What keeps you from hunting OTC California?

What Keeps you from hunting OTC in California?

• Total voters

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
I moved out of Ca 10 years ago. Hunting was the main factor. I can’t imagine living there again.

I’m always skeptical when I hear hunters waxing poetic about how great the hunting is for bear. From what I recall, hound hunters did well, but they were being regulated out as I was leaving. And now there is no hound hunting for bears….

So I looked up the stats: +-1,000 bears killed, 33,000 tags sold, 3% success rate.

Yep, that’s about what I recall….

More power to those of you who make it work!

cmahoney

WKR
I moved out of Ca 10 years ago. Hunting was the main factor. I can’t imagine living there again.

I’m always skeptical when I hear hunters waxing poetic about how great the hunting is for bear. From what I recall, hound hunters did well, but they were being regulated out as I was leaving. And now there is no hound hunting for bears….

So I looked up the stats: +-1,000 bears killed, 33,000 tags sold, 3% success rate.

In my opinion, the bear hunting on public, in the Sierra OTC units is better than the deer hunting. I am certain the success is much higher for guys that really try. I still can’t believe how many deer tags they sell for those units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JStol5

WKR
Born and raised in Southern California, live in Northern California now. Hunted for a few years, primarily here and in Arizona.

People like to complain about California, and I get it. But like others have written on this thread, there is a lot to enjoy about this state. Abundant fishing, bear hunting, upland bird, and deer hunting across the state, if you work hard and get away from roads. Temperate weather year round. Excellent food. Can surf and ski in the same day. Central coast for beautiful country, wine, and slower pace. North of SF is Marin, Sonoma, and Mendocino, some incredible backpacking, mountain biking, and general camping. I have to reconcile the natural splendor of this state with the morons that run it, but it is a nice place to live if you’re not in a city, but boy you pay for it!

It’s very easy to cr*p on California if you’re not from here- and I get it- but way more people than you think in this state are probably similar to a lot of folks on this site.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I really enjoyed my times in N. CA, wine country, redwoods, Shasta, etc. Never hunted there, just have too much on my plate every fall with WA and other states to even consider it. Sounds great though.

WKR

WKR
You wanna know the truth?
And I'm not saying this in a condescending manor but...the guys that know what they are doing, kill stuff every year. And the guys that don't...complain.

Not saying it isn't tough because it is, and the trophy quality isn't great for deer.

I hunt in California - I started building deer points but to me - it’s really not worth it and I dumped them on a guaranteed tag. I grab a local tag for deer, otc archery tag, bear tag and pig tag… I only do this because I don’t get enough tags out of state to be gone all fall . I hunt the three weeks for deer with my dad, I’ll pay a guide for a pig/bear archery hunt, I’ll hunt elk out of state and mule deer out of state also … once I leave - I don’t see myself coming back . Seeing 200-500 people hunting opening day is insane !

Marble

WKR
I live in Cali and really enjoy a lot of hunting year round. Some of the hunting is really great. Most of it isn't.

We have some really good bulls here, some good mule deer with the occasional big boy.

If I didn't hunt here, I couldn't see myself ever purposely trying to hunt in CA. Every other western state is better in every way. CA charges a ridiculous amount for resident fees and they do not manage with the purpose of improving the herd.

But I love in far northern CA. Not the CA everyone always thinks of. The people I live around remind me more of Idaho and Wyoming residents, with similar ways of life and beliefs.

I can say the fishing here is as good as or better than a lot of places.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR

A lot of fudds won’t shoot a bear if they have a deer tag since they don’t want to process and pack out the bear. Hounds kept bears in deep dark canyons
No hounds= more area bears roam

amassi

WKR
I hunt in California - I started building deer points but to me - it’s really not worth it and I dumped them on a guaranteed tag. I grab a local tag for deer, otc archery tag, bear tag and pig tag… I only do this because I don’t get enough tags out of state to be gone all fall . I hunt the three weeks for deer with my dad, I’ll pay a guide for a pig/bear archery hunt, I’ll hunt elk out of state and mule deer out of state also … once I leave - I don’t see myself coming back . Seeing 200-500 people hunting opening day is insane !

Guessing you’ve never seen the pumpkin army in Utah or Colorado .

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
Obviously it doesn’t have the hunting quality of other western states. I wish that would change, but I think those of us that live here accept it for what it is.

On the bright side, I can get a deer tag every year that lets me hunt from the middle of August until the end of October. Bear tag is good from the middle of August until the end of December.

Not everyone feels the same way (and that’s OK), but the best part of hunting for me is being out in the woods and spending time with friends and family. On that front, this state offers me more opportunity close to home than anywhere else.

I have hunted other western states and you run into folks and see plates from different states . Just curious to those that live in California when you guys hunt an opener or popular season is there a presence of NR's around ? I dont ever hear much complaining of all those dam NR's taking our tags/game compared to say wy/mt/co etc. Really wonder if there are many NR's rolling in for hunting? Who knows you guys might be a "sleeper" state ? Better keep a low profile before alk the dam NR's find out . Lol

OP
Trapline

Trapline

FNG
Aside from duck hunting I rarely see any hunters at all. I dont know the exact number but i would have to say CAs’ overall resident hunter participation is very low compared to other states where there is a larger resident participation.

Wags

WKR
I have hunted other western states and you run into folks and see plates from different states . Just curious to those that live in California when you guys hunt an opener or popular season is there a presence of NR's around ? I dont ever hear much complaining of all those dam NR's taking our tags/game compared to say wy/mt/co etc. Really wonder if there are many NR's rolling in for hunting? Who knows you guys might be a "sleeper" state ? Better keep a low profile before alk the dam NR's find out . Lol

Very , very few and those are typically hunting with family that live here.

Our general areas have an incredibly inflated number of tags much like CO OTC elk. So we don't loose much to NRs.

There are 0 NR elk tags & our deer population and size isn't great. Hogs and bears are really what we have a healthy population of and guys don't typically travel far for either. Especially since we can't bait or use dogs for bears.