung about expansion or penetration.

To each their own. I’m far from a competitive shooter but this combo is doing really well so I expect it to keep doing so with this setup. My dad is more of a perfectionist in accuracy and he shoots barrels out trying for better groups, I just quit while I’m on top. If 1 moa is good enough and you don’t take shots over 3-400 yards then by all means go with it. It’s all mostly dependent on the monkey pulling the trigger anyway.

1 MOA or better is more realistic in real life and will be fine for most... MOST peoples .25-.5 MOA rifles will shoot closer to 1 MOA at least one or two days a week.... 10 shot groups turn A LOT of .25 rifle to 1.25 rifles...

Correct, I guess if we are talking a real kill shot situation then we are talking a one shot group which has no moa. Every situation is different but it really comes down to; can I get a good rest and slow my heart rate enough. Last deer I shot I had to not touch anything on the stock at all except the trigger otherwise i’m sure that shot would have been way off.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m usually happy with anything sub MOA, if I’m bored sometimes I’ll start trying to tweak it but once I’m consistently shooting under an inch I figure that’s good enough for me, I generally don’t shoot at animals past 300yds and never past 500.

I’m usually happy with anything sub MOA, if I’m bored sometimes I’ll start trying to tweak it but once I’m consistently shooting under an inch I figure that’s good enough for me, I generally don’t shoot at animals past 300yds and never past 500.

Ethically I don’t shoot further either, good rule of thumb.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ethically I don’t shoot further either, good rule of thumb.

I practice regularly out to 500 and I feel pretty comfortable there but I’ve never had to actually shoot an animal at that distance. The longest shots I’ve ever made at game we’re on mule deer and elk but those were still in the 400s.

Wrench

WKR
My advice is to go shoot a heap of coyotes at ranges you hope to achieve and go check your work.

I'm lucky enough to have about a zillion acres of yote country out my door and the confidence that inspires makes dropping the hammer on a big target much easier.