What is the deal with latex gloves?

To clarify- its consumption of raw or undercooked from an animal that carries the appropriate larvae/tape worm.

Every black bear I've killed or helped pack out had a gut full of worms. My 2012 fall bear was loaded with worms! Cooked properly is avoided and I've never been sick, black bear from the right terrain is my favorite!

I assumed my post and common knowledge covered that, but thanks for clarifying the raw/undercooked part.

Out of all the bears I have killed or guided to in the interior, I have never seen worms, but I have seen a ton of pictures from coastal bears that have been covered in them.

As you say, bear meat is pretty darn good! I'm not sure why so many guys think it's junk meat.... A nice berry fed fall bruin makes a pretty bad ass roast.

Daniel_M

WKR
I assumed my post and common knowledge covered that, but thanks for clarifying the raw/undercooked part.

Out of all the bears I have killed or guided to in the interior, I have never seen worms, but I have seen a ton of pictures from coastal bears that have been covered in them.

As you say, bear meat is pretty darn good! I'm not sure why so many guys think it's junk meat.... A nice berry fed fall bruin makes a pretty bad ass roast.

I have pics somewhere I'll hafta dig em up. I wouldn't eat "any" bear. But I would eat one who's diet consisted of vegetation and not fish.

gelton

WKR
I have never seen anyone use them in Texas either but we dont have alot of chronic wasting disease . While there havent been any documented cases of it being transferred to humans, I for one am not taking any chances.

"Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) is a transmissible neurological disease of deer and elk that produces small lesions in brains of infected animals. It is characterized by loss of body condition, behavioral abnormalities and death. CWD is classified as a transmissible spongiform encephalopathy (TSE), and is similar to mad cow disease in cattle and scrapie in sheep.

Infectious agents of CWD are neither bacteria nor viruses, but are hypothesized to be prions. Prions are infectious proteins without associated nucleic acids.

Although CWD is a contagious fatal disease among deer and elk, research suggests that humans, cattle and other domestic livestock are resistant to natural transmission. While the possibility of human infection remains a concern, it is important to note there have been no verified cases of humans contracting CWD."

littlebuf

Banned
only thing I wear them for is skinning coyotes. I don't know whats nastier on those things the inside or the outside

Weston

Lil-Rokslider
Never used them, skinned a lot of animals including a few hundred dirty song dogs, I've never conducted anything. When my grandpa taught me how to skin he never used them, most people around here dont use them but a few do, never heard of anyone I know conducting anything

Because sometimes I want some strange:eek:. I like them for the grip and some what for keeping clean. But I only use them when I am camping not hunting from my cabin.

N Phelps

FNG
I use two pairs, the long orange ones go all the way up your arm then a latex pair over those. I've been doing that for probably 8 years or so. Easy cleanup is the main reason. But if I forget them I'll go in there gloveless. Not a huge deal.

CO_Dave

FNG
My thoughts-
After days in the backcountry, I'm as concerned with what I might transfer to the meat while processing as I am with what might come my way. It could be a day or more before the meat is cooled sufficiently to inhibit bacterial growth (i.e. in a cooler), therefore the less contact between my grubby backpacking hands the better.

Jager

WKR
I have shot a lot of animals in my day and have never once worn a pair of latex gloves while skimming, gutting or cleaning an animal. I have never seen anyone I have hunted with in Tx use them either. But seems everyone out of Texas is scared to get bloody?? I don't have any disease from it. Guess I don't get it.

...because hunters are becoming soft.

oldgoat

WKR
Didn't have computers and a lot of other stuff either at all or readily available years ago and we got along fine, but we sure use them now, just like latex gloves!

Most deer processed in Texas are hanging from a gambrel with a water hose nearby. I’ve never worn gloves in those situations either.

Killing a bull a few miles from camp and worrying about running out of drinking water before we got down off the mountain, it was nice to just peel the gloves off rather than grind blood and chunks of fat into all my backpack straps and trekking pole handles.

mtnkid85

WKR
I like to wear a cheap pair of the light rubber coated cotton gloves. A lot of our elk are late season bulls and it can be downright miserable trying to work without any type of glove, even working on a warm animal. They do keep your hands a little cleaner but they still get soaked through some what.

AKBorn

WKR
I have shot a lot of animals in my day and have never once worn a pair of latex gloves while skimming, gutting or cleaning an animal. I have never seen anyone I have hunted with in Tx use them either. But seems everyone out of Texas is scared to get bloody?? I don't have any disease from it. Guess I don't get it.

Just about everywhere in Texas one would hunt, is within easy access to running water. For guys who backpack hunt out West, or who do backpack hunts or remote fly-in hunts in Alaska, a decent water source might be a long ways away. When you have to pack water to camp on your back or carrying jugs in your hands, you don’t really want to waste a lot of water washing your hands after breaking down an animal.

Another aspect – in Texas most people don’t do more than gut the deer in the field, and some may even wait to gut the deer until they get it back to a building with a hose and running water. On a Western backpack hunt, or an Alaskan backpack or flyout hunt, the animal is typically broken down in the field and packed back to the road or to a remote airstrip. Taking steps to prevent the transfer of germs from the animal to you, or from you to the animal, is a good idea.

Glad that you’re never had a problem after gutting an animal out, but plenty of guys have experienced complications from doing so. Taking an extra step to prevent transfer of germs or disease is worth it to a lot of hunters.