What jacket for 5-7oz 800+ down?

sndmn11

WKR
It is time to replace my First Lite Uncompahgre jacket.

I am looking for what I would call a "medium" insulated jacket for daily wear and to be my puffy in archery season. I currently have a Big Agnes down sweater that has about 3.5oz of 850+ down, and the Under Armour Alpine Ops Parka.

If I could find a down jacket that is semi-durable with 5-7oz of 800+ down and around 13-17oz total, I would be very happy.

Is Stone Glacier Grumman and Kuiu Ultra down all of my choices?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
SKRE Ptarmigan is a great choice in this category and more are offered in a couple solid color options for everyday wear.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Skre ptarmigan used to have 5 but I think they backed that off when they added the guardian. Maybe @realunlucky can clarify for us with his connections.

I switched from a 5 oz ptarmigan to the kreptek Ghar and have been very happy. Ghar has 5 oz plus synthetic in the pits, shoulders and wrists. It’s warmer to me than the ptarmigan was and it can be found on sale frequently. Down fill is at least 800 fps maybe more. My Ghar weighs 14 oz on my scale and is the original grey version before they went to the camo shell.

SG would be too fragile for regular daily wear based of shell material thickness.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
SKRE Ptarmigan is a great choice in this category and more are offered in a couple solid color options for everyday wear.

Do you know the fill weight off hand? I checked their page this morning and it says to call to find that out.

Do you know the fill weight off hand? I checked their page this morning and it says to call to find that out.
It was advertised as 5 when I had my jacket 3-4 years ago, ordered my dad one last month and pretty sure it is less now. Not nearly as full as mine was even after drying to fluff.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think you’re going to have to look outside of the hunting brands to get near 7oz of fill. Feathered Friends or another cottage company might offer to overstuff a jacket for you.

The Rab Microlight Alpine down jacket is another option. Has a lot of good features and almost 5.5 oz of down. Only 700 fill-power though. It can usually be found on sale.

I have used one for the past 2 seasons (archery and rifle elk hunts). Seems like a quality piece and has held up well.

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was advertised as 5 when I had my jacket 3-4 years ago, ordered my dad one last month and pretty sure it is less now. Not nearly as full as mine was even after drying to fluff.
I "think" it depends on which pattern or color the jacket is. Pretty sure that's why you need to call so they can clarify.

I'm still rocking mine from the year summit came out. Been a great jacket.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just looked and seems it depends on the pattern/color so best to call for a concrete answer.
I have an original hooded version in summit and it has been an impressive jacket. Hopefully they didn't change it to much in the newer offerings.

OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
Here is what I have found

@sndmn11 I’d highly recommend this puffy. I’ve been using it the last several seasons and if you were to compare it’s specs to the SG Grumman you’d see they are very comparable. With that said, I can’t say enough good things about RAB products in general especially if you’re a back country hunter.

And for an extra level of transparency that’s me in Idaho in 15* weather.

1668901553774.jpeg

1668901535093.jpeg

1668901865882.jpeg

Last edited:

Jake_B

Lil-Rokslider
@sndmn11 I’d highly recommend this puffy. I’ve been using it the last several seasons and if you were to compare it’s specs to the SG Grumman you’d see they are very comparable. With that said, I can’t say enough good things about RAB products in general especially if you’re a back country hunter.

And for an extra level of transparency that’s me in Idaho in 15* weather.

View attachment 476786

View attachment 476785

View attachment 476792
That 2nd pix immediately made me think it was too shiny but seeing it on you, looks like a good jacket

ljalberta

WKR
You could always look at a custom with Goosefeet Gear. I think Ryan and a number of other members have done custom jackets with Ben.

I’ll likely have one made with 8 oz of down as well.

feanor

WKR
Alpine down parka from Montbell is 7 and 17 I believe. I had one similar to it I think in a different name and it was really toasty. Wish I had kept it, but it was light blue.

j33

WKR
My Summit camo SKRE puffy was in no way 5oz down, probably closer to 4oz just looking at loft. I sold mine, was disappointing.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have a Goosefeet gear jacket with 7oz of fill. I love it only thing I would change is the face fabric weight. I went with 10D it's to fragile. She's a warm sucker though at 12 oz total weight.

8f053f1df587cf7cb629a3967169367f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
OP
sndmn11

sndmn11

WKR
I have a Goosefeet gear jacket with 7oz of fill. I love it only think I would change is the face fabric weight. I went with 10D it's to fragile. She's a warm sucker though at 12 oz total weight.

8f053f1df587cf7cb629a3967169367f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They didn't have stormtrooper white to match your rifle?