What is this?

KsRancher

WKR
A friend bought this at an auction and has no idea what it is. Anyone know. It's right at 4ft long/tall

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230816-152137_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230816-152137_Gallery.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 486

CCooper

WKR
It looks like a plunger/ piston of sorts maybe from a set of pump jacks or a mud pump maybe. I'm with @grfox92 .

Where the oilfield folks at?

grfox92

WKR
Some type of collar for a submersible oil pump says a buddy who worked on rigs.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Chevy+Chase+and+Burton+Gilliam+in+Fletch+%281985%29.jpg

C'mon guys, it's so simple! It's all ball bearings these days!

Certainly looks to be part of a BHA. Looks like a mud motor that’s missing a collar. The bottom is odd, almost like some sort of heavy duty thread protector. But it’s been almost 10 years since my last hitch, they did it a million different ways before me and probably a million after.

Fitzwho

WKR
Bottom in the picture (what would be the top of that part) looks to be a drill pipe connection of some sort. Is there any writing stamped in that groove? Maybe a picture of that box end to see what type of threads are there.

I’d be highly surprised if it was not oilfield/drilling related. Resembles some tools that I have. Not exactly, but similar for sure. For me it resembles a mandrel for a hydraulic liner hanger running tool. The “threads” in the middle appear to not actually be threads but parallel grooves. Which is probably part of some sort of locking mechanism that goes on the OD. The fact that all the rest of the shiny parts appear to be polished seal surfaces would reiterate that.

The more I think about it and look at it, it looks like the BHA for a fishing tool. That would explain why there is such a drastic difference in the OD of the "bit" and the sub. But fishing tools come in a million different shapes, sizes, and use cases too.

TrueAt1stLight

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t believe I’m the first! That’s a 1968 Gen. 1.8 model Dickfer, in rare platinum finish. There’s only like 150 known to still exist.