What is the most cost effective 2P floorless/stove combo?

I've spent a lot of money on gear lately. I was hoping to have enough left in my "secret hunting crap stash" to buy a floorless shelter/stove combo as well, such as a kifaru TUT or SO cimmeron. Now I'm looking for cheaper options just so maybe I can still get one and practice with it during turkey season. I just need it to be big enough for 2 people with gear and a stove at the most, and usually that second person will be my 8 year old son. I looked at the Titanium goat tipis and I wish they made one just a tad bigger than the vertex 5. My son and I might fit just fine in the 5, even with the stove, but I'm assuming that it would be too tight for 2 adults with stove and gear since they don't recommend it.

Hunter6

WKR
Personally get the tent you want the tut or the Cimarron and buy the stove later when the fund is replenished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you compromise on the shelter and end up with one that you're not happy with, you're just going to end up selling it and spending the money in the future. I agree with Hunter6, buy the right shelter now and the stove later, you'll be happier in the end. You could also look at building your own stove (plenty of information in the DIY section), which would save you roughly 30% of the cost of a stove.

I've always thought cost-effective can be defined many ways. Buying something which is less pricey and then selling it (at a loss) later to buy something better isn't cost-effective for me. That's not to say anyone should buy expensive gear or exceed their budget. More accurate to say shop carefully and be extremely confident you'll be happy with...and keeping...what you buy.

It's not a bad strategy to buy a great shelter and forego the stove initially. You can have a stove jack installed and cut the flue hole yourself later after buying a stove.

oldgoat

WKR
I have a vertex 5, you are correct, it in my mind is a solo shelter with the stove in play. Your kid may be short enough to sleep in past the stove but then there's the trying to get by the stove to get out. That's one of the things I really like about the SO shelters with double entries.

OP
N
Trust me, buying the cheapest option is not generally my style. In this case, I'm prepared to buy cheap at first and upgrade later when I have a better idea of exactly what size, options, etc. that I really want or need for the long run.
For instance, I'm really not sure if I want or need stand up room or if I want something lower to the ground that can handle high winds better. I know I want to go the floorless route, just not 100% sure on what I need most. At this point, all I know is that I want it to handle 2 people with a stove.
I will definitely look into building the stove. I love building and modifying my own stuff. I've just never used a sewing machine, so I'm not sure if I'm ready to tackle the shelter itself.

colersu22

WKR
I picked up a used mountainsmith LT last year and had a stove jack installed, now I need to buy or make a stove but im leaning towards the lite outdoors stove. Total I will be at $285 when all said and done.

Lil-Rokslider
You want be disappointed with a Luna from Bear Paw Wilderness Design. I have a Luna 6 and my son just gave me a woodstove from SO for Christmas. I can't wait to spend time in it this year. BPWD does great work and are very customer friendly.

OP
N
I picked up a used mountainsmith LT last year and had a stove jack installed, now I need to buy or make a stove but im leaning towards the lite outdoors stove. Total I will be at $285 when all said and done.

Is that the mountain shelter that looks similar to a megatarp? I just saw that one today and Ive been looking into it.

OP
N
Yeah very similar I think. I have the ugly yellow color but just saw they make it in green.

Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT Tarp 13-2019-43 Up To $12.16 OFF

You can find them on sale for less than 100 or try and find a used one.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I thought Patrick? that owns Kifaru use to own mountainsmith.

I saw the green one as well. 2 other places that showed it in green did not have it in stock and I just noticed this place says "call for availability" so green must be hard to come by.

mmw194287

WKR
That is an interesting design. I really like the ring at the top to increase headroom. Would you consider that large enough for 2 average sized adults with a stove?

I can't say for sure--you'd certainly be able to pull it off, but it would be tight depending on where you put the stove and space for gear would be limited. The one thing I never did was cut out cardboard "footprints" for the stove and two sleeping pads to play around with different arrangements/orientations.