What jacket for 5-7oz 800+ down?

Maverick1

WKR
Non-hunting brands are going to have more offerings, and typically have more fill per $. Their outer shell nylon materials are likely not going to be "bowhunting quiet" though.

if your ordering from goosefeet gear do not forget to order a 2x fill down balaclava.

I have one of their balaclavas. That thing is a serious head warmer. Also I look ridiculous wearing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ccarter

FNG
I've seen the King's Camp XKG Transition Down Jacket at a local store, and it looks pretty nicely made and lofty. I think it's 5+ oz. of down at about 13-14 oz. It's 800 FP treated down, and looks to be stuffed quite a bit thicker than the SG Grumman to me. I think it goes for about $329.

I've seen the King's Camp XKG Transition Down Jacket at a local store, and it looks pretty nicely made and lofty. I think it's 5+ oz. of down at about 13-14 oz. It's 800 FP treated down, and looks to be stuffed quite a bit thicker than the SG Grumman to me. I think it goes for about $329.
This is on camofire today $209.99 w/ free shipping. Seems like a good deal and a huge plus that claims to also be windproof. I also like the double chest pockets, drawstring waist and hood, and it packs down fairly small.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a 10 year old Montbell Alpine Light parka (5 oz fill/13 oz weight) that is still going strong; they also have a "plain" Alpine parka that is 7 oz/16 oz if you want warmer, both are 800 fill

eamyrick

WKR
I have a 10 year old Montbell Alpine Light parka (5 oz fill/13 oz weight) that is still going strong; they also have a "plain" Alpine parka that is 7 oz/16 oz if you want warmer, both are 800 fill
With a base layer how cold do you think you could sit in and glass with the Alpine Light?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
With a base layer how cold do you think you could sit in and glass with the Alpine Light?

With no wind and just a base layer (I always have some sort of mid-layer with and a windhshirt) probably teen-ish with a mid-layer and a windshirt, probably 0-ish

When it gets near zero, it's usually my feet that give up first :)

I'll use the Alpine Light parka on the majority of my winter backpacking trips, although I tend not to be sitting around a lot- used setting up camp, eating supper, breakfast, breaking camp and stops for lunch.

Clarktar

WKR
It is time to replace my First Lite Uncompahgre jacket.

I am looking for what I would call a "medium" insulated jacket for daily wear and to be my puffy in archery season. I currently have a Big Agnes down sweater that has about 3.5oz of 850+ down, and the Under Armour Alpine Ops Parka.

If I could find a down jacket that is semi-durable with 5-7oz of 800+ down and around 13-17oz total, I would be very happy.

Is Stone Glacier Grumman and Kuiu Ultra down all of my choices?
I just started using the Skre Ptarmigan but I'm pretty impressed so far. Only had it a few days so my experience across a range of temperatures is non existent. It's been mid 30s here and drizzly. I've worn it around town, dog walks etc. The cut really good.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

eamyrick

WKR
With no wind and just a base layer (I always have some sort of mid-layer with and a windhshirt) probably teen-ish with a mid-layer and a windshirt, probably 0-ish

When it gets near zero, it's usually my feet that give up first :)

I'll use the Alpine Light parka on the majority of my winter backpacking trips, although I tend not to be sitting around a lot- used setting up camp, eating supper, breakfast, breaking camp and stops for lunch.
Thanks. I was split between this jacket and the alpine down. I think the light option will work fine for my needs

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
That is probably more neat than it sounds. #fadNOTfade

How much was your jacket? It looks like they don't have jackets listed but you email in for a quote?
Sorry didn’t see this

Yes, email them for a quote.
He will send you a little questionnaire and ask for measurements. It took almost twice as long as the time he quoted but fit and finish is great. Paid around $500.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
does it (MH Phantom) show anywhere the amount of fill? it's pretty light at 16 oz, be interesting to see how much fill

Ghost Whisperer is a summer jacket only, a nice one at that though :)