What is the ultimate gear list.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yep, that's how it works!

Patrick just gave me his Grivel and it's as long as the extended snoscopic. They don't make one that long anymore, so I better not let er fly of a cliff:)

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Like I mentioned before, I'm no Alaska expert, but down in the lower 48, my modified micro spikes will get me just about anywhere. We crossed several glaciers on James's goat hunt and were lucky we didn't die, but that situation doesn't happen very often.

The areas in Colorado I go have large snow fields and glaciers at certain times of the year, but you can walk around them pretty easy, so I choose that over packing the weight and bulk of my BD's.

Having said all that, I've come of the mountain on 4th season goat hunts a couple times because I didn't bring my ice axe, spikes or CP's:) But it did have them in the truck (great place for them). It didn't ruin the hunt, but I did have to walk my fat ass back up the 13 K peak because I was to lazy to pack them in the first place!
Crampons are basically a necessity if you are hunting on a big glacier. They are also good for getting out of bad spots but you need to be practiced and actually have used them both on dry land and ice. I have only had to use them twice to help cut steps when I got snowed in. I find that the more I sheep hunt the more I
make sure that I have them. They are more important to me than many things because they can get you out of trouble. I use ice axe for support and cutting steps.

Sincerely,
Thomas

OP
60x

60x

WKR
I think those micro spikes would work great for me but the only drawback I found when I looked at them was I didn't think I could get them over my size 12 koflach.

Aron do you guys do anything special to deal with or train for the altitude or is it something you just get used to. Any special gear for altitude?
And great list thanks for sharing!
Dave

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Where I generally sheep hunt (Brooks, the section of AK range I have hunted, and the Talkeetnas) I don't take any traction devices along. But if I hunted over in the real mountains and glaciers that Kaboku hunts (the Wrangles) I think I'd take some more serious approach to my gripition (is that a word ;) ) gear.

10-20 mile approaches up moraine and glacier would justify having some serious equipment, but I'm not that tough or have knowledge of glacier travels. Not as tough as Thomas or his wife to do the style sheep hunts they do!

Sorry Thomas had to rip your pic ;)

Stid2677

WKR
I use an Ice Axe and microspikes when needed,, I like the Ice Axe trekking pole combo.

60x,, I bet you could modify a standard pair of crampons by maybe grinding them down some, maybe even remove the tow spikes. I know they make those in large enough sizes to fit on your Koflachs.

IMGP2730.jpg

Last edited:
OP
60x

60x

WKR
60x,, I bet you could modify a standard pair of crampons by maybe grinding them down some, maybe even remove the tow spikes. I know they make those in large enough sizes to fit on your Koflachs.

That was my thinking as well when I was looking for new ones and couldn't find any. I finally, on a tip from you, picked up the hillsounds and couldn't be happier so far. They are tight but they fit. I even let a friend use them down in Seward on a goat hunt and thanked me for making his hunt successful. Its kind of funny but I never really thought I needed them before but now that I carry them they make a huge difference and I find lots of uses for them...they won't be leaving my pack anytime soon.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think those micro spikes would work great for me but the only drawback I found when I looked at them was I didn't think I could get them over my size 12 koflach.

Aron do you guys do anything special to deal with or train for the altitude or is it something you just get used to. Any special gear for altitude?
And great list thanks for sharing!
Dave

I live at 6,000 feet and spend most of the year between 11,500-13,000, so I'm pretty well accustomed to thin air/no oxygen :)

cwh

Lil-Rokslider
Im fairly inexperienced with snow, I just know it makes me tired to walk in. Am I reading this correctly that some of you use crampons to get traction in the snow? What about the fresh powdery stuff when your boots only sink a couple of inches? Do you use crampons for that too?

Mainly when you get snow on a steep slope. The microspike style is nice because they pack well and don't poke holes in stuff (as much). They are really nice for coming down steep slippery stuff.

cwh

Lil-Rokslider
60x, have you tried the Kahtoola's? Actually, with Koflach's a modified clip in would make more sense, given that the boots are designed for them.

Also, on climbing gear: For goat hunts, I bring ice climbing rope, a BD Alpine Bod harness, 2 locking carabiners, and a handful of non-lockers. Also some misc mule tape and a couple loops of 6mm cord. The problem with climbing gear is that everyone in the party needs to know at least the basics of how to use it. Otherwise, it can work against you. I don't have the avalanche/snow experience that I wish I did, but I have the rock climbing experience to at least know how to use the equipment. If nothing else, 100 feet of mule tape or good cord can be used to lower packs through tricky sections, which can be a big deal on the way down.

OP
60x

60x

WKR
60x, have you tried the Kahtoola's? Actually, with Koflach's a modified clip in would make more sense, given that the boots are designed for them.

Also, on climbing gear: For goat hunts, I bring ice climbing rope, a BD Alpine Bod harness, 2 locking carabiners, and a handful of non-lockers. Also some misc mule tape and a couple loops of 6mm cord. The problem with climbing gear is that everyone in the party needs to know at least the basics of how to use it. Otherwise, it can work against you. I don't have the avalanche/snow experience that I wish I did, but I have the rock climbing experience to at least know how to use the equipment. If nothing else, 100 feet of mule tape or good cord can be used to lower packs through tricky sections, which can be a big deal on the way down.

cwh I honestly have not tried them.. Up until I got the hillsounds I just had a crappy pair of some knock off that I hardly ever use.. I do like the clip in styles but have to do some modifyin.. I really like to have use of my toes on my boots..

Great advive on climbin gear, I honestly just dont have the experience so its probably best to stay out of my pack.. We have it at came where I worked and if there were ever a need there were a couple of guides with the proper experience..